Tri-brid IEMs and non-BA/non-DD technology
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 78
Is anyone familiar with the Mofasest Trio. It‘s a good price for a tribrid with Sonion EST drivers.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #18 of 78
Jun 29, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 78
Jun 29, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #20 of 78
So, where do we stand currently on tribrids? “New” ones every week it seems, but are they really new or just rebadged? I still haven’t seen where any head-fi member has the Tri Starlight. Is it truly a rebadged EJ07? It’s my favorite looking one of the possible EJ07 equivalents, and if the QC is better, it may be a real contender. Hopefully all the tribrids that are coming out will help drop the overall price of tribrids soon.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #21 of 78
We are getting a lot of tribrids with electrostats. But they are all similarly high priced, wonder when someone will make a tribrid that is much cheaper than the rest...

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #22 of 78
There's the MT300 which can be purchased for around €135
**** MT300.png

There's also the two new IEMs from Thieaudio. Here's hoping we could somehow get impressions of these IEMs!
TA1.pngTA2.png

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #23 of 78
There's the MT300 which can be purchased for around €135
**** MT300.png

There's also the two new IEMs from Thieaudio. Here's hoping we could somehow get impressions of these IEMs!
TA1.pngTA2.png
Just an FIY, the MT300 does NOT use an Electrostat.
1593515925159.png

As it doesnt have a "energizer" like in the Sonion Electrostats, the MT300 uses something similar to the Shuoer Tape (Magnetostat).

1593515991423.png

And also, Sonion Electrostats are extremely expensive
1593516072540.png

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #24 of 78
With current technology, it seems that the Sonion E-stats have trouble with upper treble, and companies are using BAs to help.

So, is the main benefit of e-stats holographic imaging and micro detail?

I wonder how a hybrid like the Sony IER-Z1R would be, with an e-stat instead of a BA? Use a large DD for bass and midrange, e-stats for upper mids/lower and mid treble, and a DD supertweeter for upper treble.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #26 of 78
With current technology, it seems that the Sonion E-stats have trouble with upper treble, and companies are using BAs to help.

So, is the main benefit of e-stats holographic imaging and micro detail?

I wonder how a hybrid like the Sony IER-Z1R would be, with an e-stat instead of a BA? Use a large DD for bass and midrange, e-stats for upper mids/lower and mid treble, and a DD supertweeter for upper treble.

Of the electrostats I've tried, they generally have good speed of transients and details.

Though, a lot of the budget CHIFI gear (cough cough Shuoer) are claiming "electostat" drivers but those are likely magnetostatic or electrets, so sort of a marketing gimick IMHO.

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #27 of 78
Of the electrostats I've tried, they generally have good speed of transients and details.

Though, a lot of the budget CHIFI gear (cough cough Shuoer) are claiming "electostat" drivers but those are likely magnetostatic or electrets, so sort of a marketing gimick IMHO.
The driver in the Tape is a magnetostat/electret, correct? Are the Sonion E-stat drivers actual electrostats? They kind of have they’re own power source in the IEM shell.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #28 of 78
The driver in the Tape is a magnetostat/electret, correct? Are the Sonion E-stat drivers actual electrostats? They kind of have they’re own power source in the IEM shell.

Yeah those without power sources are very unlikely to be true electrostats, like in the Tape. These "electrets" are supposedly charged already and they theoretically will lose their charge over time, so possibly they may be rendered inoperable once the charge is gone, but with the way how CHIFI moves so fast, we will probably have bought a new hypetrain way before any electret has totally lost the charge!

I'm not an expert in this area, so maybe the rest can advise.

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #29 of 78
Yeah those without power sources are very unlikely to be true electrostats, like in the Tape. These "electrets" are supposedly charged already and they theoretically will lose their charge over time, so possibly they may be rendered inoperable once the charge is gone, but with the way how CHIFI moves so fast, we will probably have bought a new hypetrain way before any electret has totally lost the charge!

I'm not an expert in this area, so maybe the rest can advise.

That the reason why electrets were avoided for headphones, many vintage ones now have no charge left. If they were true electrostats the power needed would be like 20x higher than 15 ohms. Seems like Chifi idea of good is just shove what ever driver in and hope it will sound good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back