tremendous climaxes
Sep 14, 2002 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Musical climaxes, I mean.

This ought to be reached by some development and should make maximum emotional impact. I have a top 20 list, but here is a start:

Classical: end of first movement of Bruckner's 9th ( I think most of the best climaxes are in classical because the buildup can be long enough to really develop)

Jazz: end of first solo in Coltrane's Transition

Pop: end of Clapton's solo in Sunshine of your Love.

Sep 14, 2002 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 39
Clasical - Beethoven's Ninth
Rock - Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Jazz-Fusion - Mahavishnu-One Word

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by ArChaos
Clasical - Beethoven's Ninth
Rock - Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Jazz-Fusion - Mahavishnu-One Word

The 9th: Do you mean just before the "Nicht diese Toene?

Stairway: Do you mean at the shift to double-tempo?

Good choices!

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 39
So many in classical, hard to name just a few, but at the top of any list must be:
-Mahler Sym 2, Resurrection.......final scence gates of heaven open before you, overwhelming power, glorious vision!
-Tchaikovsky, 1812 Over. & Capricio Italian (thrilling, breathtaking)
-Rossini Overtures, most end in a smashing manner
-Ravel, Bolero (relentless build-up to thunderous finale)
-Stravinsky, Firebird (finale) return to life of petrified knights, rejoicing!
-Mussorgsky, Picture at Exhibition (gates of kiev) bow down you fool!

Of course almost any symphony or concerto ends in dramatic climax, but the ones above are particularly dramatic and memorable.

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
-Mussorgsky, Picture at Exhibition (gates of kiev)

One of my personal favourites. Agreed.

In rock: "In the Air Tonight" - Phil Collins
"Lord Here Comes The Flood" - Peter Gabriel
"Tubular Bells Pt. 1" - Mike Oldfield
"2112" - Rush
"Ritual - Nous Sommes du Soleil" - Yes

Sep 16, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 39
massive attack - "angel" the part they play in the movie "go" when the dealer cranks up the stereo to check the girl for a wire is the peak, in my opinion.

and i have to agree with stairway. "and as we wind on down the road, our shadows taller than our souls.." the peak, in my opinion.

Sep 16, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
The 9th: Do you mean just before the "Nicht diese Toene?

Stairway: Do you mean at the shift to double-tempo?

Good choices!

9th - I don't think so..."O Freunde, nicht diese Töne" is the beginning of the vocals after the opening instrumental part of the 4th movement. I meant the ending of all the vocal part of the 4th movement ..."Freude, schöner Götterfunken" - aprox. 2 last minutes of the whole symphony... yet I think there are many more other "mini-climaxes" throughout the symphony and the vocal part itself...

zepp - yes - I meant the fast ending... see grinch's quote -"and as we wind on down the road, our shadows taller than our souls..............and especially "the end" of the ending which is the climax - and she's buying a stairway to heaven just listen to this last sentence as sung differently on each of their live recordings...
smily_headphones1.gif

edit:I guess I should have written it more detailed in my first post...so I'll add for Mahavishnu-I refer to the build-up of the guitar and keyboard/bass dialog from the beginning up to the drum solo at the end.

Sep 17, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Musical climaxes, I mean.

I had a story but I guess it won't fit here.

[size=xx-small]I had to thread-crap at least once today.[/size]

Sep 17, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 39
Magnum - On a storytellers night (particularly the live version, download it and see what I mean!)

Magnum - Kingdom of Madness (particularly the live version, download it and see what I mean!)

Cheers...

Sep 17, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 39
Mike Oldfield - "Ommadawn Pt. 1", "Amarok"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back