TrekStor Vibez
May 19, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, Do! Enjoy it.

FWIW, I recommend going into Settings -> Lock Setup, and configuring the wheel to "Lock" and volume to "Allow". This way, you can still change the volume using the dedicated volume buttons while keeping all the wheel based controls in check.

Also, very very important: When you want to save a playlist, make sure you have Repeat turned off! Otherwise the Vibez will lockup. You may want to give the Vibez FAQ over at Riovolution a read, too.
smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.riovolution.org/thread/523

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

I still do the lock set up as you mentioned. It was a PITA to get it unlocked the first few times but I since mastered the technique.

Earlier this evening I connected my Vibez (Volume Set to max and EQ flat) to my Sq84 tube headphone amp via cheap rat shack cable. Simply put I was blown away by the sound using my Allesandro MS1's!!! Wow!! Has anyone tried using a portable amp with there Vibez?

Enjoy.
Do!

May 27, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #32 of 56
I was just coming home from work this morning, lamenting to myself at the lack of a real successor to my beloved Karma. Even with its broken scroll wheel and occasional lockups, I've refused to replace it. Nothing has even come close in terms of format support and interface design, in my opinion. Which is kinda sad, when you think about it, since I got my Karma in 2005 after they were already discontinued and new stock was rapidly drying up.

So, a few minutes ago I find myself browsing dapreview, hoping maybe this time I won't come out my search more depressed than I began, and I spot a mention of this little upstart. And I see the interface looks a little familiar. Ok, really familiar. Ohh, Vorbis and FLAC support, this is promising. Gapless, you say? This is sounding an awful lot like my Karma, now. Wait a minute, reincarnation of the supposedly left-for-dead Rio Avalon? You'll have to excuse me for a moment, my jaw seems to have suddenly fallen under my desk.

Hello, Trekstor. Let me introduce my credit card. I'm sure you two will get along just fine.

The relatively teeny 12GB capacity is a bit of a downer (finding space for new music is a constant battle with my Karma as it is), but if it's even half the player the Karma was/is, I think I can live with that. I guess I'll just have to cut back on all the FLAC albums. Besides, I can always flog it/gift it/delegate it to backup player status later if a more spacious model appears.

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by barshnik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No line-out for use with an amp?

No, but the headphone jack doubles as a line-in.

Aug 16, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #35 of 56
After my Rio Karma died in the beginning of this summer I bought Trekstor Vibez. I have some questions / issues about it.

The battery life should be 20 hours. Mine is maximum 8 to 9 hours. I use flac-files. Is this short battery life normal?

My Vibez uses file names for track title. It doesn't use ID3 tag "track title". I hve used same files with Squeezebox 3 and Foobar on PC and these have no problems in showing the titel correctly. How can I get the "track title" in use? This irritates me slightly since I have to wait the "title" to scroll the the left to see the actual title (after track number and artist).

After moving new music the screen says ”Connected… Charged” but you cannot enter any other state. You can’t acces menu or play music. Unless you unplug the usb. Has anyone else experienced this?

I still do love this little thing...

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #36 of 56
No comments about battery life?

No comments about track title?

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #37 of 56
On the battery lenght, I found FLAC to eat up batteries on my Karma, likely due to the heavier HDD access requirements, so I never really tried it much on the vibez. My tunes are probably evenly split among mp3 and vorbis. With the higher CPU drain of vorbis, I probably average around 12 hours on my vibez.

As for the filenames showing up instead of the track title tags, you should be able to fix this for now by forcing a database rebuild, and long term by switching to MSC mode. I found when using MTP, even with all requisite plugins, Windows/WMP didn't know how to properly update the vibez database for anything other than mp3 and wma tracks.

HTH.

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #38 of 56
RubenNYC,

Thanks for your comments. I have as well suspected that flac needs more power. However I am suprised (slightly disappointed) af the difference.

Sorry, but I don't fully understand what you mean with MSC mode and MTP. I tried to use Google, but didn't fully get it. Anyway you suggested switching to MSC mode. How can I do it?

Or / and how can I force a database rebuild on Vibez?

I am using Windows XP and so far I have just copied and pasted the files on Vibez.

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #39 of 56
I found already the way to force database rebuild.
tongue.gif

Main Menu - > Features - > Maintenance -> Update Database!

However I would appreciate If there would be a permanent "fix" how to see the track title after loading new music.

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #40 of 56
From the vibez FAQ at Riovolution:

Quote:

How can I force the Vibez to connect to my WinXP pc in MSC mode instead of MTP?

1. Open Windows' Device Manager

2. Find the vibez in the list of devices

3. Right-click and select "Update Driver..."

4. Choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", then click Next

5. Choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.", then click Next

6. Make sure that "Show compatible hardware" is checked

7. There should be two "Models" available, "MTP Device" and "USB Mass Storage Device", choose whichever one you want to switch to, then click Next

8. Wait for Windows to do it's thing then click Finish

Thanks to peter, theRover and the folks over at Insignia DAP for this one.

After you make this change, the vibez itself will take over the responsibility of populating its own database when new tracks are copied over. This will necessarily slow down the transfer process, but your tags will display properly.

The only other downside to this is that when plugged in to WinXP in MSC mode, you can't continue listening to the vibez or access the menus. Personally, I think it's well worth the trade off.

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #41 of 56
Thanks again,

I used Goole with words "trekstor vibez faq" but failed somehow to find that page.

I did it already. Now it works fine for me.

I am glad to be part of this community. You really get help when you need it.

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by silmaauki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again,

I used Goole with words "trekstor vibez faq" but failed somehow to find that page.

Looks like Google assumes vibez means vibes. I just tried searching on "vibez" faq (with the vibez part in quotes) and the Trekstor/Rio General forum at Rivolution came up at the top of the list. Search on just "vibez faq" with quotes around those two words gives the Riovolution vibez faq itself at the top of the list.

I'll tweak the FAQ to include the phrase "TrekStor vibez FAQ". Hopefully that will help future Googlers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #43 of 56
As there aren't any other comments on the battery life issue I assume my experience of 8-9 hours with flac-files is normal.

However, I would appreciate, if anyone using only flac could verify this.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by silmaauki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As there aren't any other comments on the battery life issue I assume my experience of 8-9 hours with flac-files is normal.

However, I would appreciate, if anyone using only flac could verify this.

Considering the diminutive hard drive, you might be one of the very very few people on the planet that listen to much FLAC music on a vibez. I use about 50/50 Ogg Vorbis & mp3. I haven't officially timed it, but it feels like I get between 12 and 15 hours with a decent amount of interacting with the menus and power up/power down.

HTH.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #45 of 56
It is not too often I need to check my dictionary. However the word "diminutive" triggered this process.
tongue.gif

Any memory less than 300GB would be small for me. It doesn't matter if I have 12 GB or 50GB I still would need to continuously reload "new" music to my player. Of course more memory would mean less need for reloading, but...

Since I have everything in flac-format reloading is really easy (thanks to your tips).

I really am supprised if there are only a few other people like me.
confused.gif
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back