Treble-sensitive suggestions?
Feb 25, 2022 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Amras

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

Came into some cash and looking for suggestions for my next level up. Been out of the market for years and need help catching up. It's really frustrating that there are so few places near me to try these out in advance.

- looking to spend around up to $1k including headphones and portable amp(if needed.) Would prefer closed back.

- Longtime rig is a 580 precision, and a fiio e11.

- Need something on the warmer, less bright side. Im guessing that I'm a little over sensitive on the treble side, certain headphones sound almost painful/shrill to my ears, eg grado 80. I recently tried a focal elegia, similar experience. Also tried an Audeze 2 which was closer to what I was looking for.

- Not a overly analytical focused person, I tend to be willing to trade that for more "musical" gear. Eg Rega, Rotel.

- listen to mostly rock, folk, blues, jazz. Not overly bass heavy.

Thanks so much in advance guys, kinda psyched to step it up.

Russ

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 15
You might like the LCD-XC, but it's at the top of your budget used.

DT177X is not harsh like the DT1990. And there's also the HD600/650--those are easy to listen to with plenty of money to spare on an amp/dac, but are open.

There's also the ZMF Atticus, but it's sort of semi-open/vented.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 15
And there's also the HD600/650-

Second that. I think the HD650s are the safest choice. Although HD650s high mids (3-4K) could be bright to some, and high mids can be easily confused with treble.
"Treble sensitive" in practice may well be a wider range in the higher registers, including high mids starting at 3-4K or just a specific narrow range.

1645838744379.png

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 15
Hi all!

Came into some cash and looking for suggestions for my next level up. Been out of the market for years and need help catching up. It's really frustrating that there are so few places near me to try these out in advance.

- looking to spend around up to $1k including headphones and portable amp(if needed.) Would prefer closed back.

- Longtime rig is a 580 precision, and a fiio e11.

- Need something on the warmer, less bright side. Im guessing that I'm a little over sensitive on the treble side, certain headphones sound almost painful/shrill to my ears, eg grado 80. I recently tried a focal elegia, similar experience. Also tried an Audeze 2 which was closer to what I was looking for.

- Not a overly analytical focused person, I tend to be willing to trade that for more "musical" gear. Eg Rega, Rotel.

- listen to mostly rock, folk, blues, jazz. Not overly bass heavy.

There so much in advance guys, kinda psyched to step it up.

Russ
Get a used mojo (mojo 1 not 2) and a single-ended class A solid state amp. Asgard used to fit the bill but that is no longer single-ended.

Feb 26, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 15
There is only one pair of closed back headphones I can think of: Audioquest NightOwl, but these are discontinued.
Audio Technica ATH-A900Z/990Z (same headphones, different colors, green Europe, blue US/Asia) are pretty smooth in the highs as well.

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 15
When I think "warm closed-back headphones," the headphones that come to mind first are things like the Meze 99, E-Mu Teak, Denon 5200/7200, Fostex TH610, etc.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 15
When I think "warm closed-back headphones," the headphones that come to mind first are things like the Meze 99, E-Mu Teak, Denon 5200/7200, Fostex TH610, etc.
Well, you mentioned you are treble sensitive and all those above are pretty bright on top, the Meze maybe less so.

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 15
Closed-back headphones often tend to be more V-shaped. The bass is more pronounced but so is the treble.

Audioquest NightOwl is a warm closed-back and has been my daily driver for a few years now, but it's no longer being made. I also prefer a warmer sound signature and I find many audiophile headphones to have piercing bright treble and sibilance that I don't like.

Meze 99 is a good option. I've also heard good things about the Beyerdynamic T5 3rd gen, but it would be at the top of your budget, and I haven't personally tried them.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 15
I would say LCD-2C (which means Classic, not closed) it's easy to drive and a great all around headphone. But you said you tried LCD-2, I'm not sure which one.

Feb 27, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for the suggestions will ck them out.

- tried the lcd-2 classic, liked it. Was considering the lcd closed, but haven’t had a chance to try them out.

- I also struggle with the diminishing returns concept. Not that the senn 600/650 is the be and end all of headphones, but I debate with myself if dropping 5x the price gets me 5x the improvement. What is that next level up from the senn 6xx that everyone would say is a significant upgrade?

Feb 27, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #13 of 15
Thanks for the suggestions will ck them out.

- tried the lcd-2 classic, liked it. Was considering the lcd closed, but haven’t had a chance to try them out.

- I also struggle with the diminishing returns concept. Not that the senn 600/650 is the be and end all of headphones, but I debate with myself if dropping 5x the price gets me 5x the improvement. What is that next level up from the senn 6xx that everyone would say is a significant upgrade?
LCD-2C is a a sidegrade but it's quite a good complement since it has slam, is romantic, and not harsh.

With a good amp, you can spend 5X the price before you get an upgrade from HD 600s (not sure about 650/6XX) in many aspects.

Feb 27, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #14 of 15
100% on the 650- Planning on picking up a Drop 6xx next time it goes on sale. First priority tho is a closed back set
K371 are fairly dialled down in the treble if you want to keep the total headphone budget under $1000. Otherwise, maybe the Dan Clark planar collab with Drop?

You tend to be dealing with a lot of tonality issues going up in price after that... maybe the LCD-XC 2021 Edition, which was suggested earlier.

Next step up after 6XX at the moment would be the HIFIMAN Edition XS, but it is a little bright in the upper treble (12kHz spike). If you're willing to dabble in Chi-Fi, the next steps are the Nan-6 and then the GL1200, but one will probably need a stronger amp, and the other will need a totally different amp due to its ribbon drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back