treating myself to some headphones
Dec 2, 2008 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KdF

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for something to treat myself to for Christmas, I thought what would be better than some new headphones? Sure I could read countless reviews, but I wanted some expert opinions!
smily_headphones1.gif

I currently own these Sennheisers These are decent but I am looking for something better.

I was looking at these two Sennheisers:
Sennheiser HD 280PRO
Sennheiser HD555 (friend told me that I have to "burn in" these headphones for 100 hours, is it worth it?)

I mainly want to listen to music, but I also like to play online shooters. I want to experience all sounds that were meant to be heard in the song, and take advantage of flac audio. I wanna smoke a J and lay down and be absolutely immersed in the music.

Anyways.....

I also have this sound card Audigy SB0232. Will this be enough to get the full experience out of those headphones, or should I purchase something newer? My current motherboard has the sound chipset Realtek ALC662 with 6 audio channels.

Thanks for reading!

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 13
A700

Get out while you still can. Otherwise you'll be sucked in to the never ending vortex of upgraditis.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 13
that audigy will drive either of those headphones well.
ive had both of those. the 280 has more range- better highs and lows, but squeezes your head. also has a tendency to break at the headband. the hd555 is a decent open air can- comfy, decent range but i wanted more. both are several times better than what u have. are you hooked on sennheiser? whats your budget?

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by batmanwcm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A700

Get out while you still can. Otherwise you'll be sucked in to the never ending vortex of upgraditis.

Buying these ones, I've had upgraditus with my cpus over the past 6 years and I don't like it. Thanks for the link batman!

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KdF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I've had upgraditus with my cpus over the past 6 years and I don't like it.

You have no idea.
evil_smiley.gif

I used to upgrade computer equipment. Audio isn't like getting the faster proc, it's more like overeating at a buffet that has lots of interesting flavors.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Since the AD700s are going to be open, the soundstage is gonna be bigger. So people say that they're pretty good as gaming phones. However FWIR, they are somewhat bass lean (in quantity) compared to the A700. So it really depends on what genres you listen to and how much you value your bass.
L3000.gif
If you mostly listen to classical, acoustic or jazz, then the AD700s would seem to be a better option.

Note: These opinions are what I have gathered going on head-fi and reading what other people say. I have no personal experiences with either of these phones (yet). But I am getting the AD700s because I do listen to classical and jazz most of the time.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KdF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I am looking for something to treat myself to for Christmas, I thought what would be better than some new headphones? Sure I could read countless reviews, but I wanted some expert opinions!
smily_headphones1.gif

I currently own these Sennheisers These are decent but I am looking for something better.

I was looking at these two Sennheisers:
Sennheiser HD 280PRO
Sennheiser HD555 (friend told me that I have to "burn in" these headphones for 100 hours, is it worth it?)

I mainly want to listen to music, but I also like to play online shooters. I want to experience all sounds that were meant to be heard in the song, and take advantage of flac audio. I wanna smoke a J and lay down and be absolutely immersed in the music.

Anyways.....

I also have this sound card Audigy SB0232. Will this be enough to get the full experience out of those headphones, or should I purchase something newer? My current motherboard has the sound chipset Realtek ALC662 with 6 audio channels.

Thanks for reading!

Newer sound cards, like the Creative Labs X-Fi titanium (PCI-Express),
the Asus Xonar D1 (PCI) or the Asus Xonar DX (PCI-express),
should provide better sound.
I'm thinking of getting the Xonar DX myself.

I really like my Audio Technica ATH-AD500s headphones.
They are so comfortable on the head
So I would say go for the ATH-AD700s.

P.S. "smoking" J is bad for your lungs, use a vaporizer.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

P.S. "smoking" J is bad for your lungs, use a vaporizer.

tell me how to make one that doesn't involve a ****ing lightbulb and im in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back