Travelling the world on the cheap: Learn me.
Mar 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Headphoneus Supremus
I am a contractor in the "Greater Seattle Area" and my contact ends in about 6 months. After that, I *can* get hired back to the position, but not until a 6-month break. I'd rather not look for work in this area during that time, for the following reasons:

* If I find a job, chances are it'll pay way less than this one
* I want to go back to school
* I want to do something "community-oriented" like Peace Corps, Red Cross, etc. etc.
* I want to travel.

I figure i'm 25, I have a mandatory 6-month hiatus from my job, and I want to travel and go to college.... what better opportunity than now to do this
smily_headphones1.gif

Problem is, I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on airfare (or at least would rather not). I'll probably have roughly 500 in savings come August. That being said, I do have 8500$US in combined credit limit, so if I have to put a bunch on credit cards to afford an amazing, unforgettable life experience, obviously i'm willing to do so.

So... i know a bit about CouchSurf.org (or .net or whatever) and Hostels; what other options are available to me? I only have a high school diploma & 5 college credits, so I don't think i'd qualify for Peace Corps. My ideal / desired locations are as follows:

New Zealand
Australia
Africa (any part)
Siberia
Brazil
Tibet
Japan
Hawaii
any other amazing place that i've probably forgotten about

Thank you very much
beerchug.gif

EDIT: BTW I don't mind working while i'm abroad, if that means helping at a farm or washing dishes or whatever. If that funds my trip, all the better. I'm a versatile hard working dude
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 11
How about a freighter cruise? Freighters can take around 12 passengers, and they're much cheaper than a cruise. Supposedly, the food is excellent and the cabins are nice. You shouldn't have any trouble hooking up with a Pacific Rim country out of Seattle. Google for freight cruises and you'll find a handful of agencies that book them.

If you want to earn your way, you could try the merchant marine. There's some training involved, but a job will take you around the world with pay and food. Another avenue onto a merchant ship is getting a GROL license with all the marine radar/communications endorsements. You can work the radar and/or radios and get paid to go everywhere.

Another cheap way to go everywhere would be to join the military reserve. Once you're in, you can hop cargo flights to bases all over the world for free. Since you went to college, you can go in as an officer. You'll get some pay each month, medical benefits, and 20 years in the reserve will get you a full military retirement.

You can also find work teaching English abroad - I've known several who have loved it. You can also go on missions through religious organizations.

Speaking of which, you can usually find cheap lodging at religious buildings around the world. They're usually clean, quiet and cheap. However, quite a few have curfews and don't want drunks stumbling around, etc. But if they fit your needs, there's nothing better.

You might also want to look at seasonal jobs abroad. Some places hire temps that speak English to help with their tourists. A friend in undergrad worked a couple summers at a theme park in Japan. They flew him over, put him up, fed him, and (IIRC) he got something like $8k-$9k in pay, and this was in the early 1990s.

So look around and take anything interesting that turns up. Take a few risks and have an adventure.

Mar 8, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 11
How did you get so damned wise, Uncle Erik?

Mar 8, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not on your list of places, but if you hit Spain you can stay at mine for a while.....are you any good at gardening
normal_smile .gif

Oh I totally forgot! Yes, i'd like to see a bullfight at some point in my life. Speaking of which -- The Running Of The Bulls, is it only crazy people and idiots that do that, or a mix of folks? And is the country that has the massive tomato fight or is that somewhere else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another cheap way to go everywhere would be to join the military reserve.

These days though, I think i'd just be shipped off to combat zones...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of which, you can usually find cheap lodging at religious buildings around the world. They're usually clean, quiet and cheap. However, quite a few have curfews and don't want drunks stumbling around, etc. But if they fit your needs, there's nothing better.

Wow, why didn't I think of that? I am going through the Twelve Steps right now, so drunkenness and/or curfews isn't a big deal :p I actually have harbored a fantasy of living in a buddhist monastery for quite a while now, but any church/monastery/etc would probably do.. this is a really great idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you get so damned wise, Uncle Erik?

x2
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I totally forgot! Yes, i'd like to see a bullfight at some point in my life. Speaking of which -- The Running Of The Bulls, is it only crazy people and idiots that do that, or a mix of folks? And is the country that has the massive tomato fight or is that somewhere else

Pamplona is a great party atmosphere, never been but it's live on TV. A few take it very seriously but most do it for fun. Until they get rammed ( They soon stop laughing )

Running of the Bulls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Tomatina is also in Spain about 1 1/2 drive north from me, also a great party atmosphere ( Spanish people know how to party !!! ) Great fun.

Tomatina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back