Traveling w/ a Guitar
Aug 31, 2006 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dumas045

New Head-Fier
I'm heading out to college in about three weeks, and I was wondering what are some people's experiences carrying on their guitar on the plane. It's my only option right now besides shipping it since I don't have a hardshell case. Don't really want to ship it b/c it'd be a waste of money (cheap Yamaha electric).

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't honestly see how it's even an option, your carry-on bags usually have to fit in the overhead bins or under your seat, and it seems that it'd be difficult to cram a guitar in either one of those. It seems to me that your only option is to ship it if you're not willing to buy a hard case. Lucky for me, I can drive to college
cool.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 16
I have traveled at least 6 times with my guitar. This was in Europe and the staff didn't create any problems about taking it inside the plane was hand luggage. that said, it is really simple to call you airline company and ask them for details about this. They are usually really helpful and will certainly answers all your questions.

One warning though. I was always told by other guitar players and people in the music business to loosen the strings. They said that the pressure differences while landing and taking off can cause the strings to break. I never searched if this is true or not but I always do it just as safety measure. I have an acoustic guitar, I'm not sure if this applies to electric guitars aswell.

Good luck in college!!!!

Aug 31, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 16
How about packing it securely in a box and putting it into checked luggage? I've done that many times with a variety of items and they never blink an eye. Never had anything damaged, either.

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
How about packing it securely in a box and putting it into checked luggage? I've done that many times with a variety of items and they never blink an eye. Never had anything damaged, either.

Can't... I'm only allowed to have 2 checked luggage, I'm already using for my clothes, items, amp, etc.

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 16
SOMETIMES they can be nice and let you stash it in the coat rack in first class. sometimes. most times i get stuck stuffing it in the overhead, not fun. yep, a hardshell case is a must, just in case they make you put it in cargo if there's zero room on the plane - in those cases they won't hold you to the 3-luggage limit since you were trying to bring it on. make certain you get a hardshell case that fits the new standards of overhead bins - dimensions have shrunk over time and the older cases may not fit.

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 16
Most airlines have been perfectly accomodating for my guitar, the few times I've traveled with it. I usually fly Air Canada, Air Transat, or Virgin Atlantic. It's an electric. Air Canada, on one of their short haul flights, it wouldn't fit in the overhead bin... the flight attendants were very good about it and offered to keep it in their stewarding area.

The only airline that I've had issues with is American Airlines. They pretty much said, if it didn't fit, they'd have to check it in. My saviour was a family sitting right behind the bulkhead (they had a larger bin) who kindly offered to swap bins.

Aug 31, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 16
On some guitars it's possible to unscrew the neck, this way it's not as tall.(there is a chance that you totally trash your guitar by doing this) On expensive guitars I would use a hardcase instead though
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 16
I've flown once with an electric checked as baggage at the counter. No probs on the departing flight. The return flight however, my guitar was withheld for a whole day for inspection, which scared the crap out of me when I was at the baggage carousel.

I'm flying again this Dec. on a Mcdonnell douglas SP80 with an archtop, I don't really feel like doing baggage check with this baby, anyone have any experience with carrying on an electric on a SP80 packed in a hardshell case with latches? The guide posted before me stated that the SP80 is a "guitar friendly" plane, but I really want a frequent flyer's opinion.

Catch you later,
Id

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
SOMETIMES they can be nice and let you stash it in the coat rack in first class. sometimes. most times i get stuck stuffing it in the overhead, not fun. yep, a hardshell case is a must, just in case they make you put it in cargo if there's zero room on the plane - in those cases they won't hold you to the 3-luggage limit since you were trying to bring it on. make certain you get a hardshell case that fits the new standards of overhead bins - dimensions have shrunk over time and the older cases may not fit.

Yes. This is what I have done, or, some plans have small storage closet things. If you get there a bit early and speak to some people real nice like they will usually help you out...checking guitars is baaaad news. although if its a cheap electric and you have a hard case...you might want to give it a try. Good luck

Sep 1, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24
I've flown once with an electric checked as baggage at the counter. No probs on the departing flight. The return flight however, my guitar was withheld for a whole day for inspection, which scared the crap out of me when I was at the baggage carousel.

I'm flying again this Dec. on a Mcdonnell douglas SP80 with an archtop, I don't really feel like doing baggage check with this baby, anyone have any experience with carrying on an electric on a SP80 packed in a hardshell case with latches? The guide posted before me stated that the SP80 is a "guitar friendly" plane, but I really want a frequent flyer's opinion.

Catch you later,
Id

You have big COJONES! there is no way I would take a nice archtop on a plane. I do not care if it is in the cabin or not. Planes can change at the last minute and the so called guitar friendly became a Cessna.

Sep 2, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 16
You really think so? What's the difference in taking an archtop and flying with an acoustic? I'm going to try to carry it with me into the plane, I've read many successful attempts at doing this with American Airlines. Still, you're right, I'm spooked at the thought that something might go wrong. I'm going to be gone for a month, and the thought of not playing during that time is out of the question.

Catch you later,
Id

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #15 of 16
Has anyone ever heard of Northwest Airlines changing their planes to accomodate musical instruments? My friend told me that some Continental Airlines planes have special compartment at the front for guitars, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back