Traveling to NYC, Boston and Washington DC - Sightseeng tips please!
Jul 18, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #16 of 20
Heh. I was born in Indonesia - hot and humid may not be my preferred weather, but I know how to survive it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Calling once again for New York tips...!

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #17 of 20
Lots of good suggestions for Boston already -- I'd just add:

1. Harvard Square in Cambridge. Very nice place, you can walk through Harvard Yard, and John Harvard's has some good house brews. If you're into pipe or cigar smoking, you should stop by Leavitt & Pierce, a great old-fashioned smoke shop. They also have a lot of nice knick-knacks.

2. Copley Square and nearby Newbury Street are really nice too. At the top of Newbury St. there's a bar/restaurant called Bukowski's too, which looks pretty cool on the inside. But Sunset has a better selection of beers, I think.

3. If you're into art, check out the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum as well as the Museum of Fine Arts. They're right next to each other. The Gardner Museum is known for all the great art they've packed in to such a small museum as well as a fairly notorious art heist 10-20 (??) years ago. Several Rembrandts were stolen and never recovered.

Oh, and I'd personally skip the ICA. I went there in March, I think, and found it a complete waste of time and money. Extremely pretentious and self-loving place with mostly ridiculous modern "art" exhibits like videos of actual eyeballs on the floor, etc. One of their exhibits is a bunch of computers featuring video "exhibits" talking about how amazing the ICA is, how amazing the people involved are, etc.

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 20
Oh, if you're going to the AMNH, check out one or two of the space shows! They're really nice (plus, the AMNH uses one of the most sophisticated projectors in the world, not kidding).
And if your family includes kids, check out the NY Hall of Science in Queens. It's really nice and has a playground.
Maybe a Mets or Yankees game?
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #19 of 20
Well, I don't think my 12-year old sister would appreciate being dropped off at a playground. Yeah, my whole family is going - Dad, Mom, me, younger brother, sister.

Thanks for the tips Beta! Not much of a baseball fan though...

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Renwick Gallery is the Smithsonian's Museum of American Craft. It's on the same block as the White House.

DC has a lot of art.....one shouldn't miss the national gallery: They have a lot of traveling exhibits as well....so I try to go whenever I'm in town. Across from the Renwick is the Corcoran (it's another that's not free). The museum itself has nice space IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back