Traveling to NYC, Boston and Washington DC - Sightseeng tips please!
Jul 17, 2007 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

roastpuff

Headphoneus Supremus
As the title states, I'm heading out with the family to those three cities in mid-August. What can I do, where should I go, and anything special I need to know?

Already going to book tickets for some performances on Broadway in NYC. Any good places to eat, things to see and so on?

Not sure about what to do in Boston.

Not sure either on what to do in DC besides the White House tour.

Thanks for all the help!

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 20
Boston: Go on a Duck Tour. Go to Faneuil Hall. See Fenway Park. Go to the Sunset Grill and Tap if you like beer.

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 20
Make sure to go to the Miracle of Science restaurant in Cambridge, it's definitely worth it.

In Boston itself the ICA is great. (Institute of Contemporary Art)

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 20
  1. spend an afternoon walking through Central Park.
  2. visit the Met (know what you want to see so you don't miss it).
  3. walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
  4. eat at Esca before one of the Broadway shows (make reservations!).
  5. go see A Midsummer Night's Dream at Shakespeare in the Park at the Delacorte.

Jul 17, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure either on what to do in DC besides the White House tour.

Since 9/11 they no longer have open tours in the White House....you have to have like 6 months notice from your congressman and have a group of at least 10. If you try to sneak past the gates, they have snipers on the roof!
wink.gif

They've limited tours of the capital building as well....you have to stand out in line early in the morning to be able to get a ticket for that day. So if you don't have a whole lot of time in DC, I'd skip that and just see the monuments and museums in the Mall.

If you're into beer and steak, the District Chophouse has the best microbrewed stouts and great selection of meats.

Jul 17, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since 9/11 they no longer have open tours in the White House....you have to have like 6 months notice from your congressman and have a group of at least 10. If you try to sneak past the gates, they have snipers on the roof!
wink.gif

They've limited tours of the capital building as well....you have to stand out in line early in the morning to be able to get a ticket for that day. So if you don't have a whole lot of time in DC, I'd skip that and just see the monuments and museums in the Mall.

If you're into beer and steak, the District Chophouse has the best microbrewed stouts and great selection of meats.

Geez, I need to make note of that. *scribbles furiously* I just want to claim that I went to the bathroom inside the White House, honest!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys!

Only one New Yawkah chiming so far... where are the rest of you guys?! It should be about dinnertime over there...

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 20
Well having been to New York a few times and visiting this past weekend, I'd highly recommend Central Park, and if possible, a Broadway show. I've been to three different shows at this point, and each one has been absolutely stellar.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 20
You can spend a year just sightseeing in D.C. but the must-see is the Museum of Natural History (dinosaur bones, Hope diamond), followed by the Museum of Science and Technology. The Mint is cool, as is the Spy Museum. Arlington Cemetery will make you think about what it took to make our country what it is. All of those are easily accessible via the Metro. Buy everyone a Metro card and just wave it at the sensor as you pass instead of feeding tickets into a slot. I think you need to get the card at the Metro office in the mall above the Rosslyn stop but it's been a while so I could be wrong.

You could also run up to Maryland to Annapolis or drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (17 miles long with a restaurant in the middle). Out west a bit the Shenandoah National Park has great hiking and views.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of those are easily accessible via the Metro. Buy everyone a Metro card and just wave it at the sensor as you pass instead of feeding tickets into a slot. I think you need to get the card at the Metro office in the mall above the Rosslyn stop but it's been a while so I could be wrong.

They don't have tokens or anything now. It's just a debit card that doesn't take anytime to to use and add money. The Metro has higher rates during rush hour, but still isn't very expensive. When I stay in DC for business, I usually average about $5 a day on regular fair (and I have to take the Metro to go all the way out to Maryland). They have a day pass for $6....all passes can be bought at vending machines at stations that have parking lots (and farecards can be bought at any station). A "farecard" machine is their normal paper debit that excepts bills and "passes/faircards" lets you pay with credit card for a day or week pass.

When I was in Boston last year, they were getting rid of their token system downtown.....but all the green line subways only took tokens when they became above ground trains. Hopefully they've finished all that....it was a pain to have to get tokens and passes!!!

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

You can spend a year just sightseeing in D.C. but the must-see is the Museum of Natural History (dinosaur bones, Hope diamond), followed by the Museum of Science and Technology. The Mint is cool, as is the Spy Museum. Arlington Cemetery will make you think about what it took to make our country what it is. All of those are easily accessible via the Metro. Buy everyone a Metro card and just wave it at the sensor as you pass instead of feeding tickets into a slot. I think you need to get the card at the Metro office in the mall above the Rosslyn stop but it's been a while so I could be wrong.

You could also run up to Maryland to Annapolis or drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (17 miles long with a restaurant in the middle). Out west a bit the Shenandoah National Park has great hiking and views.

I have not been to DC since middle school, but from memories I think that the Natural History Museum in New York is the best I have seen by far. Of course, if you have time and interest check out both.

Other than the previously mentioned things to do in New York I can't really think of much. Central park really is unique, if your schedule allows for it being bored in the park and just walking/sitting around can be fun.

In Boston I like the public gardens a lot. Did you ever read Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey? They have bronze statues of the ducks, way cool I think.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not been to DC since middle school, but from memories I think that the Natural History Museum in New York is the best I have seen by far. Of course, if you have time and interest check out both.

AMNH has the new "Hall of Human Origins" which is really spectacular. my 4yo son saw it and now tells all his friends about evolution.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't have tokens or anything now. It's just a debit card that doesn't take anytime to to use and add money. The Metro has higher rates during rush hour, but still isn't very expensive. When I stay in DC for business, I usually average about $5 a day on regular fair (and I have to take the Metro to go all the way out to Maryland). They have a day pass for $6....all passes can be bought at vending machines at stations that have parking lots (and farecards can be bought at any station). A "farecard" machine is their normal paper debit that excepts bills and "passes/faircards" lets you pay with credit card for a day or week pass.

If you're staying out of town and parking at a Metro stop, you have to have a card to get out of the parking lot. They are available at every Metro stop that has parking lots as well as commuter stores at some stops. Passes are not usable early in the morning, I think before 9:30, so if you like to get an early start, they're not for you.

As for what to see, the suggestions have been good with one exception. We don't have a mint, we have the Bureau of Printing and Engraving which prints paper money. We tried to take relatives there 5 years ago and there was a 6 month wait for tickets. I don't know what the wait is now, but if you want to do this, look into it before you get here.

Besides the Smithsonian on the mall, there are a few other very good museums.

The Philips Collection near Dupont Circle has modern art from the Impressionists on. It's not part of the Smithsonian, so there it's not free, but it is very nice.

The Textile Musuem has interesting exhibits if you're into textiles (my wife is). It's also near Dupont Circle and not free.

The Renwick Gallery is the Smithsonian's Museum of American Craft. It's on the same block as the White House.

The memorials may be more interesting to Americans than Canadians, but I think everyone can be moved by the Vietnam Memorial and the Korean War Memorial.

Old Town Alexandria and Dupont Circle are both both interesting areas to walk around. Eclectic shops, good restaurants, and good for people watching.

The Kennedy Center has free concerts every day at 6PM. They have stages set up at either end of the lobby and put out a few hundred seats. They have all types of music. The schedule is not yet posted for August, but here's the link for the schedule http://www.kennedy-center.org/progra.../schedule.html

Keep in mind that unless you're very lucky, you won't like the weather here in August. It will be hot and humid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back