Travel headphone conundrum -any advice?
Feb 2, 2022 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sashua

Head-Fier
I have been on the hunt for a truly audiophile headphone. Something that is over ear, preferably closed and most importantly....portable.

I do a lot of business travel and it is pretty annoying that I can't just grab my briefcase and go - due to the size of my Audeze LCD-X headphones. I'd love something that either folds flat with narrow earcups or is modular, so I can take the cups off and lay the parts flat. As much as is possible while still being a truly high end option.

I've looked but my research has turned up little that isn't a serious compromise.

Any advice?

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 12
I don't know how small you're looking for or if ANC is important--I fly with the Sennheiser Momentum 3. Have also heard the Beyer Lagoon (wouldn't recommend), XM4, Bose, Fidelio L3, etc. 2nd to the Momentum and smaller would be the L3--it's built beautifully, not too big, and clarity is excellent. Bass is not as prominent as the Senns.

If you're looking for closed back wired headphones, then these won't all apply, though some can be run wired.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 12
I also travel(led) about 12 times a year on planes and I never even thought to take a pair of headphones. I use a pair of SE215s, they seal well and I take them with me when I go to the other can. Given the huge ambient noise on planes and the bulk of a closed pair of headphones that could help at all, it seems like reasonable IEMs that seal well are the least bad choice.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 12
I've never been a fan of IEM's. Tried tons of them but never found one that was worth a damn or even sealed properly to my ears.
In this case I'm going to be stubborn with my request.
The Sennies sound good but don't fold flat and the Bose QC35 fold flat but lack the separation I love in a good audiophile pair of cans.
I will check the others out, thanks.
I'd also love additional suggestions if anyone cares to chime in!

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 12
I don't travel much anymore, but I still have my old Bose headphones. They were a joy to use when I traveled once a year on long flights.

I have not traveled since I got heavy into this hobby around 2015. My "mobile" headphones now are Beyer T5's and Focal Elegia's. Much better sound than my old Bose, but I wonder if they could beat the isolation of the Bose? I hated the motors, A/C, constant din and crying babies. I wonder if what I consider good isolation could come close to ANC, with music playing?

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 12
I would take crying babies on a plane over sound bleed from a pair of Beats cranked to distortion.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 12
In my opinion closed headphones with only passive isolation just don't cut it on a plane. Any sound quality advantage over ANC headphones is worthless with that amount of noise.

So I'd recommend ANC. I'm personally happy with the B&O Beoplay Portal, but if you want a higher end option I'd go for the B&O H95.

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Diminishing returns hits pretty hard with "high end" closed backs IME.

Audio technica AP2000-ti lay flat. The earpads are also removable to make a bit thinner. I like them but hesitant to recommend (also have not heard LCD-X).
The WP900 are smaller, also lay flat, enjoyable but unbalanced signature for some music.

IIRC, ZMF headphones will lay flat and also have easy to remove pads? Maybe still a bit bulky. The DCA Aeon 2/Noir line fold up- Stealth might too? Haven't used these newer models myself.

Senn HD630vb fold up and lay flat- IMO decent (and these days resonably priced) other than some midrange wonk, not much stage.

Probably none of these would be suitable for in flight use (orig Aeon did isolate quite well, still wouldn't have used in-flight).

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 12
I have the original DCA Aeon closed back and I wouldn't call it a portable headphone (though it does sound great!)
The DCA and the Senn 630's fold up into a ball. I need something that flattens out essentially, so I don't have to carry a separate bag in addition to my laptop bag.
And honestly, ANC is not really an issue for me.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 12
I have the original DCA Aeon closed back and I wouldn't call it a portable headphone (though it does sound great!)
The DCA and the Senn 630's fold up into a ball. I need something that flattens out essentially, so I don't have to carry a separate bag in addition to my laptop bag.
And honestly, ANC is not really an issue for me.

the 630s can also just lay flat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back