Trashing Your Headphones
Dec 9, 2001 at 8:47 AM Post #16 of 36
Good idea ! Let's release all my frustration by trashing my babys in public.

Grado RS-1 :
Build quality is bad for the given price. They hurt my ears
after more than 2 hours of usage - Uncomfortable.
Fatiguing sound. Colored. The sound stage is too close.

Sennheiser HD600 :
Cheap cable.
Uninvolving. Dark sounding.

Stax Omega II :
Lots of mechanical noises. Does not sit well on your head.
Analytical sound. Closed sound stage. No punchy bass.

But I love them like they are

wink.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:55 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Does this have to be current headphones or can it be headphones we've had extensive experience with in the past?

Cause if headphones from the past are allowed, boy am I gonna trash the HD-600s...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Uh uh. You have to trash the R10. It could be therapeutic.

Dec 9, 2001 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 36
Ok, I'll play!

SR60 = Small soundstage, lack of hi-fi details. Colored

SR225 = Looks too much like the SR60. Colored.

MS2 = Soundtage is smaller than other high end headphones.

HP-2 = ...

501 = need too much power, no lower bass, peaky highs.

HD600 = crappy stock cord.

CD17000 = ears get hot sometimes.

MX500 = doesn't sound as hi-fi as the full size headphones.

Dec 9, 2001 at 6:11 PM Post #19 of 36
HD580 - Bit dark, vocals are too far away sometimes, uninvolving at low volumes, cable could be much better.

V6 - Sounds like a recording aka not natural, soundstage needs some depth.

Etys - Stupid microphonic cable, no outer-ear bass.

KSC-35s - Warm & fuzzy

HD200 - Too bright, very thin mid-range but punchy mid-bass = weird coloration

TD65 - Jumbled-up mess in the mid-range, no highs, flat/narrow soundstage, muddy bass

Dec 9, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 36
Grado SR-325 - Like my ears have been attack by a chainsaw weilding manic. Mids and highs slice through my ear drums with gay abandon, leaving me a twitching, drooling figure in my chair. Then along comes the 'Grado Bass' to knock me from my throne and smash me into the floor.

Grado SR-125 - Similar to above, except the chainsaw (highs & mids) has been replaced with one of those huge circular logging saws, and the bass doesn't knock me from my chair.

Sennhieser HD-545 - If you could somehow listen to paint drying, it would be more interesting than these cans (even beige paint). The paint would have more bass.

Sennheiser HD-500 - Like wearing a duffle coat and sitting in a sauna, located in the middle of the Mojave Desert at midday. 'Warm' does not do them justice.

Sennheiser M-X 4's - Remove the drivers from these phones and trap a small, winged insect inside. Wire them up, close them up and stick them in your ears. Your 'new' earbuds now sound better than Sennheiser's design.

This was more fun than I thought it would be, although I am slightly drunk
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT

I forgot the in-flight 'phones I had the misfortune of using once. They truly defy description
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 9:33 PM Post #21 of 36
mx500:
lacks extension, definition and speed.
not as clear as some higher end heapdhones.

hd565:
very little impact (blessing most of the time, doesn't work too well with Rage Against The Machine tho. will improve with an amp)
could have more bass extension and heft (will improve somewhat with an amp)
vocals not the way Grado does it

Dec 9, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 36
Good job, people. Keep it up!

Quote:

HP-2 = ...

Let me help you out, KR. Anyway, I forgot to comment on them in my original post. These headphones have a dirty, screechy high-end, a lack of low bass, and an excessively forward sound. Plus, they're uncomfortable.

Dec 9, 2001 at 10:48 PM Post #24 of 36
biggrin.gif
Well I'm exaggerating of course... as I did in my first post. Actually I think I have a pretty good source. It's a modified Pioneer DV-333. Some have compared it favorably to $2500 CD players.

Dec 9, 2001 at 11:32 PM Post #26 of 36
V6- analytical and fake

Sportapros- what treble?

HD580s- slow, lacks some snap

Koss Pro 4/AAs- most uncomfortable headphone ever. Bad sound as well.

oooh, I'm so sorry... please forgive me...

Dec 10, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 36
AKG K240DF: Thin and analytical

Grado SR-60: Boomy with no low bass and harsh; crapty build

Grado SR-80: Bright and hollow; what the ****** does "build quality" mean?

Sony MDR-V6: Undetailed and fatiguing

Sennheiser HD 590: Distant; crappy, plasticky build quality

Sony MDR-V700DJ and MDR-V900: D-OH!!!
eek.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 1:21 AM Post #28 of 36
Sennheiser HD-200 - No isolation. Way too much bass. Oh, and the sound is rather muffled. They were still a huge step up from my nasty Sony earbuds! Oh, how much you wanna bet that I'm the only person on this forum that has the HD-200's? Heck, probably no one here has even heard of them! (They haven't been released in the states yet. I had to get them from Germany.)

Michael

Dec 10, 2001 at 6:46 AM Post #29 of 36
Grado SR-80s: Not as wide as a sound stage as I'd like, especially when compared to the SR-325s and HD-600s. On some tracks, the bass is actually WAY too wicked for my liking. A fan can be running in the next room, and I can hear it -- would like more isolation, but realize that this is an open phone.

Etymotic ER4S: As dhwilken said -- no outer-ear bass, which I get a ton of with my Grados. Maintenance -- to think I have to replace that little green filter every so often? Isolation -- of course, good for obvious reasons, but man, I can't hear anything or anyone, which is: a) dangerous in certain situations b) annoying because when I'm work, I can't hear people talking or hear the phones ring.

Dec 10, 2001 at 2:57 PM Post #30 of 36
OK...

SR40: Horribly coloured plastic moulded noise

SR60: Honky forward plastic colored boom screech

SR80: Sibilant City

SR225: Dippy mid, soft margarine lowermid colored

SR325: bulbous warm coloured

HD600: So polite and antiseptic, you could introduce 'em to your mother and let surgeons wipe their scalpels on them.

K501: Too open, not muddy or colored enough, where the hell's the bass boom? Cheap plastic loose crappy, too comfortable build

Yamaha HP-1: Mud, creamy peanut butter highs, strong mudpie lows

AMPS:

X-Cans: Bring your fog lamps, you'll need 'em. Why does bass roll off around 100hz and treble at 9kHz?

RA-1: Too small, gets 2 miles to the (battery) gallon past 30 MPH (10:00 volume). Way too light in weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back