trapped inside this Octavarium
Nov 18, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 29
I went with the first option. Maybe James is just running out of things to sing about? Who knows, he could be watching more MTV these days...

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 29
This thread will get better answers in the Music forum, me thinks?
wink.gif

-Ed

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 29
It's like as he's getting older he's getting less mature and trapped into his own line of thinking... like the stories in the songs he sings, lol.

he needs to take some time off, go to college to learn how to *really* sing, and in the meantime DT should get a new singer that can take them where they really are wanting to go.

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 29
Love the album, and the title track is my favorite DT song. That said, I really do not really pay attention to lyrics on albums, weird huh?

Edit: unless the lyrics stand out as being very odd.

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Love the album, and the title track is my favorite DT song. That said, I really do not really pay attention to lyrics on albums, weird huh?

Edit: unless the lyrics stand out as being very odd.

I know, instrumentally they have all grown so much, so LaBrie is just weak now in comparison. He's holding them back now. Before, as in Awake, his voice was the essence and impetus of unpredictable progression, but now he is simply the background chorus. look at all the "rapping" on ToT and now the lame poppy vocal style on Octavarium.

Don't get me wrong, i LOVE Train of Thought. I'm sure LaBrie busted his you-know-whats doing the best possible job he could.

But, I still feel he's not "there" like he used to be, and it shows.

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 29
I'm a big DT fan as well.
Although I am positive I love the newer albums,
I find myself going back to the earlier stuff more often...
The earlier albums sound more "straightforward" somehow.

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 29
Stopped caring for DT one way or another after "Awake." It was "Scenes from a memory" that really turned me off, and "Six degrees..." just put the nail in the coffin.

DT was fresh and inspired in the days of "Images" and "Awake." The latter is simply their purest artistic statement, and a seriously influential work at that. Yes, they aped Watchtower, but who didn't?

I think it all came down to Kevin Moore leaving the band. He was the melodic engine that drove their songwriting prowess. Without his concise, surreal melodic power, and the inspiration he brought to the table, DT was left without a core songwriter, and didn't really seem to get their stride back except for some select tracks here and there. Rudess is by far the worst thing that has happened to DT IMO - the man has technique, to be sure, but he has no melodic sensibilities whatsoever. And his so called classical compositions? *twitch* He should leave classical composition to classical composers that know what they're doing. The only band that has pulled off a good classical influence in progressive metal is Symphony-X, and only on one album (V). There have been a few good attempts (most notably Winds), and a lot of neoclassical shredder guitarists have put out very good classically influenced material (Michael Angelo on "No Boundaries," Borislav Mitic. Just not Malmsteen! Hate Malmsteen!!
mad.gif
).

As to LaBrie - the man had a very good voice, but age took that away. He's a technically proficient singer, but a) tone-deaf, since he can't keep pitch to save his life (I have perfect pitch and this is especially irksome) and b) has a naturally bad vocal tembre, which may be overcome in some cases (i.e. Mike Baker of Shadow Gallery) by limiting the technicality and vocal range, but LaBrie doesn't seem to get that. Too bad, since around the Awake era, he was really something.

Kinda funny, since I loved the Liquid Tension Experiment disks. I would have thought that Rudess would have brought some of the same inspiration over to DT, but it hasn't happened. Maybe it was Tony Levin that got them all so fired up, who knows? The jam "30 minute warning" is probably my favorite DT-related piece thus far. Kinda reminds me of the Lane/Hellborg/Sipe collaborations, but with a crazed keyboard psychotic thrown in. Lots of fun!

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 29
Aren't Mike Portnoy (specially) and John Petrucci the lyrics composers?

About LaBrie's voice, it's normal that his voice has been changing, and I agree that in Octavarium it just falls behind the instruments, but I really liked his vocals on train of thoughts.
Of course their older albuns have other dynamics, even on the instruments, but I don't think their recent stuff is that behind in terms of quality.

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3me

About LaBrie's voice, it's normal that his voice has been changing, and I agree that in Octavarium it just falls behind the instruments, but I really liked his vocals on train of thoughts.

To me LaBrie seems more like a hired gun than a full fledged member of the band, since he sits in Canada while the rest of them write the albums. Awake is one of my favorites too, but there are some passages where he was really straining. These days he seems to be taking it a little easier. It might not be as ambitious, but at least its not cringe-inducing.

I've never agreed with those who thought LaBrie was "awful." But I've never thought he was great either.

Now Angra's Eduardo Falaschi, he's Great.

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3me

Of course their older albuns have other dynamics, even on the instruments, but I don't think their recent stuff is that behind in terms of quality.

Pretty sure Petrucci writes most of the lyrics with James... I recall some comments John made in some behind the scenes video footage, he had to work with a "gramar consultant" for some things.

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 29
Which albums ARE NOT like TOT?
I really dislike TOT.
So many Metallica/Pantera rip-offs in that album, that ive lost count.I know that will anger many of you hardcore fans, but its true, and im more than willing to discuss further.
Its also got a real late 80's metal/cheese feel to it.
Which albums are more prog?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back