Transitioning to Jazz from Smooth Jazz.
Oct 10, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 17
Responding to myself... another very approachable (and remarkable) Miles Davis album is Sketches of Spain. Like a lot of Miles albums there are several variants of this. I got the two CD set cheap at a local shop. This is a rather unusual orchestral production with some really fantastic woodwinds- oboes and Miles, who would have thought! - all wrapped up in great arrangement courtesy of noted jazz big band leader/arranger Gil Evans, and as expected some very appealing playing by Miles Davis. Some of this has a dreamlike quality. I noted one strident section but most of it is really wonderful.

Hmm i actually have sketches of spain and enjoy the album...although its borderline not jazz but definately an interesting listen. The nice part is i have a decent turntable and find some older jazz records often.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #17 of 17
Hmm i actually have sketches of spain and enjoy the album...although its borderline not jazz but definately an interesting listen. The nice part is i have a decent turntable and find some older jazz records often.

It is definitely jazz. So if you like it you don't have to transition after all :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back