Transformers movie thread
Jul 7, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #121 of 136
On a side note, i think the Movie toys are pretty well made. I owned a Deluxe class Barricade and have played with a Ironhide. Both hav e clever touches that even include details like the internal furnishing of the car. The movie's starscream toy is pretty ugly tho

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #122 of 136
I thought it was a great movie. It was one of the adaptation movies I've seen that was actually pretty true to the original, unlike Spider Man 3. I think most people who hated it need to realise that it wasn't supposed to be some super developed story with a bunch of mushy character moments, but a movie for people to see giant robots destroy each other.

Jul 7, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #123 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, i think the Movie toys are pretty well made. I owned a Deluxe class Barricade and have played with a Ironhide. Both hav e clever touches that even include details like the internal furnishing of the car. The movie's starscream toy is pretty ugly tho

Yeah, the Decepticons are so overly complicated in design, it's pretty difficult to design the toy without it having a thousand moving parts. Hat's off to the boys at Takara for pulling it off. I held quite a few hand carved styrene prototypes before, and their work is phenominal (despite the design sucking or not.)

It's almost as if the Transformers in this movie were designed to be impossible to make a good toy out of. LOL.

-Ed

Jul 7, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #124 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rumor is it may be some sort of HP Lovecraft story. who knows?

Yeah, that trailer played when I watched Transformers. IMDB is guessing Godzilla remake? I'm hoping it's Gamera.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #126 of 136
The robot scenes were brilliant, and the acting for a action movie, for the first two minutes was GREAT (it was fast paced acting, like a Aaron Sorkin tv show) but it lasted about 20 minutes, then it got bland and just like any Michael Bay movie

Overall, I thought it was good for about 40 total minutes, the rest was filler but thats me being more into high developed and well written movies.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #127 of 136
Saw the movie yesterday with my wife and 11 year old son. Liam is totally into tranformers and Pokemon cards and all that stuff. He was on the edge of his seat the whole time, giddily munching popcorn and sipping the bladder-busting 108 oz root beer we shared. He knew each character and would make various comments about their history or previous battles. He absolutely LOVED it. So, I'd say the movie was pretty darn good as far as he was concerned.

Me? Well the special effects were awesome; pretty darned amazing how seamless and believable CGI animation is getting these days. And the jokes were ... appropriate and reasonably well crafted for a 15 year old; moderately entertaining for an adult. But the story line was simply non-existant for someone who doesn't have an interest or background in the Transformers history. I actually fell asleep a few times. I mean, there's just so much killer special effects you can take before you "get it" and are ready for a bit of story. So, no, I wouldn't reccomend it to a friend unless they were all over Tranformers---in which case they'd have allready seen it.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #128 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw the movie yesterday with my wife and 11 year old son. Liam is totally into tranformers and Pokemon cards and all that stuff. He was on the edge of his seat the whole time, giddily munching popcorn and sipping the bladder-busting 108 oz root beer we shared. He knew each character and would make various comments about their history or previous battles. He absolutely LOVED it. So, I'd say the movie was pretty darn good as far as he was concerned.

Me? Well the special effects were awesome; pretty darned amazing how seamless and believable CGI animation is getting these days. And the jokes were ... appropriate and reasonably well crafted for a 15 year old; moderately entertaining for an adult. But the story line was simply non-existant for someone who doesn't have an interest or background in the Transformers history. I actually fell asleep a few times. I mean, there's just so much killer special effects you can take before you "get it" and are ready for a bit of story. So, no, I wouldn't reccomend it to a friend unless they were all over Tranformers---in which case they'd have allready seen it.

Story line? Wait, I didn't know there was supposed to be a story line to movies like this!
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #129 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Story line? Wait, I didn't know there was supposed to be a story line to movies like this!
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Yep, some of the better action movies have some plot and dialog....Die Hard, and Bay's only good movie that I have seen: The Rock, come to mind. Well this afternoon, I'm going to go see an action movie. Because of this thread, I did consider Transformers......but metacritic is giving Die Hard a higher rating, so I think I'm going to go with my first choice.

For me, it's the Micheal Bay "can't make a decent movie if his life depended on it" type reservations that I have about it. All the reviews do indicate that the only thing the movie has is robot special effects. So Transformer and action fans might like that (assuming they like the redesign of the robots)...just to see them on the big screen.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0705/p...mo.html?page=1

But who am I kidding? I'm going to see and support Transformers eventually....more then likely DVD
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #130 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Well there is a story line if you're a fan and know about the history and all that. I had the same responce to "Lord of the Rings": too many references to characters and bits of history that I wasn't familiar enough with to take in. As a result I was lost in layers of dialog that I couldn't care about. OTOH, I do appreciate that Tolkien's work had a heck of a lot more story than Transformers did.

I wouldn't have paid the price of admition on Transformers except it was a great chance to take Liam out on a date. But I would have rented it; and I do think this is a pretty good example of a resonably well made movie of this type. And the special effects made me feel like I got more than I was expecting; the visuals were amazing.

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #131 of 136
Quote:

Well there is a story line if you're a fan and know about the history and all that. I had the same responce to "Lord of the Rings": too many references to characters and bits of history that I wasn't familiar enough with to take in. As a result I was lost in layers of dialog that I couldn't care about. OTOH, I do appreciate that Tolkien's work had a heck of a lot more story than Transformers did.

I wouldn't have paid the price of admition on Transformers except it was a great chance to take Liam out on a date. But I would have rented it; and I do think this is a pretty good example of a resonably well made movie of this type. And the special effects made me feel like I got more than I was expecting; the visuals were amazing.

I honestly had no idea there was any sort of story line or history to this. I'm totally ignorant of the whole transformer thing. Our kids somehow missed all of that stuff. I think even our youngest was just barely too old to get in on it when it came around.

The special effects on the other hand, well, Tyll, the next time you're in the PDX area, look me up and we'll catch a flick at the local Cinetopia. They've got all Cristie Super HD DLP projectors and top of the line Klipsch sound systems, extra big leather seating with extra leg room, yada, yada. Makes going to the movies worth while! The Picture quality is nothing short of stupendous, as is the sound.

Cheers!

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #132 of 136
Quote:

Only a certain amount of special effects before you "get it". Must be an old timer, I couldnt get enough, i actually wanted more special effects, it was awesome.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #133 of 136
Sorry guys...I'm a big fan and grew up with transformers, but I thought this movie was a stinker. Dialog and character development was bad. I thought the cinematography was cool for the first 15 minutes but then it became frustrating with all of the close ups, low camera angles, and debris obscuring every scene. They never got to the power conflicts between megatron and starscream. The robots looked like baskets of shrapnel.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #134 of 136
I know storylines and "action" movies dont go together, but for all the storylines that the original Transformers show had, you could atleast make it more to that, then to that of an episode of Veronica Mars or Dawsons Creek.

I know you gotta go off on tangents sometimes, but make those tangents part of the Transformers, not about playing video games in your Grandma's house with your fat friend, or giving Jon Voight more airtime then "Prime" himself.

The more I think of the movie, the more it just seems like M.Bay took his Pearl Harbour script, and inserted robots instead of Kamakze and US fighter pilots. Everything else was pretty identical. Hell, even Jon Voight had the same air time in both movies =)

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #135 of 136
Saw the movie last week.

Not much to add...it had some excellent special effects.

Unfortunately, that's all it had. Juvenile dialog and story at the beginning that only got embarrasingly worse as the movie wore on. It really was made for a 15 year old boy.

A movie that only has good special effects isn't a great or even good movie to me. It is worth seeing for the special effects though (assuming that's your bag), just from the spectacle factor.

Saw Harry Potter tonight...it's nearly the anti-Transformers. It does have some good special effects, but most of this darker movie has a deep and involved plot with some interesting character development. I enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back