Transformer secondary wire, not long enough?
Dec 3, 2009 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

johnwmclean

Aka: capone, bignurse.
Sorry in advance, I know we need another transformer thread like a hole in the head, I’ve searched and cannot find the answer to my query.
I need to extend the secondary wires of a toroidal transformer by around 3 inches or so. I’m assuming this will be just a matter of soldering/insulating an extended piece of wire. I’m not 100% sure though...

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 5
You can solder another piece of wire to the leads and put heatshrink over the joint.

It might be overkill, but I never use an unsupported solder joint. I'd run the leads to a terminal strip or terminal points mounted to the chassis and then solder the second wire to that. It's a little more work, but I think it gives you a little extra margin of safety.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can solder another piece of wire to the leads and put heatshrink over the joint.

It might be overkill, but I never use an unsupported solder joint. I'd run the leads to a terminal strip or terminal points mounted to the chassis and then solder the second wire to that. It's a little more work, but I think it gives you a little extra margin of safety.

Thanks so much Erik, I never thought of a terminal strip - I have two transformers which need to be extended this will work out nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers
John

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 5
You could also use a crimp ferrule to splice an additional 3-4" of wire on each secondary and heat-shrink over those joints. A tight crimp will be far less brittle than a solder joint. You could also look into Posi-Lock connectors, but that's getting pricier.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 5
I find crimp connectors less reliable. If you twist the wires and aren't going to flex the joint, soldering them and covering with heatshrink tubing should be fine. Keep in mind this is assuming other proper design (regardless of how you connect them), chassis is grounded if metal and the supply has a fuse on the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back