Transform your Journey - Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless headphones deliver long-haul performance and a smart travel experience
Jul 27, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #76 of 228
  Cnet's full review is finally up 

found here http://www.cnet.com/products/sennheiser-pxc-550-wireless/

4stars compared to the 4 n half for the QC35s 

Its NC is below the QC35s whilst the sound fidelity is less than the momentum 2 wireless according to David Carnoy of Cnet. 

One of the main reasons for the author not to recommend the Sennheiser PXC 550 over the Bose QC35 seems to be price. However, it needs to be said that over here in Europe, the price difference is quite a bit lower than in North America, MSRP of 399 Euros (PXC 550) vs. 379 Euros (QC35). So over here at least, it's just 20 Euros vs. $50 in America. Considering the better build quality of the PXC 550, the additional features (ANC can be disabled, touch control, cable remote), that's a price well worth paying IMHO.

As far as the sound quality is concerned, I actually believe the PXC 550 to be quite similar to the Momentum Wireless, while being more comfortable to wear (at least with my big ears) and having the ability to turn off ANC. I did a (pseudo) AB test at a local electronics dealer yesterday, and the general characteristics are similar, the PXC 550 being a bit warmer with slightly less prominent treble. The Momentum Wireless actually costs the same over here these days and I had considered buying it (nice looking cans, very well built), but comfort and features speak for the PXC 550. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #77 of 228

One of the main reasons for the author not to recommend the Sennheiser PXC 550 over the Bose QC35 seems to be price. However, it needs to be said that over here in Europe, the price difference is quite a bit lower than in North America, MSRP of 399 Euros (PXC 550) vs. 379 Euros (QC35). So over here at least, it's just 20 Euros vs. $50 in America. Considering the better build quality of the PXC 550, the additional features (ANC can be disabled, touch control, cable remote), that's a price well worth paying IMHO.

As far as the sound quality is concerned, I actually believe the PXC 550 to be quite similar to the Momentum Wireless, while being more comfortable to wear (at least with my big ears) and having the ability to turn off ANC. I did a (pseudo) AB test at a local electronics dealer yesterday, and the general characteristics are similar, the PXC 550 being a bit warmer with slightly less prominent treble. The Momentum Wireless actually costs the same over here these days and I had considered buying it (nice looking cans, very well built), but comfort and features speak for the PXC 550. ​

You wouldn't happen to be Rosmadi are you? lol

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #79 of 228
Actually on second read David for CNET probably has a fair review .. The 550s are between the wireless and the q35 in terms of total package .. Better NC then the wireless and better tonality than the q35s - put in another way. There seems to be an inverse relationship between NC and sound quality..

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #81 of 228
I would also like to know the answer to this question. Perhaps firmware could enable AptX HD if it does not require new hardware. But that will probably cost Sennheiser as they will have to pay QUALCOMM.

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #83 of 228
I will also not buy it unless you can get firmware updates for atleast compatibility with new mobile, pc and other device operating system updates. As i use Apple this could risk compatibility with iOS10, new macOS, Apple TV OS. I ALREADY asked this question and those below but no answer so far........

Please may I ask:

(Q1) Is it possible to set the EQ in Captune, but then close the Captune App and use another media player on a phone /device to play music with the EQ settings applied. The reason I ask is that I and many others might not use Captune App to play music, but would like to like the EQ setting flexibility? My portable headphone Amp (Creative E5 Soundblaster) does this and conveniently the EQ settings are saved on the headphone Amp.

(Q2) Can Sennheiser do a Firmware upgrade via the Captune App?
I know that Bose do this on the QC35 via a Bose App. If not then i might wait for 6 months before buying it whilst Sennheiser apply firmware fixing to these headphones.
With so much technology built into these headphones there has to be a way to do firmware upgrades for compatibility issues alone, plus a way to add new features or feature enhancements.

(Q3). Depends on the answer to Q2 above. Is it possible in the future that a firmware upgrade can enable (AptX HD) support?
Or perhaps this requires new hardware which then negates this question.

(Q4). Depends on the answer to Q2 above. Is it possible in the future that a firmware upgrade can enable (AAC) support which is better for iPhones/iPads.
Or perhaps this requires new hardware which then negates this question.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #84 of 228
To answer your first question: there is a "Director" sound mode that isn't enabled by default and has to be configured in the Captune app. You can create a EQ profile to your liking and save it. Once you've done that, the "Director" sound mode, your own EQ settings, will be saved in the headphone and can be used with any media player you want.

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #85 of 228
That CNET review says the PXC 550 sound better than the QC 35 but gives the senns an 8 and the bases a 9 lol. Sounds kinda silly. Also they both have the same 9 for features when the sennheisers by far have more features?

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #86 of 228
I just ordered from Amazon UK, should have it by next week.
Prepare for some unbiased no holds barred critical review lol.

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #87 of 228
To answer your first question: there is a "Director" sound mode that isn't enabled by default and has to be configured in the Captune app. You can create a EQ profile to your liking and save it. Once you've done that, the "Director" sound mode, your own EQ settings, will be saved in the headphone and can be used with any media player you want.

I have to correct that statement of mine. I've just played around with this feature in CapTune (iOS) and apparently, it's not possible to save the custom EQ profile in 'Director' sound mode. You can only change (and save) four different effects, namely 'boost' (-> bass boost, three different settings / intensities and off), 'spatial' (three settings / off), 'reverb' (three settings / off) and 'dlc' (limiter I think, either on or off). Once you chose these settings to your liking, they are saved in the headphone ("Director" sound mode) and can be used with any media player you want.

So, at least for now, full manual EQ is only possible within the CapTune app. However, you can use a different media player with EQ capabilities, of course.

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #88 of 228
  @Rosmadi Mahmood

While I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase, could you be so kind and answer this question of mine, I think that it might interest others as well. Is the firmware of the PXC 550 upgradeable, similar to what Bose offers with the QC35?

One bit of information I've found out myself on this matter: In the CapTune app, there is an 'About' Button at the bottom of the headphone settings. When you click on it, a new page opens where both the serial number of the headphone and firmware version are displayed, plus another option to reset the headphone to default settings.

The firmware version of my PXC 550 is 1.0.38. Knowing that the CapTune App is actually able to 'communicate' with the headphones wirelessly, changing and saving various settings permanently on the phone, there is hope that it should be able to do a firmware upgrade, too, if necessary.

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #89 of 228

@Rosmadi Mahmood

While I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase, could you be so kind and answer this question of mine, I think that it might interest others as well. Is the firmware of the PXC 550 upgradeable, similar to what Bose offers with the QC35?

One bit of information I've found out myself on this matter: In the CapTune app, there is an 'About' Button at the bottom of the headphone settings. When you click on it, a new page opens where both the serial number of the headphone and firmware version are displayed, plus another option to reset the headphone to default settings.

The firmware version of my PXC 550 is 1.0.38. Knowing that the CapTune App is actually able to 'communicate' with the headphones wirelessly, changing and saving various settings permanently on the phone, there is hope that it should be able to do a firmware upgrade, too, if necessary.

Thank you for checking and informing. I will call Sennheiser UK Technical team on Monday and ask this question, will then post the reply. They are very helpful and am sure the Technical Service staff can answer these basic questions. What is disappointing is Cnet and other Tech reviewers did not pick up on these important points. They should recruit some one from HeadFi forum.

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #90 of 228
Answer from Sennheiser US:
At this time there are no firmware updates for this unit, nor am I aware of any plans to do so. The PXC 550 can be fine tuned through the CapTune App (available through Google and Apple app stores), and if firmware updates were released, they would be distributed through the Sennheiser Updater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back