Transform your Journey - Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless headphones deliver long-haul performance and a smart travel experience
Oct 28, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #166 of 228
OK had a chance to use these on the train this morning and as far as ANC goes I would say these are slightly behind the MDR100ABN but very serviceable in this regard.

Interestingly they seem more comfortable as I use them. I suspect some of this is me just getting accustomed to a snugger fit but I also suspect the pads are breaking in just a bit as well. I have been wearing them a couple hours with no discomfort.

Sonically these are impressing the heck out of me! They seem to have good bass, it is a bit politer than the MDR100ABN but only by a smidge and certainly not enough that I find myself missing bass. But what they lack in impact they make up for in texture with great nuance and detail. The midrange then just carries on in that vein and grows stronger followed by detailed vivacious treble that never falls into the shrill or sibilant trap.

Sonically speaking I would say these slay the Bose QC30 and are definitely more detailed than the MDR100ABN and arguably better even for people who prefer the Sony house sound of late. They are brighter but again not in a way that is ever offensive or harsh.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #167 of 228
I've had my PXC 550's for 11 weeks -- and have been on 20 flights since then, depending on these to help make the journey reasonable. These have replaced my PSB M4U-2's as travel headphones, as the noise canceling is better, they pack more compactly, they're wireless, battery life is tremendous -- and it seems that I don't feel that I've made a sacrifice in audio quality to switch. I haven't had a chance to compare to the new Sony's.

Re: comfort - I typically get through airport security an hour before having to board my flight. If the flight is delayed (more often than not!) I may be wandering the airport anywhere from 2 to 8 hours (8.5 was actually the worst delay this summer, aside from canceled flights). I used to just wear headphones while on the plane, but I've taken to popping on the Sennheiser's once I'm in the gate area and simply waiting. What's significant is that I may wind up wearing the headphones for hours before boarding, and then have them on for another hour or two in flight. Lately, I've taken to keeping them on as I deboard and wait to pick up my luggage. Last night, arriving at Newark airport on a two-hour delayed flight, I still had the PXC 550's on while waiting to pick up my luggage, kept them on while heading upstairs (level 3, terminal A) to meet a limo -- and used them to call home while waiting for the car. I must have worn them for the better part of five hours straight, and found them to be perfectly comfortable.

Re: ANC - when I compared the PXC 550's to the QC30's in the middle of the Charlotte Douglas airport in North Carolina, I really couldn't discern a difference in noise canceling. Both were quite good. This wasn't an extensive test, but it was convincing. I also like the fact that with ANC turned on, I don't get the sensation that my ears are somehow in a vacuum.

I really enjoy the sound. I did play around initially with the FX sound profiles. Club was somewhat appealing, but in the end turned out to be too artificially bass heavy for me, and it seemed to compromise the upper mids and high end. After a lot of experimentation, I've settled on NOT using any of the modified profiles -- just the default "flat" setting. I use the headphones quite a bit: on two flights a week, and several times in between. I've checked, and they don't seem to have broken down or weakened in any way with something between 70 and 100 hours of use to date. Cushions are still like new, the headband, hinges, springs, all feel like new. Deceptively lightweight, but seemingly quite sturdy. Comfortable enough to wear for several hours. Very good ANC and a delightful listening experience.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #172 of 228
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #176 of 228
Just tried the Sony and the Senn headphones. I think the Senns are better sounding headphones than the Sony. I the ANC may be a bit better on the Sony but I prioritize sound before anc. I also thought the comfort was better on the Senns, the Sony was a bit hard compared. The Senns will be my next purchase for Christmas present for me!

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #177 of 228
Thought I would throw up my review link :)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-pxc-550-wireless-bluetooth-headphone/reviews/17291

Like the last poster I kinda like these...
gs1000.gif

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #179 of 228
Hi Guys,

I just noticed a high pitch bip during pause/play and desactivate/activate talkthrough. (using the touch pad only not the phone)
This high pitch bip (can't describe it) is less than one sec and feel like it comes from the electronic part just when the music starts again.

Thanks for your help

Edit : just noticed on a demo unit

best

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #180 of 228
Had a hilarious dream last night that I was auditioning the Orpheus successor, but that the headphones were incredibly lightweight and connected via bluetooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back