Transfer on USB 1.1
Aug 26, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #32 of 36
Strange, because I'm sure the PC laptop I was using has only the original version of Windows, no Service Packs installed, and the USB2.0 card I got for it worked fine. Try finding some manufacturer drivers for USB2.0 ports and see if you can get it to work at High speed.

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #33 of 36
Check out WindowsUpdate to make sure you have the USB 2.0 driver. If you have a 2.0 card in your system, it should pick it right up. Or you can get drivers from your card's manufacturer.

That being said, no, transferring large files over 1.1 absolutely sucks. That 1.5MB/s is an optimistic figure. You can drop it down to 1MB/s after you take off usual bottlenecks such as OS overheard and other devices slowing it down. Even a 128KBPS MP3 runs around 4MB. So an entire album would take you abuot a minute. If you have decent bitrates (--aps), the average file runs around 7MB or so. An album could take you 1.5-2 minutes. With a HD-based device capable of holding a whole CD collection, this is unacceptable.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Aug 28, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #34 of 36
I think you're forgetting that flash player transfer speeds come nowhere near the maximum potential of USB 2.0... for instance, irivers newest players state a transfer speed of 14.4mbps = 1.8 MB/s, and that's probably best case scenario - so in actual use, the difference is not that great.

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #35 of 36
Get the network version of SP1a or splitstream a new cd.

edit: my new flashplayer supports usb2 (which I don't have.) I need a new card with firewire and USB2. Cheep as possible. Here they're like $50. Does anybody know if I could get a cheep one from ebay or something like that.

Aug 28, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #36 of 36
Well, I checked Newegg, and unfortunately, they don't ship internationally. Nor does ZipZoomFly, last I checked.

But as for eBay, yeah, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. In my experience, cards based on VIA chipsets are rock steady. I've had no problems, and both my USB 2.0 and Firewire cards use those. I think a combo card can be had for ~$20 or so new, so eBay, maybe $15, plus shipping. Best of luck to ye.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back