TRANCE/HOUSE fans only!!
May 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

midoo1990

Headphoneus Supremus
hi guys, i listen to loads of trance,house and electronica. i am considering purchasing shure SE530. do you think it will be a good choice or not?i have all my msic at 256 and 320kbps and i download them free from the internet(limewire)so i wont purchase any lossy songs. i have zune120 so i wanna know if it will be a good match.the most important thing for me is that the instruments should be seperated and the vocals well detailed and the bass is punchy and fast attacking(not overpowering). any help will be greatly appreciated. oh and please dont suggest any other IEM as this one is the only one available localy.thx

May 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 23
I listen to alot of trance to. Mostly ATB. I have the Zune 120gb and the Shure SE530's and they pair wondefully. Deep, powerful and tight bass. Amazingly precise midrange. Also the treble is a bit low on volume but the detail is all there.

May 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 23
I love house, and yes, I really really like the SE530's for it. I do have the triflange cut down to biflange and sitting on the barb of the tube (which makes the SE530 sound perfect to me) and hooked it up to a Corda Move.

First off, the speed is key. The SE530 does this perfect.
Second is the clarity, also preformed amazingly.
Third is the bass. Punch and speed are both super awesome. Not overdone, not anemic, just right.
Fourth are the highs. Due to the tip-mod the highs are sparkly enough for me, absolutely non fatiguing and very clear. Normally they are a bit more recessed.
Fifth are the mids. To die for. Seriously.

To sum it up, I'm happier than a pig in mud. Then again, I haven't tried other high-end IEM's so I have no idea how they handle house/trance.

May 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 23
thanks man for your reply, i am now really considering them and i think ill go with them.by the way what gear do you use them with and do they need amp.?

May 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 23
I think most dynamic IEMs are good candidates for house/trance. I love my IE8s with all electronic, and the NE-7 really isn't far behind with house/trance IMO. But you really can't go wrong with any top tier IEM if it fits your preferred sound sig and goes well with your equipment! Oh, and you work at getting the best fit!

May 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 23
They don't need an amp, but they certainly improve with one
biggrin.gif

I'm using this setup:

P1000863.jpg

iPod Nano 3G 4GB > DIY LOD using Jena/DNM Reson > Meier Corda Move > Shure SE530

May 25, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 23
Having owned both se530 and ie8's i much prefer the latter for house/electronic music. Mainly due to the huge soundstage and bass the ie8's can deliver. Whilst the 530 has great clarity/mids i found they lacked the sparkle and the thumping bass i'm used to when listening to my cans, which is why i ultimately ended up returning them.

May 26, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 23
I would like to throw another candidate into the ring and suggest the Future Sonics Atrio M5/M8s (both models are exactly the same barring their colour). They are dynamic drivers, they don't require any amplification, and they excel in just about every area that you could want; huge bass impact (without it being overbearing), excellent mids and clear treble. Awesome soundstage too.

May 26, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 23
if you're into uplifting trance, epic trance and also fast trance I like the er-4p for that. Speedy and energetic. You could probably run the thing from a fart as well.

May 26, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 23
To me, trance has treble and the se530 and W3 both have treble quantity issues that I have read about. You may be able to improve the treble response with tips/fit or EQ, but the IE8 has great treble extension with the tip configuration I use. Just a thought.

Also, the IE8 has a bass knob to increase the bass if you so desire (mine is set to minimum, which is an awesome amount of bass).

May 26, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 23
thx guys for your responses,but the problem is i am leaning towards the shure because i have an authorised retailer here in my country.but i also have senhiesser retailer here,but i am afraid of the fit of IE8 because of their awkward design(i cant try them though cause there is no display unit)and because from what i heard they are bassy which i dont like, i like the bass to be punchy,fast and some what natural for this type of music.

May 26, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 23
Oh, the IE8 can DEFINITELY give you that type of bass, if you are willing to try and mod
tips, plus patiently burn them at a HIGH volume.

May 26, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 23
i too listen to trance (not only but for the last 9 years, about 90% of my music is trance) and i love the se530, but it does not have the sense of speed (treble focus) that i really want.

i love the sense of space, speed as well as a good bass. the se530 is a great phone but i think too laid back for trance, too focused on vocal music. for this reason, the audio technica ck10 which can be had for less than se530 is my favourite. it is more comfortable, manufactured to much higher quality standards than most earbuds with a strong and noiseless cable.

for sound, it is speedy, has heaps of space and great bass. i did a detailed review somewhere but cannot seem to find it. it was completed about october or november in 2008 and posted here at headfi.

while i much prefer customs (sleek) in terms of stage and overall signature, the ck10 have bested: turbine, phonak, se530, um2, er4s, q-jay, sleek sa6, atrio m5, ne7m. there are others but i cannot remember all the phones i have owned (i am a junkie). they may be hard to find if you are not in japan though.

but, there are few choices that are not good for trance: atrio m5 (not bad, but hardly ideal), um2 (worse than m5) and denon c700; all of these have had problems with bass. either echo problems or timing issues (too slow).

good luck in your search.

May 26, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 23
You seem to be looking for a yes/no more than alternatives. But I listen to lots of trance (primarily vocal trance), and the Klipsch Image X10 is excellent. It has deep tight bass, good high end extension (with the right tips), and good soundstage including a sense of "room" and height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back