Trance/EDM lovers: advice needed!
May 18, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #17 of 34
Denon, Denon, Denon, Denon... I have not personally heard the SA5000's, but I hear nothing but good things about them...but Denon's...seriously, holey christ, they are made for EDM!

May 23, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #18 of 34
I listen to pretty much the exact same selection as the OP. ASOT, TATW, GDJB, etc. I got myself the AD900s and no, they don't work well with this genre. The bass is way too light and the light beats in tracks that go tap tap tap (Treble area) between the boom boom boom got a bit too glaring for me. Put it this way, I enjoyed the CX300s way more. You know how a nice low end to certain tunes put you in that dancing mood? I never got it for my favourite tracks with the AD900.

I was considering giving the HFI-780 a shot but decided against it after reading about issues like the pleather pads being a pain along with an uncomfortable headband. I've decided to get the Sennheiser IE8s as they may give me what I'm looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

Meanwhile I'm happy with my Altec Lansing MX5021s and the iBasso D10
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #19 of 34
Sway: Thanks for the opinions on Denon.. they just jumped a few places in my list. (they were pretty near the top already, maybe they'll be my next purchase). There's so many options where Denons are concerned though. Do I go D2000/5000/7000 or Lawton Audio modded? Which will be best for Trance/EDM within a reasonable price range? Charles_1985 has recommended the D2000s, so I'm leaning towards them slightly.

Menzo: I was already very dubious about the AD900's, now they've been crossed off my list. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh and you can get replacement pads for the HFI-780 you know, pads from other headphones work too, I'm not sure which ones but if you search around you'll find them. It might be worth it because the HFI-780's are supposed to be very good.

Acix: I've only ever listened to the Ultrasone Proline 2500's (for a LONG time) and I wouldn't say they had too much bass, in fact they probably had the right amount, maybe a little less than what I would have liked. People say the PRO 900s have too much bass but I'm thinking they might be just perfect for me. I wonder if someone can compare the PRO 900's to the DT990's, which I currently have and am enjoying.

Thanks guys, I hope this thread helps fellow tranceheads like myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #20 of 34
here is my two cents... i listen to mainly trance, although i love other types of music as well... i am listening to tiesto now and i love armin (asto 406 is great)... i have teh benchmark dac1hdr as my dac / headphone amp and i bought the akg 702 as well as the sennheiser hd 650's... i sent the akg's back, although they did have a very open and wide sound stage.. i just found that the akg's were too light on the base and that is critical for trance... i even wish that the sennheiser hd 650's had more base in fact... if the akg's had real base i think i would have preferred them, but they really lacked base and mine were burnt in for more than 100 hours

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runkby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is my two cents... i listen to mainly trance, although i love other types of music as well... i am listening to tiesto now and i love armin (asto 406 is great)... i have teh benchmark dac1hdr as my dac / headphone amp and i bought the akg 702 as well as the sennheiser hd 650's... i sent the akg's back, although they did have a very open and wide sound stage.. i just found that the akg's were too light on the base and that is critical for trance... i even wish that the sennheiser hd 650's had more base in fact... if the akg's had real base i think i would have preferred them, but they really lacked base and mine were burnt in for more than 100 hours

Yep, the Ultrasone Pro 900 will be perfect for you...
smile.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for busting up this thread but i really want to know how would you compare D5000 and DT990 for trance related music ?? Or anyway you want.
I always wonder how D5000 would do for those genre. They could be in the race for my next pairs !!
bigsmile_face.gif

D5000 are possibly my fav for trance.

amazing but tamed bass..unlike D2000.

soundstage is also good.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #23 of 34
Thanks guys, my next headphone purchase will be either the PRO 900s or Denon D5000s... I may lean slightly towards the PRO 900s as they're a little bit cheaper here.

Runkby: I wouldn't recommend any of those headphones for trance, the AKGs I hear are quite neutral and analytical (you heard that for yourself I guess) and the HD650s are too warm and laid-back. People here seem to spend a lot of money trying to "wake" the HD650s up but I don't see the point when there are far better alternatives out there, at least for EDM anyway. Are you happy with your HD650's?

There seems to be a lot of opinion here stating that they're very bassy but I think those people are using a different definition to me. The bass is there but it just doesn't seem to have enough attack for my liking, I guess certain people like to have bass there just to make up the full range of frequencies, for me it needs to be more than that, it has to be a sound all of its own.

Thanks again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #24 of 34
My post is for those like me who are tired of hearing only basshead headphones recommend for Trance. There are so many talented Trance artists who are making music with an emphasis on mids/treble and not just bass right now.

Not everyone is the same. I personally love the HD650s by many times over by Denons. And I've owned Denon headphones for a long time when the AHD550 were still in production.

I also prefer the AD900s to Denon for Trance, cause while the low end of the bass is not that great, there is enough impact to still be fun. But the mids/treble and vocals on AD900 are unmatched by Denon.

So just in case if someone else has similar preferences in music, Denon/Ultrasone are not the be all end all for Trance music. There is far more to Trance than just boomy beats. In fact I try to keep the boomy bass out as much as possible.

Trance has become much more atmospheric and orchestral over the years and I found the Denon to be very lacking for this, while the AD900 just embraces that sound. So for those who are not bassheads, don't write off these headphones that excel in that atmospheric, airy, soundstage and ethereal female voices. DT880/AD900 and AKGs would all be fantastic for Trance. The better the Trance Producer is, the more interesting music you hear that are in the treble/mid range with nuances that you can't hear in the same detail as bass heavy music. So it also depends on which producers you like. Are you the fan of Paul Oakenfold or a Hybrid fan? If Oakenfold, Gabriel and Dresden, then yes, I think AD900 are not the best, but if it's Hybrid, no questions for me.

I also believe these headphones are safer for your ears. You can hear the details with AD900 at normal and low volumes and with the D2000 I had to crank it up to hear, as the bass was overshadowing the rest of the music. With the bass that loud, well, my ears would fatigue and hurt. Just wasn't healthy for my ears either.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #26 of 34
Any of the Sonys ! For sub-$100 the MDR-V900 is da bomb ... (and I presume the XB series are too ) For more than that the SA-5000 is "wolf-*****" as i've heard certain audiophiles describe really hot **** sounding gear and I agree ...
I listen to *mostly* electronica and was not happy with Senn.650's lack of involvement or punch much less detail for this kind of music .....
You will not be disappointed ....

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My post is for those like me who are tired of hearing only basshead headphones recommend for Trance. There are so many talented Trance artists who are making music with an emphasis on mids/treble and not just bass right now.

Not everyone is the same. I personally love the HD650s by many times over by Denons. And I've owned Denon headphones for a long time when the AHD550 were still in production.

I also prefer the AD900s to Denon for Trance, cause while the low end of the bass is not that great, there is enough impact to still be fun. But the mids/treble and vocals on AD900 are unmatched by Denon.

So just in case if someone else has similar preferences in music, Denon/Ultrasone are not the be all end all for Trance music. There is far more to Trance than just boomy beats. In fact I try to keep the boomy bass out as much as possible.

Trance has become much more atmospheric and orchestral over the years and I found the Denon to be very lacking for this, while the AD900 just embraces that sound. So for those who are not bassheads, don't write off these headphones that excel in that atmospheric, airy, soundstage and ethereal female voices. DT880/AD900 and AKGs would all be fantastic for Trance. The better the Trance Producer is, the more interesting music you hear that are in the treble/mid range with nuances that you can't hear in the same detail as bass heavy music. So it also depends on which producers you like. Are you the fan of Paul Oakenfold or a Hybrid fan? If Oakenfold, Gabriel and Dresden, then yes, I think AD900 are not the best, but if it's Hybrid, no questions for me.

I also believe these headphones are safer for your ears. You can hear the details with AD900 at normal and low volumes and with the D2000 I had to crank it up to hear, as the bass was overshadowing the rest of the music. With the bass that loud, well, my ears would fatigue and hurt. Just wasn't healthy for my ears either.

^^ TRUTH ^^

There is a reason that names like DT880 and SA5000 come up often in threads about trance/edm.

My personal listening style has me using Sennheisers very often though.. Late night in the dark - relaxing to the symphony of Deadmau5 or whatever it be that I don't want just "ump sss ump sss"
darthsmile.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 34
aHHHH Deadmau5 is good stuff ...he's such a good remixer ... check out his remixes, well, i'm sure you have ....
For that matter, John Acquaviva, his fellow Canadian, is one of my favorite producers/remixers/DJ's and then there's Olivier Giacomotto !!! (sounds great in my SA-5000's ... hee hee ..)
And I do understand why you'd be into the 650 for extended listening ... the fatigue is certainly less, overall than many 'phones ... I can't say that I won't buy another pair sometime soon ... this time I will put a good after-market cable on it ...

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #29 of 34
well my vote goes for getting D2000 and adding the lawnton wood cups and getting a recable (doesnt have to be a jena cable, but just get rid of the pretty crappy D2000 cable. this results in a far superior headphone to D5000 IMO. second I would recommend sony SA5000 with a copper recable to add a little more bass and warmth. both these are excellent performers with electronic music. I listen to Justice, Daft Punk, Richie Hawton, Hybrid, Trentmoller, Goldfrappe, the Crystal Method, Digitalism, Royksopp, Massive Attack....
you get the idea, I do listen to some more trancey stuff too, but i've kinda moved on from the likes of infected mushroom, Hallucinogen, Juno Reactor etc. as I found it to have becoe a little stagnent and seemed to be sounding the same year after year with not much in the way of inovation going on IMO. the Denons are great performers and I love them a LOT!!, but the SA5000 provide just a touch more speed, not as good in the bass (thus the copper cable to try and help a little) but for strictly trance I think I would recommend the sonys first. but only with a recable as they can be just a touch light on bass quantity stock.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #30 of 34
Not a big fan of deadmau5...

I saw people posting about "orchestral" and forcusing and mids and highs. This is true with some DJs/producers under different aliases. I'm a full time Trance listener ( Afterhours.FM is the channel ) and I can confidently say that if you like the emotion/massive breakdowns/maybe a little Orchestra here and there..

I would look at the following artists and tracks

-First and Andre
-Mark Eteson ft. Zirenz - The Hymn (Original Mix)
-Ace Da Brain
-Ace's Delight
-Envio (mainly Blizzard Remixes)
-Invisible Sounds
-Sied Van Riel & Geert Huinink - Sunrise (Original Mix)
-Mike Foyle (Notably Pandora (Blizzard Remix), Firefly, Bittersweet Nightshade)

If you want REALLY REALLY relaxing , laid back trance (the kind you could probably sleep to)
-Ferry Tale --> The master of that description IMO

As for the headphones, can't really help there..kinda new, all I have are Denon DN-HP1000s (DJ headphones, certainly not Head-Fi material..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back