Trafomatic Head 2
Sep 12, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #211 of 307
are these tubes can replace stock without issue? it's written in manual...

Screenshot 2022-09-12 at 20.43.21.png

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #212 of 307
I share your findings.
I love the forward presentations of the guitars and the increasing detail that comes with the hg tubes
How are the Reflektor 6N30P-DR’s? I have my eyes on a set. The Russian 6N6P’s I just rolled in sound fantastic as power tubes.

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #213 of 307
Sep 12, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #214 of 307
The head 2 is on the short list for my shopping list... based upon Sandu's review I really think this is a good value point (used) especially with a preamp capability. I have would to see what changes this adds to my chain on both active monitors and my SS headphone chain. Unfortunately when the 2 units came up for sale earlier this year I didn't know much about them.

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #215 of 307
I got the Trafomatic Head 2 a few of weeks ago, but I wanted to spend some time with it before I chimed in with thoughts on unit. I listened to the Head 2 for a week or so in stock form to get familiar with its sound. In stock form, Head 2 has all the elements of good amplification. The sound is powerful, weighted with the speed and clarity I would normally associate with solid state amps. Every headphone I plugged into the Head 2 the sound was consistently marvelous. The Head 2 let every headphone express its own personality to the fullest. I don't feel like anything is missing form a sonic standpoint.

Enter the upgraded tubes. I swapped out the stock tubes and replaced the ECC88 with a set of 6N23P Reflektor (Holy Grail) 1975 SWGP Silver Shields. Then replaced the stock 6N30P's with a set of Russian Gold Grid 6N6P's. What was added to the power, weight, clarity and speed was finesse, delicacy, texture, even more musicality. The bass hits hard and fast with better control, definition and grip. The midrange is nuanced and expressive. The soundstage that was already expansive is more holographic with better depth and width. The new tubes allows the sound to just "breathe".

Needless to say I love this amp in my setup. It should be on everyone's short list to demo. I'm not sure there is a better amp at it's price point and I've tried quite a few.

IMG_2127.jpg

Didn't you own both the Pathos Inpol Ear as well as the Soloist 3GT? Do you think the Head 2 outperforms both of those options (I know a bit apples and oranges)? Have you tried the Head 2 as a Pre and if so what were your thoughts?

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #216 of 307
The head 2 is on the short list for my shopping list... based upon Sandu's review I really think this is a good value point (used) especially with a preamp capability. I have would to see what changes this adds to my chain on both active monitors and my SS headphone chain. Unfortunately when the 2 units came up for sale earlier this year I didn't know much about them.
You won’t be disappointed. The Head 2 kicks like a mule with tons of musicality to match its driving capabilities.

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #217 of 307
Didn't you own both the Pathos Inpol Ear as well as the Soloist 3GT? Do you think the Head 2 outperforms both of those options (I know a bit apples and oranges)? Have you tried the Head 2 as a Pre and if so what were your thoughts?
I still have the Soloist 3X GT. It’s my solid state amp of choice. I did have plans at one point to get a Pathos Inpol Ear. I went a different direction once I sold my Susvara’s.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #218 of 307
How are the Reflektor 6N30P-DR’s? I have my eyes on a set. The Russian 6N6P’s I just rolled in sound fantastic as power tubes.
very good low end. the overall volume has shot up notably across all frequencies.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #219 of 307
are these tubes can replace stock without issue? it's written in manual...

Screenshot 2022-09-12 at 20.43.21.png
correct tubes of those families can be swapped in without issue. It's very easy

Sep 12, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #220 of 307
According to sound news the head 2 beats them and the hyspos stack

Sep 12, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #221 of 307
According to sound news the head 2 beats them and the hyspos stack
Having the GT in my possession, I can agree. The presence of tubes gives the Head 2 something special that solid state amps just can't replicate or produce. Even though the Head 2 only has 2 watts is sounds more powerful due to its high gain factor. Rarely can I go pass 10 o'clock on the dial. You can defeat this and get more useable volume out of the Head 2 by lowering the input voltage on your DAC if it allows it. My Dave has a preamp mode and I can control it that way.

Sep 12, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #222 of 307
Trafomatic Head 2 incoming to feed my need for a solid state/tube flavor in a hybrid design. The impressions you guys are leaving makes me think I made a good decision. I currently have ZMF Atrium and Meze Empyrean cans and a Chord Hugo 2 as my DAC for starters but I'll surely leave impressions once received and after burn-in.

Oct 14, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #223 of 307
Hey there!
If anyone needs a pair of NOS Mullard ECC88 for the Head 2, let me know! Those are absolutely fantastic, a true step up compared to the JJ Stock tubes.
Cheers,
Anthony

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #224 of 307
Hey there!
If anyone needs a pair of NOS Mullard ECC88 for the Head 2, let me know! Those are absolutely fantastic, a true step up compared to the JJ Stock tubes.
Cheers,
Anthony
Nice! I have a Head 2 shipping next week and I’ve ordered those Mullard tubes as well! How would you compare the sound of the Mullards to the stock tubes?

Oct 15, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #225 of 307
Nice! I have a Head 2 shipping next week and I’ve ordered those Mullard tubes as well! How would you compare the sound of the Mullards to the stock tubes?
Honestly, pretty day and night. Maybe I exaggerate, but still. The Mullard mids are fantastic, the overall sound is more open, better separation, more detailed and keeps the magical Mullard smoothness. Now don't get me wrong, with the stock tubes, the Head 2 is already an incredible amp, but with the Mullard, it's the best headphone amp I got to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back