Trafomatic Head 2
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #197 of 277
It is probably the best headphone amp I ever owned. I kicked myself for selling it. The only amp I heard that came close was the Wells Audio Dragon Level 2.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #199 of 277
I’m sure you could get another one if you wanted.
If I was still doing the headphone thing I would….but I am now Completely 2 channel.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #200 of 277
If I was still doing the headphone thing I would….but I am now Completely 2 channel.
Why would you eve sell this amp, shame! I'm sure glad I found a seller.

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #201 of 277
Avatar update? Strayngs II sitting in a small director’s chair facing the camera but in the ‘sweet spot’ of the two-channel system 😀?

Aug 3, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #202 of 277
Avatar update? Strayngs II sitting in a small director’s chair facing the camera but in the ‘sweet spot’ of the two-channel system 😀?
Love that idea.

Aug 3, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #203 of 277
Aug 3, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #204 of 277
I only mused that if Strayngs is sans h/p, II should be also…😀
Right now it is a chore to keep my $1000 speaker cables out of his little mouth! LOL… He loves hanging out with me down there but I have to watch him closely!

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #205 of 277
such a perfect-sounding amp i should say.. just some thought in my head - what can be better in tube amp? does anyone compared to primavera?
my experience with tube amps started from diy and continue with cayin ha6a, Auris nirvana mk2. Nothing from them to compare with head2 in SQ

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #206 of 277
Yes, Trafomatic (trafomatic means 'transformers' in Serbian.) rolls their own iron and has been making some of the most challenging amps
in the industry for 20 years. The Head 2 is wonderful, but the Primavera is an entirely different beast designed around the premise of driving the most
difficult reference cans on the market, while also maintaining the quiet needed to drive the most sensitive cans on the market. The massive voltage you have coming
off of the 811.10 tube is going to give you a sense of ease throughout all music and can choices, that other amps, however well made, are incapable or providing. More presence, more space, more capability, more effortless dynamic swings, etc. Playin the Head 2 next to the Primavera on something like the Abyss headphones, tells the tale of their difference plainly...though honestly, you'd hear it on any headphones.

Sep 11, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #207 of 277
I compared Head2 vs Audio-GD D28 for an entire weekend on metal and rock music. For Head2 the line out DAC from D28 was used via RCA. Headphones were LCD-X.
While Head 2 is the better amp, it is only marginal in some details and the way it represent different aspects. I will quantify the moments where it was better as 20% or so. Sometimes its soundstage was narrower. All information in the music was audible on D28 as well.
I wanted to buy it, but it was hard to justify x3 the price. It also lacks the DAC, which D28 has. Size and weight is also a factor.

Head 2 sounded better in the shop though. I assume the different DAC contributed.

Still looking for something that I can hear sounding distinctly better than D28 to be worth the investment.

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #208 of 277
I compared Head2 vs Audio-GD D28 for an entire weekend on metal and rock music. For Head2 the line out DAC from D28 was used via RCA. Headphones were LCD-X.
While Head 2 is the better amp, it is only marginal in some details and the way it represent different aspects. I will quantify the moments where it was better as 20% or so. Sometimes its soundstage was narrower. All information in the music was audible on D28 as well.
I wanted to buy it, but it was hard to justify x3 the price. It also lacks the DAC, which D28 has. Size and weight is also a factor.

Head 2 sounded better in the shop though. I assume the different DAC contributed.

Still looking for something that I can hear sounding distinctly better than D28 to be worth the investment.
I have head2 and HE9 mk2. Trafomatic sounds better in few aspects...

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #209 of 277
I got the Trafomatic Head 2 a few of weeks ago, but I wanted to spend some time with it before I chimed in with thoughts on unit. I listened to the Head 2 for a week or so in stock form to get familiar with its sound. In stock form, Head 2 has all the elements of good amplification. The sound is powerful, weighted with the speed and clarity I would normally associate with solid state amps. Every headphone I plugged into the Head 2 the sound was consistently marvelous. The Head 2 let every headphone express its own personality to the fullest. I don't feel like anything is missing form a sonic standpoint.

Enter the upgraded tubes. I swapped out the stock tubes and replaced the ECC88 with a set of 6N23P Reflektor (Holy Grail) 1975 SWGP Silver Shields. Then replaced the stock 6N30P's with a set of Russian Gold Grid 6N6P's. What was added to the power, weight, clarity and speed was finesse, delicacy, texture, even more musicality. The bass hits hard and fast with better control, definition and grip. The midrange is nuanced and expressive. The soundstage that was already expansive is more holographic with better depth and width. The new tubes allows the sound to just "breathe".

Needless to say I love this amp in my setup. It should be on everyone's short list to demo. I'm not sure there is a better amp at it's price point and I've tried quite a few.

IMG_2127.jpg

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #210 of 277
I got the Trafomatic Head 2 a few of weeks ago, but I wanted to spend some time with it before I chimed in with thoughts on unit. I listened to the Head 2 for a week or so in stock form to get familiar with its sound. In stock form, Head 2 has all the elements of good amplification. The sound is powerful, weighted with the speed and clarity I would normally associate with solid state amps. Every headphone I plugged into the Head 2 the sound was consistently marvelous. The Head 2 let every headphone express its own personality to the fullest. I don't feel like anything is missing form a sonic standpoint.

Enter the upgraded tubes. I swapped out the stock tubes and replaced the ECC88 with a set of 6N23P Reflektor (Holy Grail) 1975 SWGP Silver Shields. Then replaced the stock 6N30P's with a set of Russian Gold Grid 6N6P's. What was added to the power, weight, clarity and speed was finesse, delicacy, texture, even more musicality. The bass hits hard and fast with better control, definition and grip. The midrange is nuanced and expressive. The soundstage that was already expansive is more holographic with better depth and width. The new tubes allows the sound to just "breathe".

Needless to say I love this amp in my setup. It should be on everyone's short list to demo. I'm not sure there is a better amp at it's price point and I've tried quite a few.

IMG_2127.jpg
I share your findings.
I love the forward presentations of the guitars and the increasing detail that comes with the hg tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back