Trafomatic Experience Head One
Oct 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #121 of 199
As for preamp I  tried it with my speakers. It´s coloured but that was a positive for me. I do love what it does for my speakers since they can be harsh and I am in an all but perfect room. In many ways that is where the Head One shines the most for my setup.

The only thing that worries me being a cheap person is that I am running down the tubes so not running it as often as I would want to :)

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #122 of 199
The Trafomatic is a good amp for the cheapskate because replacement tubes are VERY cheap!

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #123 of 199
That was a big selling point plus the limited tube rolling possibilities.  

I got this as rectifier http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html the WCA4 one. What is Imax rating btw? Do give slightly more detail but don´t change much else.
Where do you shop for tubes that sell matched pairs?

Quote:
The Trafomatic is a good amp for the cheapskate because replacement tubes are VERY cheap!

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #124 of 199
I bought some of the vintage Russian power tubes on ebay.  I just bought the ones from the seller with the best feedback.  I don't have any test settings for that tube so I just had to try them out, but they sound great.  Better than the EH tubes that came with the amp.  I'm using a Mullard EZ80 rectifier which also sounds very good, but the GE was much cheaper and sounds pretty much the same.

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #125 of 199
Hi every one,

I need for some precious advices... My head one sound too much round IMO, I would like something more transparent. I've got originals tubes, do you think I can obtain the "improvement" I search by changing them? Wich ones? Some names please !!! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #126 of 199

Quote:
Hi every one,

I need for some precious advices... My head one sound too much round IMO, I would like something more transparent. I've got originals tubes, do you think I can obtain the "improvement" I search by changing them? Wich ones? Some names please !!! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

I'm sorry, but the only alternatives for the driver tubes are insanely expensive NOS Siemens....

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #127 of 199
Well, my Head One came with Electro-Harmonix 6S45P output tubes, and I thought that vintage Russian 6S45P tubes, which you can buy for a few dollars, did sound better.  But I didn't think that they radically changed the sound.

That said, I don't think of the Head One as being a tubey sounding amp.  Pretty neutral IMO.  

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #131 of 199
I just picked up a used Trafomatic today from one of our fellow Head-fiers.  So far, I am very, very impressed.  My first step into tube amps was a Woo 3.  I got that about 1.5 years ago.  I thought, at the time, that it was an amazing amp.  It still is.  However, this Trafomatic bests the Woo sonically in every way.  And by quite a lot, actually.

Here's a pic of next to my Asgard and my HD600s.  The Asgard will see considerably less use these days...

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #132 of 199
I've had my Trafomatic Experience Head One for a few days now and have put some hours on it.  I bought it secondhand, complete with tubes, so I'm assuming it has already been fully burned in.  I'm posting my impressions here in a little mini-review.  It is driving my HD600s, which I find to be a match made in heaven.

To understand where I'm coming from, I'll give a little bit of a background about me.  I grew up with Walkman cassette players and Discman CD players.  I listened to most of my music that way, complete with the cheap $1 headphones they throw in the box for you to use.  I didn't know any different.  I didn't know any better.  I enjoyed music that way and was happy as can be.  Later on, I got into iPods, also with cheap headphones, and listened to lossy AAC files.  Once again, I didn't know any different and really enjoyed music that way.  Concepts of sound stage, decay, timbre, etc. were all foreign to me.  I was blissfully ignorant in music being compressed between my ears.

Then, about 2 years ago, I got my first "good" amp.  It was a Woo 3.  It drove my first "good" headphones, which were the DT880s.  This was an epiphany for me.  I never knew how much headphone music could come alive.  I had sounds all over my head, projected out into space.  I could hear 3-D positions of instruments and dynamic range came alive.  I entered into a whole new world.

You could consider my Woo 3 as a gateway drug.  Once I knew better sound was possible, it became game on.  I had a new understanding of music reproduction, but more importantly, the desire to maximize my listening experiences.

Well, now I have taken ownership of the Trafomatic.  This amp has bested everything I have heard so far.  I'm not trying to put down the Woo 3, because it really is a fine amp for the money, but it is my only real point of reference for comparing the Trafomatic.  I also realize that the Woo 3 costs about 3-4 times less than the Trafomatic, so it should perform less impressively.  But, once again, it is my only point of reference.

Compared to the Woo 3, the Trafomatic is better in every desirable category.  For starters, the sound stage is huge.  I had no idea a headphone sound stage could be this large.  It has layers upon layers of sound.  I feel surrounded by the music.  The imaging is sublime.  I can pinpoint the exact position of instruments and voices.  I don't have the vocabulary to describe it, but there is just an immense sound signature.  It is alive.  There is just so much sound and information surrounding my head.  It is very holographic and 3-D.  I have never experienced such an expansive image ever before.  There is tremendous separation.  However, it is not fatiguing.  I am not under sensory overload.  It all comes together in beautiful musicality.  Yet, there is tremendous air in this tapestry of sound.  Everything is sewn together in a wondrous atmosphere.

The sound is very neutral, but there is a hint of warmness.  It also has a touch of liquidness and midtone tube magic.  Warm and syrupy this amp is not.  This amp is clear, precise, but very musical.  It has a hint of sweetness to it.  This amp does not have flaws to my ears.  There is nothing fatiguing about it.  No strident tones.  Accurate, but musical.

The bass runs deep.  It is tight and accurate.  Not at all boomy.  When the song calls for bass, the amp puts it out.  This amp seems to have power to spare in spades.  It can dig deep when needed and never lose focus, clarity, or control.

There's not a whole lot more I can say about this amp that has not been said already.  My biggest impression is just how much sound this device puts out.  There is sound everywhere.  Layers upon layers upon layers in total control and precision.  Coming from my Walkman cassette player with $1 headphones, I never knew how much sound was possible.  I never imagined I would have this amount of sound around my head.

The Trafomatic is a true masterpiece.  It is without a doubt the best musical experience I have ever had.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #133 of 199
Very nice post! It's a great amp, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back