Trafomatic Experience Head One
Sep 2, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #91 of 199
Spent some time with the pre out by now.

It´s definiatly not transparent but it gives exactly my speakers the colouration it needs. They are of the neutral type which is great for movies, games but just a bit to booring for music.
The LCD-2 was much preferrable over my speakers when running over my RX-V663 directly. Now I am not that sure anymore.
My speaker system is very modest bang for buck system  I might add. Yamaha RX-V663 and some XTZ 89 5.1 system.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #93 of 199
Nice bump.  6moons seem to get a lot from that website I have noticed.

They should update that ad though. My Head One doesn´t have those feets and my music sound much better then on that youtube video :wink:

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #95 of 199

Quote:
I thought this was an interesting read about the tubes used in this amp:

http://home.comcast.net/~jafix/Mig_salley.html

Never knew we could just go out and by a soviet jet to restore,  gotta go by a lottery ticket.

Thanks a lot. Both a flight enthusiast and audiophile so a jackpot here.

Btw have you heard anything about an updated Head One 6moon hint at.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audeze/3.html "Trafomatic Audio's Head One (a MkII version plus White Series model with new transformers and completely omitted NFB are forthcoming).
"

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #96 of 199
I was able to buy one of the newer versions of this amp on Audiogon recently for a nice price. I've been on the lookout for transformer coupled tube amps lately since I have several lower-impedance headphones that dont do so well with OTL amps.

I was interested in this amp when it first came out, but was turned off by the lack of ability to roll the output tubes. While that still sort of bums me out, I decided to try this amp anyway.

I'm glad I did. It's really an outstanding sounding headphone amp. This version has ZERO hum, which is nice. It sounds very good with the LCD-2, which was my hope. I'm pretty impressed.

I've satiated my urge to tube roll by ordering some 70's era Reflektor plant 6S45P's. They will probably take a few weeks to get here though. I know the WE437 is not compatible with the 6S45P, but did anyone ever try the EC-8010 from Telefunken or Seimens? I'm not sure if that it fully compatible or not.

Given how good it sounds with the Sovteks, though, the Reflektor tubes may be all I need. I did also put in a Mullard rectifier tube, which for sure beats the pants off the supplied EH.

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #98 of 199

Quote:
I was able to buy one of the newer versions of this amp on Audiogon recently for a nice price. I've been on the lookout for transformer coupled tube amps lately since I have several lower-impedance headphones that dont do so well with OTL amps.

I was interested in this amp when it first came out, but was turned off by the lack of ability to roll the output tubes. While that still sort of bums me out, I decided to try this amp anyway.

I'm glad I did. It's really an outstanding sounding headphone amp. This version has ZERO hum, which is nice. It sounds very good with the LCD-2, which was my hope. I'm pretty impressed.

I've satiated my urge to tube roll by ordering some 70's era Reflektor plant 6S45P's. They will probably take a few weeks to get here though. I know the WE437 is not compatible with the 6S45P, but did anyone ever try the EC-8010 from Telefunken or Seimens? I'm not sure if that it fully compatible or not.

Given how good it sounds with the Sovteks, though, the Reflektor tubes may be all I need. I did also put in a Mullard rectifier tube, which for sure beats the pants off the supplied EH.

Good to hear you like this amp. I also think it is very good. It is also very allround, it gets top performance out of nearly everything you plug in.
I'm pretty sure the tubes you need are not EC8010 but EC8020. both the Telefunken and the Siemens are very rare and expensive (> $1000 for a matched pair).
This amp is the only tube amp that gets max performance out of my DX1000 by the way.

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #99 of 199
Ha - well even I am not crazy enough to pay $1K a pair for tubes. So the 70's Reflektor tubes and the rectifier will be enough rolling for this amp. Since it's transformer coupled, the output transformers play a big part in the sound, and it clearly must use some pretty decent output trannies.

I was a little on the fence about getting this, but it has exceeded my expectations. I'm happy about it - very satisfied in the end.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #100 of 199
I still haven't gotten around to getting this amp due to my local distributor falling off the face of the earth.  Kees has raved about this amp for quite awhile now and any amp that can stand the test of time in this fickle hobby must be good!  Skylab/Kees how do you feel it compares to the Woo amps?

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #101 of 199
I think the Trafomatic is maybe a little better than the regular WA6 which I own.  It's not quite as good as the WA2 for high-impedance headphones IMO, though, and the WA2 is cheaper.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #103 of 199
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.  Due to duties and shipping I think I believe the Trafomatic would be cheaper for me here in Canada if I can get a reply from the distributor. If not a used Woo or a possibly that new Shiit amp in the works sounds interesting.  Nothing looks as good as the Head One though.  Very pretty amp!

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #104 of 199

Quote:
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.  Due to duties and shipping I think I believe the Trafomatic would be cheaper for me here in Canada if I can get a reply from the distributor. If not a used Woo or a possibly that new Shiit amp in the works sounds interesting.  Nothing looks as good as the Head One though.  Very pretty amp!

Trafomatic doesn't have a distributor in Canada anymore, contact Sasa direct at

sasacokic@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back