Trade? or not? for college
Aug 16, 2012 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

enbayo

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD600s (with a HD650 cable), Schiit Lyr, O2 amp and various other small things like a upgraded power cord (which was a gift) and additional tubes. I will be attending college in the fall and I have always wanted a nicer pair of headphones. I have two pairs in mind, The LCD 2 rev2 and the Sennheiser HD800s. I have tested both of these headphones and really liked both of them. So my question for you, the fine people of Head-fi is which headphone would be better with about a 1000 budget (from selling the other equipment) would the HD800s be fine without a nice amp (or any at all since the 1000 will be spent on the actual headphones) or would the LCD 2 rev2 be better (since i will be able to get a small amp with it) Thank you for any help you can provide. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 16
For clarification I will be staying in a suite so theft will not be an issue, and I would like to have headphones so just selling my equipment and using that for college is not really a preffered option. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
So my question for you, the fine people of Head-fi is which headphone would be better with about a 1000 budget (from selling the other equipment) would the HD800s be fine without a nice amp (or any at all since the 1000 will be spent on the actual headphones) or would the LCD 2 rev2 be better (since i will be able to get a small amp with it) Thank you for any help you can provide. 

From researching, i'm pretty sure the HD-800's are really picky on their amplification and source, especially given their high impedance, but on the other hand, although for most headphones it is obviously better to have good amplification, the LCD-2's are pretty efficient when it comes to amplification :) 

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 16
The HD800 will pick apart any poor source. They're also pricier. I'd personally look at the LCD-2s,
you've already got the amplification get a nice DAC and you're all set.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 16
The 1000 budget that I stated in the initial post hinges on me selling all my current audio equipment. The most voiced opinion is to look into the LCD 2, if I were to get the LCD 2 I probably will have to sell the lyr. Would the LCD 2s sound alright being powered by my O2? or should i sell it and try to find an amp in the $200 range?

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
The 1000 budget that I stated in the initial post hinges on me selling all my current audio equipment. The most voiced opinion is to look into the LCD 2, if I were to get the LCD 2 I probably will have to sell the lyr. Would the LCD 2s sound alright being powered by my O2? or should i sell it and try to find an amp in the $200 range?

That's initially what I was referring to. Considering $1000 for both a headphone and amp let alone a DAC as well leaves you strapped.
I do not think there is a better amp in the $200 range than the O2. I'm not sure how much the Sunrise II kit is, but if you'd be willing
to some DIY your choices really open up.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 16
Keep the HD600 and buy beer for the money? Take a girl to the movies?

Seriously - you're going to college. Lots of expenses... at least wait until you've passed the first year I'd say.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 16
I am willing to build my own amp, is there any suggestions for a DIY amp for LCD 2s in the $200 range? (I am relatively new to the DIY scene so preferable nothing incredibly difficult)   

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I am willing to build my own amp, is there any suggestions for a DIY amp for LCD 2s in the $200 range? (I am relatively new to the DIY scene so preferable nothing incredibly difficult)   

http://store.garage1217.com/project-sunrise-hybrid-class-a--tube-headphone-amplifier.html

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 16
I don't really have money, I just have the HD600s and the schiit lyr (and some other random audio gear) that I would sell to afford the LCD 2s. I already have some money saved up for the expenses of college this is simply for audio purposes.  

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Thank you Paradoxper I will definitely check that out.

No problem. Also, http://www.head-fi.org/t/524885/ck2iii-in-a-very-unique-plexiglass-case#post_8620682

Users who are viewing this thread

Back