Tracks with insanely extended lows
Feb 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm talking sub 50Hz domination here.

My vote(s) goes to:

Trans Am - Cocaine Computer (from the album "Futureworld")
Sounds like the bass drum triggers a ~30Hz sine wave. It's extremely clean and pretty much compresses your skull to smithereens. I think this track probably has the lowest low end reproduction I've ever heard on an album.

Philip Glass - Low Evil (from "The Fog Of War" OST)
Especially evident in the decay of the strings. It's almost as if the lows fade up in the decay instead of the other way around.

Honourable mention:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Eye (from the "Lost Highway" OST)
One of the tracks I always turn to to test low end response. Deep & tight hits with great impact and fast decay. Makes it really easy to evaluate lows in terms of depth as well as punch & decay.

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Massive Attack - Angel

D'oh! How could I forget that one? And a good reminder to listen to that album right now.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 47
ELP - Lucky Man about the 3:30 mark and again 4:10 to the end.

I use this song as a reference to check low end extension and sustain. I believe it is a 30 hz tone.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 47
"Before I am dead" Kidneythieves

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 47
You should check out Goldfrapp's bottom end. Yummy. The music is good too!

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #13 of 47
Brian “Lustmord” Williams is a musician in the subgenre of dark ambient. He started recording with the industrial ensemble SPK in the early 1980s. He utilizes ultra-low frequencies (infrasound — frequencies below 20 Hz, which have been known to cause feelings of awe or fear). Lustmord has extracted field recordings made in crypts, caves, and slaughterhouses, and combined it with occasional ritualistic incantations and Tibetan horns. His treatments of acoustic phenomena encased in digitally expanded bass rumbles have a dark ambient quality. Some of Lustmord’s most notable collaborations include Robert Rich on the critically acclaimed “Stalker” and experimental sludge group The Melvins on “Pigs of the Roman Empire”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back