Tracks that just have to be heard in headphones?
Oct 23, 2005 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kameleon

500+ Head-Fier
I was just listening to Ringfinger by NIN and realised just how incredible the backing track on this sounds in headphones. What other tracks just have to be heard through headphones, and lose something with the distancing of speakers?

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 15
"Wait", a song by Sarah McLachlan in Fumbling Towards Extasis is particularly interesting to listen through headphones. There is a binaural-like effect very early into it, within the first 10 seconds, a kind of door-knocking as if coming from 10 feet away from the front left and up. This occurs also with any speakers with decent imaging though, but it is particularly interesting through headphones.

Many of Bjork's songs I find particularly suitable for headphone listening, in particular from Vespertine:
Crabcraft
Cocoon
Pagan Poetry

Oct 23, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 15
I think that Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys is some of the most fun you can have with a pair of heaphones. Lots of L/R play, layered samples, and BASS!
basshead.gif
They don't call it 'headphone rap' for nothin'.

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 15
NIN - A Warm Place.

That song absolutely demands a good set of warm, rich, detailed headphones. A little innebriation enhances things greatly as well (preferebly, the illegal kind.
wink.gif
)

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 15
Any Dream Theater song sounds great with headphones.
icon10.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 15
the entirety of Dredg's El Cielo is quite the experience through a good pair of cans.

anything from The Mercury Program.. though most notably from either A Data Learn the Language or All the Suits Began to Fall Off. the constant, subtle variations on deceptively repetitive lines are key.

Murcof's Martes is inexplicably AWESOME through headphones.

'Textures', from Cynic's Focus simply requires an excellent pair of headphones to properly appreciate the painstaking intricacies.

there is tons of music out there that loses "something" with the distancing of speakers..

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #10 of 15
Leonard Cohen

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 15
I'd have to say Autechre loses a lot of detail through speakers. The last track off their newest LP has an effect in which a sound actually occurs BEHIND you when listened to through headphones, while this effect is completely lost when played on speakers.

Oct 24, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno333
Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin....
k1000smile.gif

That's a tough one because it sounds pretty amazing on a good speaker rig as well. I know what you mean though, the left to right seperation is pretty cool on headphones. You'll efinitely want to turn your crossfeed off on this track!

Oct 24, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
I was just listening to Ringfinger by NIN and realised just how incredible the backing track on this sounds in headphones. What other tracks just have to be heard through headphones, and lose something with the distancing of speakers?

Great album. Personally Pretty Hate Machine is my favorite NIN disc. "Sin" on the same album is phenomenal through sa5000s...OH THE SPEED!

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #15 of 15
Diana Krall
Tuck & Patti
Dire Straits

The Police Live 1983
Clapton unplugged
Dreamtheater Live at Budokan

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back