Tracks of phenomenal audio quality?
Apr 7, 2017 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alexium

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings to all fellow music lovers!

I suppose many of you will understand the problem I'm facing. Well, it's not really a problem, but an unfortunate fact nonetheless: there are great many good recording in my collection, but very few truly astonishing ones. The ones that justify buying costly audio equipment.

I find myself in need of those recordings from time to time for evaluating various audio tech, and every time I'm struggling coming up with the pieces of music that really demonstrate why this or that piece of equipment is worth its price.

What are your favorite tracks that really have the level of details and dynamic range and whatnot to put your audio system (and, perhaps, your own hearing) to the test?
I'm only asking for the name of the track so that I could find it myself, but if you're willing to share the audio file itself - please do! Or, perhaps, you have your own audiophile / test / reference compilation?.. Share yours and I will share mine when I'm done searching for pearls in the pile of sand that is my lossless music library :)

P. S. Genre doesn't matter at all, obviously. Anything goes.

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Here are a few:

Stephan Baer’s Najongo and Bay of Bengal tracks

Bukuru Celestin & Snarky Puppy – Shima
Stan Getz Verve Jazz Masters 53: Stan Getz Bossa Nova -Samba Triste
Anat Cohen – Claroscuro Um X Zero

Artist: Katarzyna Mycka

Album: Marimba Classica (feat. Franz Bach)

Track: Libertango (feat. Franz Bach)

Artist: Global Trancemission

Album: Pier ‘o’ Heaven (The Assorted Divine Chillout Music)

Track: The Secret Path (Variation 2 Mins Ending)

Artist: Days of Funk

Album: Berlin – Monday Morning Hours, Vol. 2

Track: Water

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 7
There are worse places to look than the Grammy awards for Best Engineered Albums, Classical and Non-Classical.

EDIT:  As for personal picks, Steven Wilson can put some sounds together.  My favorites are Fear of a Blank Planet(Sleep Together is especially great to listen to on headphones), and Grace for Drowning.  Béla Fleck's Tales from the Acoustic Planet is also fantastic.

May 1, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Jun 25, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Try these:

This one is hard to categorize (maybe ethnic jazz)
Artist - Myriam Alter
Album - IF
Track - Waking Up

Rock Instrumental
Artist - Jeff Beck
Album - Emotion & Commotion
Track - Hammerhead

Modern Jazz
Artist - David Chesky
Album - Graffiti Jazz
Track - number 5

Rock Ballad
Artist. - Queensryche
Album - Empire
Track - Silent Lucidity

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I've been listening to Images by The Crusaders almost daily for the last months. Unbelievable recording and I love the music. I've been listening to The Crusaders since the early 1970s but didn't find this album until somewhat recently.

Another great production is Nelly Furtado's Whoa, Nelly!

I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more. But, a great test track is the opening cut on Art Blakey's Caravan. Gigantic drum solo of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back