Tracking Vocals and the Sennheiser HD 201
Dec 17, 2012 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SkinnyOldGuy

New Head-Fier
Major advance today.

I had been using Audio-Technica ATH-M20 for a monitor for recording vocals.  Why?  Decent price, covered the ears and didn't leak too much, no knucklehead bass, just a plain ham-and-eggs set of isolation cans.

But today I just got tired of that tangly coil cord and grabbed the Sennheiser HD 201s off my utility am radio Walkman.  And don't you know, I ended up singing better?  I mean, I think I bagged a song that I had struggled with for years.

The differences between the two could be described fairly adeptly.  The A-T was more of a consumer music set, all cushy-comfy-feeling and with just a scent of boost in the bass and sparkle in the highs.  The Sennheiser was absolutely, unquestionably, made for voice. The frequency balance had no boom or tinkle, just clean, flat, data grade voice. That made me really like it for the radio, and I'm embarrassed that it took me so long to put two and two together and realize that when I was tracking vocals I wanted to hear voice, too.

And oh by the way, the A-T set only gets used when I'm doing a vocal and it looks all beat to hell.  The Sennheiser leads a hard life almost daily and it looks almost like new.

So, boys and girls:  Recording voices ---> Sennheiser HD201

Sog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back