TOYOTA SOLARA 2.2
Nov 12, 2006 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone have a Toyota Solara 2.2 car? If so how do you like it? It is supposed to drive like a Lexus. I drove one yesterday and was very impresses by it and put down a deposit on it till next month.

I have a Mercury Sable LS 3.0 at present and am hoping the SOLARA is a better car.

I drive mostly in the city and am looking for better gas mileage and better ride.

I get 20 miles a gallon with the SABLE on the highway and the SOLARA is supposed to get 30 + on the highway.

Nov 12, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 12
Lexuses and Toyotas often share the same platforms within the same classes. The Lexus ES series is built on the Camry's platform, the RX is built (or in fact, almost identical) on the Harrier platform, and so on. The difference between the two is that the Lexus will be more luxurious inside. It'll have better sound insulation, better leather, more features, better sound system, etc.

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj
Lexuses and Toyotas often share the same platforms within the same classes. The Lexus ES series is built on the Camry's platform, the RX is built (or in fact, almost identical) on the Harrier platform, and so on. The difference between the two is that the Lexus will be more luxurious inside. It'll have better sound insulation, better leather, more features, better sound system, etc.

Toyota Harrier is marketed in Asia. Toyota harrier is Lexus RX330. Toyota highlander share the same platform for RX330/Harrier.

Nov 12, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 12
It's my understanding that the Solara is essentially a Camry coupe, so the question is how you like two doors as opposed to four doors. I personally like four doors as none of them are as heavy and long and it's easier to get into the back. Toyota makes an excellent product; SWMBO really likes her 2005 Avalon (which is bigger than a Camry but with the same gas mileage for the V6. Toyota has been kicking Ford's butt lately. Last question would be if you are happy with a 2.2L four cylinder engine in place of your 3.0 V6 in the Sable.

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 12
My buddies Dad has one. It is beautiful inside and out. Haven't ridden in it but he said it is a very smooth ride.

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 12
I have the first generation Solara and love it. I've never ridden in the newer versions, but if you like what you experienced, you should enjoy the car overall. I've always had great reliability with Toyotas, no surprises, and my Solara is fun to drive while having a very roomy back seat.

Old Pa is right, the Solara is just a 2 door version of the Camry (or at least that is how mine is). Same platform, same engine, just tweaked for a more stylish 2-door body.

enjoy!

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 12
The SOLARA I am buying is a first generation Solara 1999. It is tweaked over the Camry buy tweaking the steering for a more sport car feeling and the suspension is tweaked with more road feel like a sports car. It drives very quite and very smooth ride. I really liked the ride I got with it. Oh it is a silver very good looking car.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
Does anyone have a Toyota Solara 2.2 car? If so how do you like it? It is supposed to drive like a Lexus. I drove one yesterday and was very impresses by it and put down a deposit on it till next month.

I have a Mercury Sable LS 3.0 at present and am hoping the SOLARA is a better car.

I drive mostly in the city and am looking for better gas mileage and better ride.

I get 20 miles a gallon with the SABLE on the highway and the SOLARA is supposed to get 30 + on the highway.

My sister has a Solara and I have the 2007 ES350, they ride similar but not every alike. The lexus is much quieter and smoother, it's also more luxurious inside with the soft leather. But the solara is a very good buy for its price, it's also bigger than it looks; even though it a coupe, it takes a lot of room to park.

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 12
After driving and owning several Camrys, I'd say that the four-cylinder engines were a little underpowered. I haven't driven anything newer than a '96 though, and since the Solara is smaller than a regular Camry, it's probably fine.

My entire family owns Toyotas and would need a whole slew of reasons to switch to anything else. Reliability goes a long way.
lambda.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 12
My son just bought an 02 Solara SE. However it has a V6 so I guess I have no business posting in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back