Toxic Cables Silver Poison custom IEM cable - wanna borrow it?
Oct 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #91 of 197
Its probably gonna take like 5-6…years for the cable to even get to me 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Hi Project,

I noticed your first post has not been updated recently, just wanted to see if you were accepting new participants again. LFF's review of the Frogbeats Customs swayed me into ordering a pair, have shipped my impressions to the company. I have been told that Frogbeats are compatible with the Westone cables, so there's shouldn't be any problem there. :) WIth a 3-5 week lead time, I'm hoping the cable/custom IEMs will arrive around the same time. Also would not mind giving my 4.Ai a spin with these.

Thanks for your consideration. I'll apply again at some later time if my application is still a bit too early as of right now.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #93 of 197
^^^yes sir happy to wait for a great project like this, and thank you very much for the amp straps (I hope they haven't disintegrated with age when they do reach me 
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #94 of 197
Quote:
Hi Project,

I noticed your first post has not been updated recently, just wanted to see if you were accepting new participants again. LFF's review of the Frogbeats Customs swayed me into ordering a pair, have shipped my impressions to the company. I have been told that Frogbeats are compatible with the Westone cables, so there's shouldn't be any problem there. :) WIth a 3-5 week lead time, I'm hoping the cable/custom IEMs will arrive around the same time. Also would not mind giving my 4.Ai a spin with these.

Thanks for your consideration. I'll apply again at some later time if my application is still a bit too early as of right now.

Sure, I'll add you to the list.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #97 of 197
Got the cable in today, now its time to get my listening on! so far i love the build. the round braid for the cable is a ton nicer than the flat braid ive had with precious aftermarket cables.

i was also curious what the cost was for the cable i got?

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #98 of 197
Quote:
Got the cable in today, now its time to get my listening on! so far i love the build. the round braid for the cable is a ton nicer than the flat braid ive had with precious aftermarket cable

i was also curious what the cost was for the cable i got?

That was indeed quick, i only sent it yesterday from the UK, although it was via FedEx.

The Silver Poison sells for £155 + £5 UK shipping and £12 international.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #103 of 197
So now that I've had the cable for about a week i figured that it was high time i write out some impressions and passed it on to the next individual on the list.

Ive been using the Silver Poison exclusively for the last week to give myself the best chance possible to acclimate myself to its sound. I'm not convinced that switching back and forth as quickly as possible is the best way to hear differences in cables, or any higher end equipment for that matter. Not to mention that swapping cables on IEMs isn't the fastest procedure in existence. So tonight after spending several hours listening for the last time, I switched back to the stock cable from JH Audio. And I will say that i think that i heard an ever so slight difference, the JH cable i think sounds just a tad more open, but the Silver Poison sounds just a tad bit fuller. And when I say tad bit, i mean like I'm not entirely sure i could pass a DBT to prove that, it's just the gut impression I got when i switched. And that was exactly what I was looking for my using it exclusively for as long as i did.

Now that i have the sound portion out of the way, we can move onto the more important part of the impressions. The cable just feels much more like something that would belong on a set of 1100 dollar IEMs. The cable is much thicker than the stock one, but its not unmanageable in any way shape or form. It's very flexible. Some things I noticed at first about the cable. It doesn't have a splitter, only a nice wooden choker. I found this strange at first, since all of the other cables I have ever used with my JH-13s have had splitters. But after a while i cane to appreciate not having a big wooden or plastic splitter in the way or weighing the cable down. The clear shrink wrap that is used instead is tastefully done and doesn't stand out further than it should. The other thing i really like is that it doesn't have any sort of memory wire or anything where the cable enters the ear piece. I thought that it allowed the cable to lay over my ear much more naturally and comfortably that way that using the memory wire and clear tubing of the stock cable. One other thing i loved was the viablue connector, I have a soft spot for their 1/8th in connectors, i love the quality feel of them and the build quality.

So now i guess you would be wondering if i would buy one, since that is arguably the most important thing at the end of the day. And do that I would say no, while i loved the benefits of the build quality and ergonomics, I don't find them to be commensurate with the increase in cost of the cord. Maybe if it were to cost half as much, or something under 150 dollars I would be more willing to purchase it, but at the current exchange rate it would be something like 270 dollars to order one. That's not to say that it isn't a wonderful cable, and I think that others would certainly feel that it was worth the cost.

I also want to say thank you to Project86 for allowing me to have the chance to demo the Toxic Cables Silver Poison cable, it was a pleasure.

So who's next on the list?

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #105 of 197
Quote:
So now that I've had the cable for about a week i figured that it was high time i write out some impressions and passed it on to the next individual on the list.

Ive been using the Silver Poison exclusively for the last week to give myself the best chance possible to acclimate myself to its sound. I'm not convinced that switching back and forth as quickly as possible is the best way to hear differences in cables, or any higher end equipment for that matter. Not to mention that swapping cables on IEMs isn't the fastest procedure in existence. So tonight after spending several hours listening for the last time, I switched back to the stock cable from JH Audio. And I will say that i think that i heard an ever so slight difference, the JH cable i think sounds just a tad more open, but the Silver Poison sounds just a tad bit fuller. And when I say tad bit, i mean like I'm not entirely sure i could pass a DBT to prove that, it's just the gut impression I got when i switched. And that was exactly what I was looking for my using it exclusively for as long as i did.

Now that i have the sound portion out of the way, we can move onto the more important part of the impressions. The cable just feels much more like something that would belong on a set of 1100 dollar IEMs. The cable is much thicker than the stock one, but its not unmanageable in any way shape or form. It's very flexible. Some things I noticed at first about the cable. It doesn't have a splitter, only a nice wooden choker. I found this strange at first, since all of the other cables I have ever used with my JH-13s have had splitters. But after a while i cane to appreciate not having a big wooden or plastic splitter in the way or weighing the cable down. The clear shrink wrap that is used instead is tastefully done and doesn't stand out further than it should. The other thing i really like is that it doesn't have any sort of memory wire or anything where the cable enters the ear piece. I thought that it allowed the cable to lay over my ear much more naturally and comfortably that way that using the memory wire and clear tubing of the stock cable. One other thing i loved was the viablue connector, I have a soft spot for their 1/8th in connectors, i love the quality feel of them and the build quality.

So now i guess you would be wondering if i would buy one, since that is arguably the most important thing at the end of the day. And do that I would say no, while i loved the benefits of the build quality and ergonomics, I don't find them to be commensurate with the increase in cost of the cord. Maybe if it were to cost half as much, or something under 150 dollars I would be more willing to purchase it, but at the current exchange rate it would be something like 270 dollars to order one. That's not to say that it isn't a wonderful cable, and I think that others would certainly feel that it was worth the cost.

I also want to say thank you to Project86 for allowing me to have the chance to demo the Toxic Cables Silver Poison cable, it was a pleasure.

So who's next on the list?

Thanks for the impressions Soup!

I know that it can be tricky to honestly report on your findings. Some people probably want to hear you trash the cable saying "It made zero difference! Cables are a scam!" And a different subset of people want to hear ravishing tales of increased clarity and resolution, to the point of night and day differences. As with many things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. 

Since you focused more on the external properties of having a quality cable, rather than the sonic traits, perhaps you would be a better candidate for one of the less expensive models in the Toxic line. The Silver Poison is the top cable but you can step down to the SPC Viper and I believe another step or two down from that as well. That might put it into your price range that you mentioned being willing to pay. Just an idea.

Quote:
Have batphink and argedee gotten it yet? I don't remember who dipped out anymore XD
Sent from my ICS Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Good question - this thread is getting somewhat confusing to me... Batphink should have the SPV Viper at the moment and will be sending it back to me when finished (can you PM me about it please?), and Argedee had removed himself from the list at one point. Argedee, still interested? Please reply in the next day or two, if not mosshorn will be the next recipient of the Silver Poison.

Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back