TOUR CLOSED - US Head-Fi Tour: PWAudio CIEM Upgrade Cables (Both 2-Pin and MMCX) - Starting October 2018
Nov 26, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #97 of 160
Well, this is going to be a massive post. Here are my thoughts on these wonderful cable and thanks again to @Barra and Music Sanctuary @Kozato for providing me with this awesome opportunity.

1950 (4-wire): I kicked off my listening with a nice A/B comparison with the 1950 and the Labkable Samurai III plugged into my Noble Katana IEMs. These are my new go-to IEMs to test cable differences as they offer extreme transparency and therefore help me identify subtle differences between cables and sources. Right off the bat, I notice a similar overall sound signature that is very neutral, but not dry or anemic in any way. The first thing that hits you with the 1950 is an overwhelming sense of realism with a maximum dosage of resolution. The cable offers utmost transparency, speed, clarity and blends it with a huge sense of naturalness. Treble is extended, sparkly, but controlled while mids and bass have wonderfully pleasing texture and authority. Upon further listening, I can detect a very layered sound where nothing is muddled together, but rather extended in all directions and each instrument or vocal really stands out from one another. I get that sense of “air” everyone talks about quite clearly. You can hear it between different instruments. I have not heard a cable like this before and again while differences are fairly subtle in cables in general, this one is quite easy to pick up. For pairing, I don’t see how you could ever go wrong with a cable as technical and transparent as this, unless you already don’t like the intended sound signature of your IEM. Overall, I’m incredibly impressed and I think it fairly easily outclasses one of my favorite cables (Samurai III) in that it manages that perfect balance between transparency and sounding boring. Very lively, very lifelike and layers aplenty. Ergonomics are wonderful and it is a cable I would very happily own (and might someday).

Update: paired with the Legend X, things get a little interesting since that would definitely be an IEM that falls into the “fun” category. 1950 tightens up the bass and gives it a bit more speed with less decay and that is something the Legend X can stand to have. Treble sparkle sounds slightly enhanced compared to the PlusSound X8 Silver + Gold I had on prior and the 1950 sounds more detailed, clear and open. I might slightly prefer the X8 pairing simply due to it adding more of the things Legend X is known for (bass slam, lush mids), but there’s little doubt that on a technical level the 1950 is a superior cable. Not example apples to apples as the 1950 costs nearly three times the price.

1960 (4-wire): Listening back to back with the 1950, I hear the 1960 being a tad softer around the edges, but strengthening the lower end of the spectrum. Every so slightly more natural and thicker, the 1960 falls somewhere into what I would call a “fun cable” in my layman terms and quite limited vocabulary at this hour of the evening. Bass notes get weight and authority, while mids get a touch of magic to make the cable fantastic with female vocals. Treble is slightly more polite than the 1950 and probably strikes a perfect balance of sparkle and thickness for most users. Being a treble head (but still appreciating the awesome extension), I prefer the upper registers of the 1950 by a hair. The 1960 offers sweetness and subtlety where the 1950 excels at putting you right at the concert when you close your eyes. Resolution is probably in the same ball park with my overworked ears hearing slightly more in the 1950. Obviously, I need both of these cables, no doubt in my mind! Ergonomics are first rate, again. No complaints at all. I can say with a fair bit of confidence that there is no IEM this cable would sound bad with. Resolution, transparency, a touch of warmth, incredible sound stage…it is no wonder this is a serious crowd pleaser (a crowd with deep pockets, albeit). I have heard that the 2-wire version of this cable is on the warmer side, but the 4-wire to me is on the acceptable side of neutral with excellent extension and again, vast soundstage with properly defined space between instruments.

Update: paired with the Legend X, this is a warm, lush experience that takes tone and timbre to great levels. I hear less treble sparkle than both the 1950 and the X8, but the bass almost has an analogue feel to it. Slower decay, but some serious slam that will put you back in your seat like the Legend X is known for. I would say the 1950 is every so slightly more layered and detailed on the Legend X, but the 1960 takes away less of the magic that makes the Legend X so fun. For me, this pairing is a little on the warm side and I still prefer the X8 pairing (which is great for my wallet). The 1960 to me really shined better on the Katan given the sound signature differences.

1980 (4-wire): Switching over to the 1980, let’s first call out the ergonomics: it is not as comfortable and doesn’t disappear like the 1950 and 1960 does. Having the equivalent of 18awg wire, however, it is remarkably compact. I’ve had 18awg wires before in the Rhapsodio Golden and it is a fair bit larger and heavier. If ergonomics are a top priority, you will be better served by the other chosen decades in the 1900s above. Ergonomics aside, however, this is a very special cable. I would call the sound a little closer to traditional copper, but improved in nearly aspect. I notice the most authoritative sub-bass with this cable, with mid-bass that has proper punch. Where the 1950 offers a very clean, fast bass and the 1960 providing a natural, touch-of-warmth bass, the 1980 slams you pretty hard in the chest (well, eardrum) when the music calls for it. This is a fun cable that also offers incredible resolution which I am now starting to see a theme of in these 1900s cables. Slightly different sound signatures, but top of the line sound no matter which direction you go in. My ears tell me this cable is the most “colored,” but that isn’t a bad thing here because nothing suffers in return. Extension is brilliant in both directions, the cable is detailed and layered similarly to the two above and it’s just overall a damn fun listen. Honestly if I were going to spend my money on one of the three (and not all three like I WISH I could), it would probably be the 1980. The background is noticeably and at times eerily black with proper source music and it’s noticeable even to newbies like myself. I just find this cable to be such an incredible all-rounder and guess what, it’s the cheapest! I don’t want to do any disservice to the other cables in this tour by grouping the 19xx cables separately, but since I’ve been given the authority to write whatever I want then I am going to: this is my favorite of those three. It’s strange, because I’ve been called a treble-head on many occasions, but this cable is just so magical to listen to with an IEM on the neutral/brighter side. It pairs perfectly with the Katana and I hope to visit this cable with other IEMs after (and I will update), but for now it is putting the largest smile on my face. Maybe because I was born in the 1980s? Doubt it.

Update: just revisited the 1980 with the Hyla CE-5 and wow. That IEM has a rather strong v-shape with an articulated and energetic treble as well as a very strong, precise dynamic-driver bass and the 1980 brought out the best of everything. I heard a very slight attenuation of treble, but it added some serious weight to the sub-bass while maintaining all the control the CE-5 is known for. It thickened everything up, but didn’t take away any resolution (quite the opposite) and made this one of the funnest sounding combinations I have heard in a while. I love this cable!

Update 2: I also paired this with the Legend X and the pairing has wonderful synergy. The 1980 is again my favorite cable of the three with the Legend X. There’s textured, deep sub-bass rumble, sparkle up top with great extension and mids are clear and open. This cable feels closest to the Legend X’s signature, but extends it in both direction with better layering and separation. I would say it is on the same level as the X8 as far as sound signature, but it feels like it has a tad more control on the lower end. Subtle differences of course, but I am quite pleased to find that the 1980 has been an improvement on every IEM I have plugged it in to. Something else I notice on this is an extremely black background compared to the X8, especially with quality files and a quality source. I’m generalizing here, but this has the fun and enhanced bass of the 1960 while approaching (not surpassing) the level of detail and sparkle the 1950 provides. It’s a winner to me.

Xerxes (8-wire): Man this is a beautiful cable, and one of the softest most supple 8-wire configurations I’ve ever worn. Ergonomics are a 10 out of 10. I usually save the ergos for last, but dang this is a nice surprise judged next to the 1980. Back to back with the 1980, I hear less weight in the sub and mid-bass, but a similar mid-range that effortlessly showcases male and female vocals. I understand that this cable contains silver, copper and gold and upon listening, you really hear what PW is going for with that breakdown of materials. I hear sparkly and well-extended treble at the top end, vocals and mids with a hint of sweetness and bass with speed and precision, but not too much weight or thickness. This cable falls into the all-rounder category for me and it does so in a very coherent manner. I really like this cable. If I could have this cable with the bass of the 1980, it would definitely be a “take my money!” right now scenario. That said, it would pair very well with warm or neutral IEMs that you are not looking to accentuate bass on. Honestly this cable feels like a wonderful, easy to love tuning that pretty much does everything well – a jack of all trades with plenty of fun for the whole family. Did I mention that the ergonomics are to die for? It is also a ridiculously beautiful cable.

Xerxes (4-wire): The 4-wire has an overall tone that is similar to the 8-wire, but it has a little less warmth which is more noticeable in the lower registers. It’s slightly dryer up top, but simultaneously offers great extension with a very detailed treble and slightly more energetic upper mid-range. I would classify this as a leaner version of the 8-wire (well physically obviously) that shaved off a few pounds in the bass and mids. Treble extension is similar, but a tad more sparkly. I think this cable would pair very well with warmer or darker IEMs, but it certainly will not rob them of their warmth or intended tone. So in a sense, it’s a cable that does not drastically change any frequencies, but does still offer a fun and engaging sound that is easy to love (which yes I’ve said too much, sorry, these cables are great). Since I foolishly rated the 8-wire an ergonomic knockout at 10 out of 10, then the 4-wire has to be an 11. It is phenomenally comfortable, lightweight and pairs well with just about everything. Again I suggest a warmer or darker IEM, but for those of us who love treble sparkle I am still tapping my feet and bobbing my head with the Katana pairing. This is a versatile, highly-recommended cable and the price is within the “reasonable” category for all but insane cable nut jobs (like me). If I’m being honest, the treble sparkle on this cable is absolutely perfect for me.

Loki (8-wire): Loki 8-wire in back to back testing with the Xerxes 8-wire injects a sense of clarity and separation into the sound somewhat typical of an all-silver cable. I hear instantly more treble sparkle in this cable while also hearing a very controlled, layered sub-bass and mid-bass. Definitely an emphasis on clean sub-bass on this one and no mid-bass bleed on the Noble Katana. A very fast, precise and open sounding cable that takes the Katana to a very high technical level. I think sound signature on this most-closely matches up with the 1950. The cable is a very strong contender for electronic music with a very black background and superb extension in the top registers. I really like this cable and while it departs from the slightly more “musical” Xerxes, this is technicality done well. Vocals are clear and crisp with slightly less emotion than the Xerxes, but again it comes down to preference. There is no coldness to the sound, but it is not a warm cable either (maybe just a touch throughout). A “spring” cable in the famous Flinkenick’s high-end cable thread, if you will. Ergonomics on this cable seem to be the same world-class-standard of the Xerxes in that it is extremely soft and supple for an 8-wire and I feel I could wear this all day. For my hard-earned money, this might be the cable for me given the technical level it operates on while costing nearly 2/3 less than the 1959 (and ergonomics are better on this for me).

Loki (4-wire): Loki 4-wire departs from the 8-wire variant in a similar fashion as the Xerxes where warmth decreases slightly across the range. I hear a greater emphasis on mid-treble and sub-bass is slightly decreased in quantity. Overall, the cable maintains that sense of clarity and air of the 8-wire, just slightly less emphasis on the bass. Treble extension is very similar between the two with the 8-wire sounding a tad smoother and more organic. Overall I prefer the 8-wire by a very slight margin, but the 4-wire is one of the most comfortable cables I’ve used. Very soft, supple and of course half the weight of the 8-wire. This would be a perfect on-the-go cable offering great levels or clarity, no harshness of the older silver cables and for the most part a very smooth sound probably best paired with IEMs on the warmer side. I still enjoy it greatly on the Katana, but it’s tip-toeing toward the analytical side (which is fine for some genres). Overall I’m impressed with Loki in both configurations and the choices are aplenty.

Saladin (8-wire): Saladin 8-wire was a bit of a surprise to me upon first listen. The treble is quite prominent and while I had a preconceived notion that this would be a warm cable, I was wrong. Comfort is right up there with the rest of the new supple insulation and it feels just like the Loki and Xerxes. This sound signature would definitely be best paired with a warmer IEM. I hear a lot of treble sparkle, a slightly forward mid and somewhat attenuated mid-bass and sub-bass. This cable, in a sense, sounds like I expect SPC to sound. I prefer the Loki in that it shares the same clarity, but overall is more natural, detailed and smooth. The Saladin wasn’t a great pairing with the Katana IEM and sadly, I’m running out of time to try it with other IEMs. Know that despite the cable being primarily copper, this is not a warm cable. It is a very detailed, clarity-oriented cable that provides a transparent sound.

Saladin (4-wire): Maybe I’m going crazy in my old age, but this 4-wire version is a warmer cable than the 8-wire cable. Someone the other day that taking the same cable and making it an 8-wire instead of 4-wire was “unpredictable” and I think I’m seeing that here. Throughout this tour, all previous 8-wire versions sounded warmer with more prominent bass than their 4-wire counter parts. I hear that differently (and backwards) in this cable and I prefer the four wire. Treble is not as extended or sparkly as the 8-wire, but I’m getting similar forward mids with a neutral quantity of bass. Overall, it’s still a very neutral cable but has no peaks that I can detect. Super duper comfort as I have come to expect from these newest PW Audio cables and overall this is a really nice showing from a cable more on the “budget” side. If you had asked me three years ago if I would ever refer to a $300+ IEM cable as “budget,” I would have laughed. Well, that’s a story for another time! This cable is a great choice. The signature reminds me a lot of my Labkable Samurai III in that it is fairly flat/neutral/reference, but not cold or lifeless.

No. 5: Barra has this down as an 8-wire, but the version that landed on my doorstep is 4-wire. I’ve had the No. 5 a few times before and it’s a high-value, high-performance copper cable. To me, the strengths of this cable are ergonomics, emotional vocals, a warmer mid-range and mid-bass and smooth treble. Going through the lineup, the No. 5 is not going to give you the all-out resolution or transparency as some of the others, but we’re talking a great value here for a sizeable upgrade over “stock” cables. I like the No. 5 and always have. I prefer to pair it with a neutral or brighter IEM, so it’s perfect on the Katana.

Helix (4-wire): Well here we go again, this cable is 8-wires, but who is really counting anymore? This is a very lively, exciting, detailed and energetic cable. I see in the decription it’s the same wire as the No. 5, but 28awg and 8-wires. This cable is awesome. It’s slightly tighter, crisper, better-defined and more layered than the 4-wire No. 5. I can clearly hear an increase in the bass control and overall it just sounds more airy and open. I really like this cable and might have to proclaim it the “winner” for the $300ish price point. It’s super comfortable, soft and lighter than the other 8-wires. It has those emotional and intimate vocals of the copper cables and still wonderful extension on both ends. Treble sparkle is somewhere around the level of the Loki to my ears and seriously, this cable might have been the most surprising of the bunch. I will buy one of these when they are available without question.

Copper 28 v2 (4-wire): The Copper 28 is a surprisingly detailed and clear-sounding copper cable that is light on its feet. I hear a controlled bass response, lush and detailed mid-range with clear vocals and a slightly smoothed out treble. Extension is a little attenuated up top, but bass is strong and hard hitting. This again sounds like you would expect a typical copper cable to sound, but it has a greater sense of transparency than a “stock” cable. I would this sounds like a slightly more neutral No. 5 and would pair well with a warmer IEM and it will keep the intimate vocals as such. Super comfortable and another great cable from PW Audio.

Final Thoughts: I probably should have started with this, but my test rig generally consists of the Sony TA-ZH1ES desktop DAC/amp, balanced 4.4mm TRRRS output and Tidal FLAC files playing through a pair of Noble Katana IEMs.

I would like to give a HUGE thanks to Music Sanctuary and Barra for the opportunity to test, oh, $10,000 worth of cables that would have normally been out of reach. It was a very fun exercise to test all these cables back to back and I learned quite a few things during the adventure. The first thing I learned was not to assume anything based on a cable’s wire count or material. I was surprised to hear differences that conflicted with my pre-conceived notions, but at the same time that was an educational experience.

So, after a few short days with these cables, my favorites are the 1980, Loki 8-wire and the Helix. I think the biggest surprise was the Helix and its ability to provide a fantastic all-around tuning. But once trying a few of the budget options and then putting the 1980 back in my ears, it clearly is a tier above in resolution, clarity and just an awesome sound signature for me. Sure it’s v-shaped and makes the IEMs sound fun, but to me that is what it’s all about. Ergonomics are not in the same pleasant category of the Loki or many of the others, but I’m willing to suffer a bit for this sound.

For anyone who already loves the sound signature of their IEM and wants to push its technical abilities to the absolute max, it’s 1950 (if you can take out a second mortgage on your house) or the Loki 8-wire. 1950 has a stunningly beautiful presentation of clarity and so does Loki for the most part. Those who want to buy an outstanding cable for between $300-400, Helix gets my vote for that kind of money. There is no bad choice here, not by a long shot. Well Guys, that’s about the best I can do staying up two hours past my bed time every night for a week to give you my honest, disorganized thoughts.

-Collin-

great post , too bad you are the sole exception - seems like people wanna try them out for themselves but don't care to share impressions

a shame , if you ask me.

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #100 of 160
So few impressions posted! :frowning2:
I would love to hear more as well. But so far, it sounds like many of the initial reviewers are stepping up to buy something that pretty much speaks for itself.

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #101 of 160
I would love to hear more as well. But so far, it sounds like many of the initial reviewers are stepping up to buy something that pretty much speaks for itself.

Can confirm, I dove straight into the deep end. D8CED8CC-C1EB-475E-B904-FC41AC1F7E3E.jpeg

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #102 of 160
Can confirm, I dove straight into the deep end.
Nice! Wish I would have gotten my LX in time to hear it with the 1950 before shipping the kits out. I guess that confirms that it is a wonderful pairing.

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #103 of 160
Nice! Wish I would have gotten my LX in time to hear it with the 1950 before shipping the kits out. I guess that confirms that it is a wonderful pairing.

I can see it not being for everyone. I really appreciate that it emphasis on things the Legend X isn’t quite “known for” and overall just presents such a wonderful package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back