TOUR CLOSED - US Head-Fi Tour: PWAudio CIEM Upgrade Cables (Both 2-Pin and MMCX) - Starting October 2018
Nov 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #83 of 160
First I decided which cables I would test with what IEMs, I mean did I really want to run my Westone UM1s with 1950 cable?
Then picked which I was the most interested in, and more likely to open my wallet for.

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #84 of 160
So far I’ve spent a few hours with the 1960s, 1950s, and 1980s.

1960s pair really well with the Legend X. It really brings out the low end and adds some meat to the signature overall in my opinion, great cable but I don’t really think the Legend X needs any boosting on the lower end. The sub bass really thumps and has a lovely decay to it, reminds me of a car subwoofer system almost.

1950s is pretty amazing, its a nice open transparent cable (not to say the 1960s wasn’t) and i feel it better complements the Legend X over the 1960s as it emphasizes more of the “weak” points of the IEM if you will. Just something about this pairing is so so good and I’m obsessed. The sound is so smooth and airy without taking away too much of what the Legend X is known for.

The 1980s reminded me a bit of the 1950s but the ergonomics of it were not good for me so I didn’t use it for more than 5 minutes as I knew i’d never purchase it for that reason, so I didn’t want to waste time.

Back to listening :)

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #87 of 160
19x0 series sounds fantastic but couldn't get over the stiffness. In the end it was a toss up between Saladin and Loki as my favorites. Helix was great as well. Really nice cables all around though, great tour! :)

The 1980 is incredibly stiff and uncomfortable, i disliked the paracord on the 1960s, the 1950s is pure perfection in every way for me.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #88 of 160
Well, time to pack the tour kit up so I can ship it out tomorrow. Big thank you to @Barra for organizing this and @Kozato from Music Sanctuary for providing the tour kit.

I’ve always been a cable believer in that different materials will alter the sound, but I only believed in small changes. These are some seriously fantastic cables and the most impressive bunch I’ve had a chance to listen to. It’s no secret the PW 1950s was by far my favorite. I probably used it for about 40 hours because I was just so obsessed with the sound. Everything was just so right. Nice open stage with great air and separation, extended treble with a nice sparkle, it also brought up the mids slightly all whilst retaining the lovely Legend X bass that it is known for. The next most used cable for me was the 1960s for about 4 hours. I’ll be getting a 1950s within the near future to go with my SP1000 SS and custom Legend X.

One of the most drastic sound changes I heard was going to the Loki 8 wire. It seriously managed to tame the bass down on the Legend X so much that it was almost like the 2 Weapon IX drivers didn’t even exist. I’ve yet to hear the two DD’s be that “quiet” ever with a cable, so I think that would be a great match for anyone looking to head down that route.

I didn’t listen to any of the 4 wire cables (outside of the 19x0s). :)

Edit: forgot to give a special shout out to the Xerxes and Saladin 8 wires. The Xerxes was a cable that didn’t really “wow” me with any specific characteristic but it was rather good at everything. The 8 wire variants are also very comfortable relative the Effect Audio’s offerings, the cables are nice and soft.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back