TOUR CLOSED - US Head-Fi Tour: Empire Ears Legend X vs. Phantom TOTL CIEM Tour - Starting November 2018
Dec 1, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #46 of 225
When is @Seancs14 shipping the kit?
Hey @koven - @Seancs14 only received the kit yesterday. Sorry, we are off to a slow start, but it is now out of my hands and we are moving down the line. :)

BTW, my custom Legend X is only getting better since I have received and began using it regularly. I have to say.... I am very impressed. Right now, it sounds like the Zeus with the addition of dual high-end, dialed in subwoofers. Extremely clear and crisp, but also very fun. It is absolutely the best CIEM for EDM that i have ever heard. However, when I downshift to instrumentals it sounds like the Zeus again - huge soundstage, extreme detail, and even the most delicate sounds are articulate.

Dec 1, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #47 of 225
Just received them today. Had dinner plans so haven’t even had a chance to listen yet.

Hey @koven - @Seancs14 only received the kit yesterday. Sorry, we are off to a slow start, but it is now out of my hands and we are moving down the line. :)

BTW, my custom Legend X is only getting better since I have received and began using it regularly. I have to say.... I am very impressed. Right now, it sounds like the Zeus with the addition of dual high-end, dialed in subwoofers. Extremely clear and crisp, but also very fun. It is absolutely the best CIEM for EDM that i have ever heard. However, when I downshift to instrumentals it sounds like the Zeus again - huge soundstage, extreme detail, and even the most delicate sounds are articulate.

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #48 of 225
Ok, a couple days in. Here’s some initial impressions.

Generally, they have most of what I really like about my Vegas (bass impact that’s not overbearing and overall excitement) yet noticeably stronger in the areas where the Vegas are weaker (higher highs, bigger soundstage, and more separation).

One of my favorite songs for seeing the range of a pair of iems is the live version of Calexico’s Crystal Frontier on Spiritoso. To me at least, well rounded iems can handle all 8 minutes of this song and I won’t ever really feel like anything is lacking. These are some of my favorite pairs I’ve ever listened to for this song.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #49 of 225
Ok, a couple days in. Here’s some initial impressions.

Generally, they have most of what I really like about my Vegas (bass impact that’s not overbearing and overall excitement) yet noticeably stronger in the areas where the Vegas are weaker (higher highs, bigger soundstage, and more separation).

One of my favorite songs for seeing the range of a pair of iems is the live version of Calexico’s Crystal Frontier on Spiritoso. To me at least, well rounded iems can handle all 8 minutes of this song and I won’t ever really feel like anything is lacking. These are some of my favorite pairs I’ve ever listened to for this song.
What is your source? I am finding that both of these CIEMs scale really well when power is applied. They sounded great out of my iPhone and my DAPs, but adding my C&C BH2 amp to my WM1a really brings them to life and to another level.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 225
I've been traveling a lot, so almost exclusively listening through my DAP, a Pioneer XDP-300r. A little iphone too, as well as my magni/modi Schiit stack. I definitely noticed that they sound great across all three sources, with correspondingly increases in quality with more power and better DAC.

Here's a bit of background on my use cases. I find this really helpful when reading reviews, so will throw it out here. I requested to join the tour because I'm in the process of deciding if it's worth it for me to go from the $1,000-$1,500 iem space where I'm at now (Vegas are my current iem of choice) to the $2k-3k space, knowing that I'll need to step up my DAP and desktop game to get the full value of an iem jump. I'm in my mid-30's dad with a 6 and 7 year old boys and entrepreneur. My new-ish company is still in the "consume all of your time and soul" stage, so most of my listening is at my desk or while traveling. Not much time for patient, analytic listening. I just love music and the nuances that come through better audio equipment helps me be more mindful.

What is your source? I am finding that both of these CIEMs scale really well when power is applied. They sounded great out of my iPhone and my DAPs, but adding my C&C BH2 amp to my WM1a really brings them to life and to another level.

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #51 of 225
I've been traveling a lot, so almost exclusively listening through my DAP, a Pioneer XDP-300r. A little iphone too, as well as my magni/modi Schiit stack. I definitely noticed that they sound great across all three sources, with correspondingly increases in quality with more power and better DAC.

Here's a bit of background on my use cases. I find this really helpful when reading reviews, so will throw it out here. I requested to join the tour because I'm in the process of deciding if it's worth it for me to go from the $1,000-$1,500 iem space where I'm at now (Vegas are my current iem of choice) to the $2k-3k space, knowing that I'll need to step up my DAP and desktop game to get the full value of an iem jump. I'm in my mid-30's dad with a 6 and 7 year old boys and entrepreneur. My new-ish company is still in the "consume all of your time and soul" stage, so most of my listening is at my desk or while traveling. Not much time for patient, analytic listening. I just love music and the nuances that come through better audio equipment helps me be more mindful.
Ooh, I love backstory. Can't wait to hear how the Vega's make out against the EE twins.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #52 of 225
Ooh, I love backstory. Can't wait to hear how the Vega's make out against the EE twins.

I think the Vega will get murdered even though I've read that the LX can have some bass bloom which is what I really disliked about the Vega. The Vega is way too V shaped and the bass sounded muddy even with the original Hugo. Venting is also bad and if the volume is a little too high with music that has a lot of bass slam, it can really hurt your ear drums. The Vega is also is not as detailed as many other IEMs in the same price range. Some vocals can seem very distant as well.

I should have the Hugo TT2 at Christmas (sold the Hugo 2 and focal clear to a friend) so I think by the time it's my turn I can give a decent set of impressions with how it plays with a solid desktop source.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #53 of 225
Please remember that the tour rules are different on this tour
Hey guys/gals, just a reminder that the tour rules are different on this tour to eliminate me as a bottleneck. I am having the receiving participant take responsibility for PM'ing the next participant and setting up a transfer email with me CC'd so that I can confirm the address. The participant list is in post 2 to grab their PM info. The new rules are pasted below:

At Receipt of Tour Kit: We need to know that the tour kit was received immediately to release the last participant from responsibility.
  • Confirm Receipt within 24 Hours: Please confirm receipt on the existing email thread with myself and the sender within 24 hours so both myself and the previous party knows that the transfer is complete.
  • PM Next 2 Participants: Please PM the next two participants in the participant's list (POST 3) to provide a backup in case the next participant is unavailable. Priority goes to the tour order as long as they reply within 24 to 48 hours.
  • Next Participant Email Confirmation: Please have the next participant email you and cc me at billb@cleardiff.com to confirm readiness. Please request their full name, mailing address, and phone number for the shipper.
  • Verification: Please wait to ship until I verify the shipping address by responding to that email that we are good to go.
  • Visibility: Please always respond to emails “Reply All” so that I have visibility into the shipping process.
  • Be Ready to Ship on Day 8: It is also your responsibility to ensure that you have shipped the kit to the next participant on the 8th day, so please be diligent in contacting and communicating with the next participant. Please never send a kit to a participant that has not responded even if you have their address from a prior tour.
  • Communicate Problems/Issues: If needed, you can always reach me directly at my email me at billb@cleardiff.com.

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #54 of 225
I just saw this thread today. Is it too late to request to join?

I live in Fremont, CA and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #55 of 225
I just saw this thread today. Is it too late to request to join?

I live in Fremont, CA and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour.
Of course not, welcome. Just follow the rules in the first couple posts and email the required documents and you are in.

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #56 of 225
@Barra you and I are in the same boat with funny shaped ear canals making universals difficult to keep in the ears... that’s the reason I went custom... how did you manage with the Legend/Phantom universals?

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #57 of 225
the EE unis are definitely some of the most ergonomic i've seen...they're also quite small.

i strongly prefer customs when they're available, but for pretty much all of ee's lineup, they've got you covered whether you want universals or customs.

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #58 of 225
@Barra you and I are in the same boat with funnily shaped ear canals making universals difficult to keep in the ears... that’s the reason I went custom... how did you manage with the Legend/Phantom universals?
I found the EE's demos fairly easy to get a good seal in the universal format with silicone tips as long as I don't move. Typically listened to them laying down or holding steady in my listening chair to retain the seal. My weird ears are a PITA when it comes to sampling CIEM demos - any movement and the seal is gone.

However, with my custom Legend X, there is a definite improvement over the awesome SQ that I heard in the demos. The bass goes lower, the textures are more pronounced even in the more delicate and subtle notes, and the treble feels wider and more etheric. These customs are different than my others with a perfect fit and not as deeply seated being easier to listen to for a long timeframe without getting sore ears. They are also much easier to get in and out of when needed. These Legend X customs are awesome and at the top of the EE game. They feel like a Zeus with better bass. I am working on a full review write-up on the LX as they are really an incredible top-tier CIEM that needs to be talked about more.

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #59 of 225
I found the EE's demos fairly easy to get a good seal in the universal format with silicone tips as long as I don't move. Typically listened to them laying down or holding steady in my listening chair to retain the seal. My weird ears are a PITA when it comes to sampling CIEM demos - any movement and the seal is gone.

However, with my custom Legend X, there is a definite improvement over the awesome SQ that I heard in the demos. The bass goes lower, the textures are more pronounced even in the more delicate and subtle notes, and the treble feels wider and more etheric. These customs are different than my others with a perfect fit and not as deeply seated being easier to listen to for a long timeframe without getting sore ears. They are also much easier to get in and out of when needed. These Legend X customs are awesome and at the top of the EE game. They feel like a Zeus with better bass. I am working on a full review write-up on the LX as they are really an incredible top-tier CIEM that needs to be talked about more.

I'm wondering how they will stack against my A18t. . . man oh man. . . let the fight begin. . .

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #60 of 225
They are very complementary, not the same signature. My A18 is more vivid and emotional and my Legend X is more musical and fun in an audiophile sense. Like I mentioned earlier, think Zeus with better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back