[TOUR] Cayin N6 - DAP Australian / New Zealand Tour Impressions
Jul 8, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #46 of 93
It's a shame Hum Pervasion doesn't receive more attention. It's one of the more detailed and competent players I know at the $400 mark. Only downside is slightly narrow staging. But it's passable.

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #47 of 93
Nice review/comparison.
Having owned the n6, dx90 and heard the pervasion, I would agree with a great deal of your review except the personal preference part, but of course, that's personal preference.
My favourite all round dap to date is the dx90, form factor, sound etc.
The n6 paired magically with my ref1, but not so well with pretty much anything else I have tried since.

I heard the pervasion pre update as well, so my opinion could well change on it, I know I greatly enjoyed it more when I tried yours briefly at the cafe. The changes were subtle, but they were the right changes.

Great write up!!

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #50 of 93
The N6 arrived to me with very early FW and is now updated to the latest (can't recall the no.)

To my ears, there was no significant SQ change.

What is it you liked least about X5II? 

Was it the sound being a little warm, lacking some clarity? 

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #52 of 93
Yeah, it was just overall unengaging and a tad lifeless. In isolation it'd be fine, but in comparison it's a step behind the others (via HPO). The line out is very good though (on par or better than N6 LO)

Hey mate :)

I see you reviewed the x3ii favorably.
Was this due to its cost/performance and other daps in that range or do you literally feel it is better than the x5ii?

I also agree the n6 sounds far more natural with dsd. Sadly that leaves me 2 albums lol

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #53 of 93
Thanks for the nice detailed write-up.

Besides the firmware (which I thought changed the sound considerably), I am also curious about the level of burn-in the unit had. I was not impressed with the N6 initially, but that changed after 150+ hours. It was initially a little edgy, but things smoothened out subsequently.

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #54 of 93
Yeah, it was just overall unengaging and a tad lifeless. In isolation it'd be fine, but in comparison it's a step behind the others (via HPO). The line out is very good though (on par or better than N6 LO)

I think you and I both prefer a more vibrant, cooler engaging sound other than X5II provides. Examples being Shozy Alien, Hum Pervasion. While I love my FiiO X1 I'd really thought FiiO had turned away from the warmer sound I heard in thier earlier amps. But X3II gives me strong aspects of the same tuning. (warm, slight veil,)

I personally do not like this sound, my ears get fatigued trying to reveal detail at high volumes, its just a strain and I feel underwhelmed then put them away. I really think Cayin sounds great though, more professional timbre than Hum and classy presentation. (I liked what I heard)

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #55 of 93
3 things to answer...

1. I favoured the X3ii due to it's price and performance. I don't remember it being as smooth / warm as X5ii, but I also wasn't comparing it closely with N6, etc.

2. This N6 might be new, but I also tried Wyd4's N6 with the same results / impressions so it's not a question of burn-in

3. Yes, I like a slightly cooler tonality, but not as far as the N6. My sweet spot is still just a touch warmer than neutral, but it's also (a lot) about staging and presentation for me.

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #56 of 93
3 things to answer...

1. I favoured the X3ii due to it's price and performance. I don't remember it being as smooth / warm as X5ii, but I also wasn't comparing it closely with N6, etc.

2. This N6 might be new, but I also tried Wyd4's N6 with the same results / impressions so it's not a question of burn-in

3. Yes, I like a slightly cooler tonality, but not as far as the N6. My sweet spot is still just a touch warmer than neutral, but it's also (a lot) about staging and presentation for me.

Thanks mate.
I am considering a more.budget conscious dap hence the x3 question.

And in regard to Loquah's comment about trying mine. My unit had 200 odd hours on it when he tried it. He tried it for around a week on updated firmware. His comments in this review we exactly as his were in his comparison. I personally didn't hear much change in sound regarding burn in outside of 10 hours, I could also attribute this to brain burn I'm. While I prefer the n6 to the hum, I agree with his comments regarding the sound. We just have different preferences.

He isn't hating on the n6, its just not for him.

And Loquah, I just read this and realised I quoted you then talked about you in the third person... Think I may be losing the plot.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #60 of 93
Just to update everyone, member gikigill is posting the Cayin N6 onto d marc0 today. Gikigill is going to complete a mega review with several DAP's for us.

Looking forward to reading it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back