tough decision: FXT90 or EPH-100?
Mar 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

aner

New Head-Fier
almost got to the final decision to buy FXT90, then found the EPH-100 deal (that will cost me 15$ less, so ~same)
really excited from the FXT90 reviews, about being overall good, fast.
the eph-100 i don't know really well...

mostly listening to psy-trance, psybient, regular rock-pop, loves different kinds and "rich" sounds (like psytrance with touches of rock\guitars etc.)

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 15
The both are very good fun sounding IEMs and they reveal hidden details with punchy bass and EPH100 offers more isoaltion.

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 15
I think this might boil down to a matter of fit. I didn't get along with the fit of the EPH-100 when I tried it out (relatively small ear canals), while the FXT90 has a more conventional fit. Just remember that you'll be living with these day in and day out; make sure you find one that's comfortable for you.

The sound of the FXT90 is also more tipped up at the ends than it is in the EPH-100, giving you the perception of 'fun' and spaciousness more easily, though the EPH-100 is not slouch.

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 15
I listen to a lot of the same stuff as you and the EPH-100 work really well.  They have very clean and well textured bass and the mids and highs are more neutral in tone yet still with very good detail while being laid back and non fatiguing at the same time.  Its soundstage is also very good in width and depth but the 3D presentation and instrument separation are top notch imo.  

I've listen to the FXT90 and while their good I just think the Yamaha's out do them by quite a bit and the only thing that they might do a little better is with the highs if you wont a brighter sound, other than that the EPH-100 at least for me sound much better.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
I've listen to the FXT90 and while their good I just think the Yamaha's out do them by quite a bit and the only thing that they might do a little better is with the highs if you wont a brighter sound, other than that the EPH-100 at least for me sound much better.

+1

Taking into account the type of music you will listen to things tip towards EPH100.

The Yamaha EPH100 thread has plenty of opinions agreeing it excels at Trance/EDM.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:

+1

Taking into account the type of music you will listen to things tip towards EPH100.

The Yamaha EPH100 thread has plenty of opinions agreeing it excels at Trance/EDM.

i listen to many genres, for example: infected mushroom, eminem, shpongle, mars volta, johnny cash, british rock, regular rock & pop charts. greedy, but i want exellence at all 

Quote:
I think this might boil down to a matter of fit. I didn't get along with the fit of the EPH-100 when I tried it out (relatively small ear canals), while the FXT90 has a more conventional fit. Just remember that you'll be living with these day in and day out; make sure you find one that's comfortable for you.

The sound of the FXT90 is also more tipped up at the ends than it is in the EPH-100, giving you the perception of 'fun' and spaciousness more easily, though the EPH-100 is not slouch.

fit is extremely important - i'm with them about 6 hours per day (help when studying + isolates noises).
can't try and return any because im international buyer, have relatively small ears (i think), how deep is the yamaha / jvc insertion? currently with cx300, medium tips

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 15

Well there is no such IEM that does all genre excellent. We wouldn't have all these threads otherwise.

You might as well be chasing the holy grail.

But as you have not got listed strong affinity towards classical or Jazz,  i would still highly recommend the EPH100.

As well as EDM i find the EPH100 excellent with hip-hop/rap/R&B, classic rock & pop. Just classical could be better with a much wider sound stage & better timbre.

Fit wise the eph100 have been said to have the best fit & isolation of any dynamic driver phones. Although there will be very few exceptions on the fit side of things with people having strange & sometimes  wonderful shaped asymmetrical ear canals. The eph100's go straight horizontally into the ear  in one neat easy go & stay there. No wiggling, sliding etc. Its one of the main reasons i have these for gym & commuting use. The other day I ended up waiting hours with my son at the kids accident & emergency unit. You can imagine the screams & crying from little toddlers around me but i was oblivious to it all. The EPH100's isolated perfectly well -in fact a little too well as i didn't hear my sons name being called out by the nurse.

GL.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 15
I have the EPH-100 and so far I like it better than my Triple.Fi 10 , Futuresonics MG7 driver Atrios, Monsters Pro Coppers, and Monsters Mile Davis Tribute. With all of those earphones I felt like if I was sitting in a room listening to a fantastic music system but somebody had put a wall of heavy fabric and curtains between the sound and me and then when I put on the EPH-100 it feels like this layer that's in between gets removed and everything is so clear at last. The bass comes out in full force after about 30 hours. They work best for me with my iPhone 4 and the EQU app. Isolation for me is also better than any of those earphones I mentioned and its the only IEM out of those mentioned that I feel I can do more and walk around and move my head and will not feel them. With the Monsters Mile Davis I felt like I could only use them sitting down.

This is the App I use that make the EPH-100 the best earphone I ever listened to. They also sound wonderful in my Sony but I find myself really wanting to go back to this App for more tweaking.
http://www.elephantcandy.com/?page_id=572

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Wow, I would take the Atrios, TF10 and the FXT90 easily over the Yamahas. As you can see YMMV. 

The eph100, as with any single micro driver of similar design, will isolate very well. The fxt90 only has average to less than average isolation due to a shallower fit; but fit is very simple to attain and comfortable. 

For a divergent point of view:
My issues with the eph100 were the in-head soundstage, which is common for me with single micro drivers and it's tonality problems in treble, which made it impossible for me to enjoy them. While the fxt90 is less forgiving as the Yamahas, I think it has much better instrument realism, dynamics and musicality. The fxt90 excels in distortion guitar crunch. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 15
I never heard a FXT90, but i have the idea of EPH beeing more all-in-one. (friendly signature, isolation and confort).

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 15
I never had the JVC but really like the Yamaha. The sound and fit with the right tips is excellent. The sound is pretty balanced with punchy defined bass. I think the treble is good to excellent but low bit rate recordings may sound zingy due to the transparency of the micro driver. Isolation is very good and I wear them for hours without discomfort. I do have mid to large ear canals though so can't they will fit you as well as me. The yamaha's have a rich, liquid musical sound that should serve your music well. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 15
I prefer the FXT90 overall by quite a bit... but when owned the EPH-100s, preferred them for psytrance. Their in-head, non fatiguing, warm albeit detailed sig made them perfect for swirling synaptic squelches and snarling acidic rhythms.

I don't generally listen to guitar music light enough to be called rock, but would agree with Shane that the FXT90 truly excels with distorted guitars. They portray crunch in a way the Yams can only dream of. I'd also say (though many may disagree) that the the JVCs are overall more versatile and can pull off a wider range of genres, and whilst they can't pull off psytrance quite as well as the Yams, they certainly don't do it an injustice. In fact, their forward and assertive presentation makes psytrance a very exciting and engaging listen.   

The EPH do isolate better, and are more comfortable, but I'm never left wanting with the JVCs. I found the EPH-100s better for passive listening (in bed, or relaxing in the evening)  and the FXT90s very good for active listening (running, cycling).

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 15
Interesting discussion. Which of these two is better for jazz? (Source: iBasso DX50)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back