tough day at Rancho ricardo
Sep 18, 2001 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Had to take one of my cats to the vet yeasterday.My wife,who I love dearly made a mistake and put a flea medication meant for dogs on our cats with disasterous results.Within hours my "Booger" who is fourteen years old started to quiver and shake.When I realized what had happened I knew immediately that he sustained damage to his nervous system.The meds in question are absorbed into the skin and last for 30 days on a DOG of 30-50 pounds ! Big damn OD.

Problem is,Boogs was almost 15 years old and could not handle the shock.The vet sent him home with instructions not to let him out.I went out hiking for several hours and when I got home he was in poor shape but still hanging on.Sorta kinda a wait and see and hope for the best thing.Well he did not evidently have a good night so we rushed him to the vet first thing this morning.Boogs passed at 2:30 this afternoon and I will miss him.

The other cat ? Trouble is young and strong,just about 1 year old now.We brought him in to be totally washed down by the vet just in case and we watch closely for signs but so far all is well.I can only hope.

So booger,wherever you are man,it was fun and I do miss you,you can never be replaced in my heart

Sorry folks but his passing had to be noted somewhere,and this seems a place among friends (even when I get a little rammy) so..............

Sep 18, 2001 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 22
**** rick, that sucks. I'm really sorry man. It's amazing how close pets can get to your heart. Hope the family's coping alright...

Sep 18, 2001 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 22
Thanks neruda., 'preciate it dude. As you can imagine it hit my wife pretty hard.She thinks she is to blame for his death but accidents do happen,no one at fault.And my oldest son had 'burial detail" but he dealt with it.You do what you have to man but feel better just letting it out by posting here,therapy of sorts.The good news is "Trouble" still whacks at the python cage,a good sign ! Means he is well enough still to cause "trouble"

Rick

Sep 18, 2001 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 22
Rick,

As the "father" of a cat and two dogs (and other furry non-humans prior to these), I know how painful losing them is. I am very sorry for your loss, man, and I thank you for sharing it with your friends here.

Please give your family my regards -- and my wife's too (you coaxed a tear out of her too).

Sincerely,
Jude

Sep 18, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 22
Sorry to hear of your loss Rick. I used to call my first dog, an Irish Setter, Boogs as well. After he died, to avoid that sorrow again, I swore I'd never get another dog. 23 years later, when my marriage fell apart 6 years ago, I renegged and aquired a pair of miniatures. They've been my friends and my therapists ever since. They're as much a part of my family as my brothers and sisters.

I wish people were as noble and genuine as cats and dogs.

Sep 18, 2001 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 22
Thanks guys , I knew I came to the right place.And Jude,I will pass that on,tell your wife thank you for me and my wife.
I am usually one of these "you can not tell how I feel by looking at me" guys,you know,stiff upper lip and all that.But some things are hard to get past and this is one that will cause me to lose sleep tonight.Though I have another cat and also have a dog,they are each individual "people" and one can not replace another.The "boogs" will be missed.
Again , thank you

Rick

Sep 18, 2001 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 22
rick,
i've had many cats and a few dogs too, and currently have a very sweet iguana and guinea pig. i know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet, and i even lost my favorite dog to accidental poisoning too when i was a kid. you get close to these critters and then you outlive them; how cruel. anyway, my sympathies to you and your wife.

Sep 18, 2001 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 22
rick: Don't worry - Booger will be in cats' heaven, now, surrounded by young and sexy kittens, plenty of food, wooly balls to play with and whatever else a cat could desire (comfy cushion near a warm fireplace, cat-friendly remote control for his 100 channel cat-tv...), I'm sure. Oh, well, I'm not completely sure, but it's meant as a nice thought, anyway.

Manfred / lini

Sep 18, 2001 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 22
I had the greatest dog once. She had an unusually human personality. When we moved into an apartment my Mom had to sell her. It hurt but in a way it's much easier than seeing her pass away... In short I am sorry your cat died it's often just like losing a best friend or family member.

Sep 18, 2001 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 22
Rick, my deepest sympathies. We have twin cats (one male, one female) and they are as much a part of our family as any person. I can't imagine losing them. I was really sorry to hear
frown.gif

Sep 18, 2001 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 22
frown.gif

Sep 18, 2001 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 22
As a fellow cat-lover and owner of 2, I extend my deepest sympathies. My parent's cat Willie, that I grew up with recently passed as well. This was very hard on the family. It's not a trivial thing losing a pet.

markl

Sep 18, 2001 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 22
I am so sorry to hear the bad news Rick. I really hope your wife is okay. Tell her that accidents do happen to good people and just let her know how much you and your family love her, and she'll be okay.

As for Booger, believe me, I know how you feel. I also have two cats (what's with us tough guys and cats anyway?), rigth now they are with my mom while my wife is pregnant, and I realy miss them. They are very special to me, maybe in a way only a child can be. Cats are so funny, smart and crazy, so much like cool humans with no worries in the world. In any case, Booger is in a good place now, full of mice and catnip, because all animals are good and they all go to Heaven, and you will meet him again soon, perhaps in the face of another kitty in need of a good home.

I wish I was around to trade stories about the crazyness our cats live in, like the time Jaspe, the female, jumped into a ceiling fan or the time when the male, Onix Jr., roughed up a Rottweiler. That was hard to believe, even as I saw it. I am sure you have great stories about Booger (and Trouble, what's in a name?).

Anyway, my wife and I are sending you and your family a big hug and good vibes. Take care friend.

Carlos

Sep 19, 2001 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 22
Thanks onix,man DO I have stories ! Another time though.I will say though that the dog was petrified of old boogs,he was a bushwhack artist with no love for dogs.

I had to edit the rest.Even I could not read it without getting my keyboard wet.
frown.gif

And HEY ! HOO YOO CALLIN TOUGH GUY ! Hehehe
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back