Tough choice, iPod +$100, or x5l?
Jun 20, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #16 of 18
Ah nice, another x5 vs. ipod discussion.
If the batterylife isn't a big problem I would go for the ipod. Because of the bigger screen, I like the interface and scrollwheel better and because it has id3tagbrowsing as standard(you probably can get id3tag on the x5, but it's quite a hassle and you lose some of the benefits of the x5(I believe line in rec. wasn't supported by rockbox?)). I don't think I can hear the difference easily between the x5 and ipod. I only use my x5 when I'm on my way, so I don't analyse the sound or do some critical listening. That's why a tiny difference in sound wouldn't mind me(certainly not with my low-end gear--> shure's and senn px-100 and with my low bitrates--> mostly 192kbps or 256kbps vbr).
After reading a lot of tests (not tried it myself!) I found out that many people think that there isn't a very big difference in sound between the ipod and x5. Some reviewers liked the x5 more, others the ipod(just like with speakers, amplifiers etc.). What you should do is go and find yourself a ipod5g that you can borrow, put some numbers you really like and know on the device and compare. Find out what you like best.

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #17 of 18
get the ipod and rockbox it if you would like to. The x5 and the ipod sound really similar so sell the x5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back