TOTL Satisfaction
May 21, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #31 of 40
I’ve no idea why the Oriolus Trailli isn’t in the Summit fi forum

But it has been by far one of my most satisfying audio upgrades and one I don’t really see the need to upgrade from.

Focal Utopia also scales well and from a technical perspective magnificent. Soundstage could be wider and more transparent but can’t have it all

May 21, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #32 of 40

But it has been by far one of my most satisfying audio upgrades and one I don’t really see the need to upgrade from.

Focal Utopia also scales well and from a technical perspective magnificent. Soundstage could be wider and more transparent but can’t have it all
Threads are always there, where the initial Poster created them.
So regular and summit fi Forums overlap a lot.

I.e. LCD-X thread is in summit fi, while Hifiman Arya or Meze Empyrean are in regular.

I've never seen them being moved afterwards

May 22, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #33 of 40
You use the AK 1000 more than your Rossini?
yes, because the Rossini is in my Flat in London where I am say 3-4 months a year. but clearly the Rossini is much better - on the other hand not very transportable,
if I am in London I use the Rossini-Passlabs-Sabria combo really a lot

May 22, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #34 of 40
I am curious how much improvement that custom balanced to unbalanced converter brings to the whole chain. I have a similar chain as yours but Stratus not Stellaris (some day...) and I have been debating if I should get a balanced to unbalanced converter like jenson. Would adding converter into the chain an upgrade or just a side grade with different flavor? Building a custom one might be more cost effective but that sounds complicated.
The major difference is the gain. There is more gain from balanced outputs of the yggy. I haven't really noticed any difference in the quality of sound, though I haven't really tested a wide range of music. I have the single ended from the yggy and the output of the converter connected to the DNA. Toggling between inputs I've really found no major difference other than volume. It is a challenge to level match quickly so an a/b comparison isn't in the cards. I was curious if the converter would make much of a difference. Maybe with different cables it would but so far I don't see the value of a converter with the latest version of the yggy.

May 22, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #35 of 40
The major difference is the gain. There is more gain from balanced outputs of the yggy. I haven't really noticed any difference in the quality of sound, though I haven't really tested a wide range of music. I have the single ended from the yggy and the output of the converter connected to the DNA. Toggling between inputs I've really found no major difference other than volume. It is a challenge to level match quickly so an a/b comparison isn't in the cards. I was curious if the converter would make much of a difference. Maybe with different cables it would but so far I don't see the value of a converter with the latest version of the yggy.
Thanks for sharing your experience msiklvr! I also read somewhere that because DNA was single end internally so it won't matter that much echoing your experience, unlike some other amps that are internally balanced. Though I am also looking on the used market for any good converter for example Jenson ISO or A&S XLR to RCA blackbox that Zach of ZMF recommended. The A&S blackbox asking price of $550 is on the higher end for me to just buy and test out.

May 23, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #36 of 40
Thanks for sharing your experience msiklvr! I also read somewhere that because DNA was single end internally so it won't matter that much echoing your experience, unlike some other amps that are internally balanced. Though I am also looking on the used market for any good converter for example Jenson ISO or A&S XLR to RCA blackbox that Zach of ZMF recommended. The A&S blackbox asking price of $550 is on the higher end for me to just buy and test out.
If you decide to go the route of transformers, have a look at one of the other audio forums where there is a lengthy discussion of converters with circuit diagrams and part numbers for both Jenson and Cinemag transformers (used in the A&S box) as well as well as comments on the various off the shelf xlr to rca and isolator Jenson boxes. PM me if you need more info.

May 26, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #37 of 40
My LCD4 headphones sound good with my Moon 430 ha amp and PS Audio Directstream dac with Perfectwave transport and Auralic Aries G2.1 streamer. I had a pair of Focal Utopia headphones which unfortunately were lost in transit but the LCD4 headphones are my favourite.

May 26, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #38 of 40

If its not in the summit fi Forum it's not summit fi sry. You have to look further for you endgame.

May 26, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #39 of 40
If its not in the summit fi Forum it's not summit fi sry. You have to look further for you endgame.
Yeah this peasant-fi can never be true endgame...😂

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #40 of 40
My 5 cents: in order of use:
Headphones: Obravo eat-2c (& 1c), Final D8000, Stax SR009A, CA Solaris, LCD4
Source: AK 1000, AK 1000M, DCS Rossini
Amp: Pass XA30.8, Nagra 300i
LS: Wilson Sabrina, B&O 9, 20
it is interesting do You prefer obravo eamt2c over eamt1c? are these small differences? thank You :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back