TOTL Satisfaction
Apr 10, 2021 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

msiklvr

Head-Fier
There is a thread for disappointments, yet there is not one for total satisfaction with your setup. As the sound is the summary of all of the components, not just the amp, dac, headphones, etc. There should be a thread for those to chime in with what they feel works for them. No deep analysis with graphs and figures, just impressions. Maybe I am out in left field here, but there is no thread in which I can express how very happy I am with my setup. Sure, maybe it is above someones price point or below someone else's but none the less it works, as a system. If this is of interest, chime in.

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 40
Well there you have it. People can complain for 800 or 100 pages of posts. When it comes to making positive comments nothing but thundering silence :D

Perhaps the fact you refrained from listing your happy system caused people to not be encouraged enough to chime in.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 40
My ZMF Auteurs and Verite Closeds are end-game superness for me.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 40
Well there you have it. People can complain for 800 or 100 pages of posts. When it comes to making positive comments nothing but thundering silence :D

Perhaps the fact you refrained from listing your happy system caused people to not be encouraged enough to chime in.

90% of this sub-forum is glaringly positive comments lol.. that's probably the reason for the inaction here.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 40
TCs, WA33. No complaints with those two. 🤷‍♂️

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 40
90% of this sub-forum is glaringly positive comments lol.. that's probably the reason for the inaction here.
Did you get your Shangri-La yet? If so, what do you think of it?

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 40
Yeah, I laughed at that "no one remembers the positives" post too. I stopped counting the "_______ appreciation" threads on here that have lasted over a decade... Most of the stuff on here is positive, and that's what gets us all in trouble and spending the cash cash :p

But to add to the thread, my satisfied combos:
1. Oppo PM-3 + LH Labs Geek Out V2+ Infinity
2. Sennheiser IE8 + iBasso D42 Mamba
3. HiFiMAN HEKv1 + Xindak a600e MkII + PS-Audio PWD MkII
4. JVC HP-DX1000 + DNA Sonett + Lite DAC-83

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 40
Did you get your Shangri-La yet? If so, what do you think of it?

I have not. My dealer warned almost two months ago that it's a 3-4 week build time.. I didn't listen lol. So I should still have 1-2 weeks before it ships to me, plus another 3-4 days shipping. I try to just forget about it lol

Apr 23, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 40
My ToTL satisfaction combo is in my signature.
Each piece carefully chosen after extensive reading.

Yes there are also other gear pieces that interest me and might fit even better, however I am so content with what I have, that I don't seriously think about replacing or adding anything else right now.

Rockna Wavelight -> T+A PA2000R (for EQ) -> Octave V16 SE -> Meze Empyrean & T+A Solitaire P

Overall a very clear and full bodied sound, with non fatiguing treble.

Apr 23, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 40
Let me add mine to the list:
Squeezebox Touch or Foobar 2000 > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 > custom balanced to unbalanced converter > DNA Stellaris > Diana V2 or Verité open. Completely satisfied with these combinations. Both phones offer something different. They are different and complementary to each other.

So the question might be why. It is a simple answer. When I change my focus to any other activity while listening such as reading, I miss something from the sound. There is too much happening to share with other senses. With no other distractions I find myself completely immersed in the music with no desire for anything else. Of the sound, no faults, no thoughts of what is missing. Delighted to hear aspects of recordings which are surprising or newly discovered. I really can't think of better attributes for a system.

It doesn't sound like being there at a live venue all the time, though it does sometimes. That is not bad. Is there better? Probably. Do I need it? Probably not. Do I keep looking for something better. Not a chance. Am I happy to listen for hours on end? No question, yes. Is it the best for anyone. Probably not, though I have no doubt many would find it remarkable.

Thank you all for responding to this thread. I quite agree there are many positive comments on the forum. It is not always easy to find the gold among the detritus. The idea behind this was to make it easier for people to find what people have found to be enjoyable and for those interested to share their experiences.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #11 of 40
For closed-back listening, it is in my sig more or less...

RoonROCK >>SOtM SMS Ultra >> SW1X DAC II >> 1101 Audio Blue Halo >> ZMF Verite Closed

Wavelight mentioned above, Spring May are other DACs I'd be happy with for sure (I've not had good access to a Dave). Not sure what other closed HPs, I'd be satisfied with, but TCs for opens are awsesome. 2-channel is an entirely different story again.

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 40
Harbeth Monitor 30 + Ayre V5xe + Linn Akurate DS Katalyst. Been running essentially the same gear for over a decade now (made various upgrades when offered by manufacturers). Haven’t heard another setup that is markedly better without spending significantly more.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 40
Oh, interesting as the trend is ever-cycling gear.

I would say Reference 3 DAC, CFA3 with Abyss TC and Reference 3 DAC, Uberamp with SR1a meet grails for me.

I still spend 98% of the time listening to my electrostat Neolith speakers though.

I dig @chesebert having stuck with gears for so long. I think my current set will lead me to a similar path.

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #14 of 40
I dig @chesebert having stuck with gears for so long. I think my current set will lead me to a similar path.
Yeah me too, that is very impressive, especially since he is still Roaming the Forums.

Hopefully things will turn out similar for me.

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 40
After quite a bit of a journey these are the four headphones I found that are able to transport magic in a way that it can be so addicting to listen to music throuth them thats its difficult to stop - something only few headphones are capable of:
- Stax SR009
- Stax SR007MK2
- Hifiman Susvara
- Abyss Diana (if getting added warmth i.e. through tubes)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back