Totl portable dac/amp
Jun 16, 2019 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chessblitzer2017

100+ Head-Fier
How come there's only pretty much <200/100$ ultra portable dac amps straight too your smartphone? How come there's no totl non daps? I've been waiting for months ... Any1 else waiting seems like it's just never going to come....???

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 10
How come there's only pretty much <200/100$ ultra portable dac amps straight too your smartphone? How come there's no totl non daps? I've been waiting for months ... Any1 else waiting seems like it's just never going to come....???

Woo wa11

Ifi Micro Black Label

Chord Hugo 2

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 10
*Ultra*portable .. like stick that isn't 100 bucks or dongle straight from android phone no bricks

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 10
It's not feasible or profitable to expect totl sound in something a little bigger than a USB jump drive. The electronics just don't work out that way, and the market for such luxury items is tiny even compared to people who want totl sound regardless of size. I just don't think you can fit a flagship balanced DAC/amp into such a small form factor since better sound usually require more power in addition to all the electronics required to process that sound.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 10
*Ultra*portable .. like stick that isn't 100 bucks or dongle straight from android phone no bricks
I think that you are being unrealistic, given the currently economic electronics.
Take the Chord Mojo as an example - that performs 500 times the processing performed by a typical dac, and the case is sized to accommodate a battery + allow all the generated heat to dissipate.
The dac would melt if you tried to cram everything into a form factor the size of a Audioquest Dragonfly.

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 10

Because electronics too obey the law of physics, not magic. You want something to be ToTL, then it needs to have ToTL components and design - and those things are neither cheap nor small.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 10
I think that you are being unrealistic, given the currently economic electronics.
Take the Chord Mojo as an example - that performs 500 times the processing performed by a typical dac, and the case is sized to accommodate a battery + allow all the generated heat to dissipate.
The dac would melt if you tried to cram everything into a form factor the size of a Audioquest Dragonfly.
You're making the wait so much harder... Gotta hoard my pennies :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back