TOTL Open Headphone for a Bass Head?
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 21
Honestly if you want "basshead" level bass from a summit-fi level open can, why not just get an HE-6 and mod it or for even more bass get an HE-500 and mod it, even though the HE-500's are mid-fi cans now.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #18 of 21
Audeze LCD-X
Fostex TH900 .. semi open but sound like open
Pioneer SE-MASTER 1 have crazy bass ,, but i never liked it and i dont recommend it

or just use subwoofer with any headphone ..

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #19 of 21
So I'll start this off by reiterating a bit of the thread title: I am a Bass Head. I like a solid and impactful bass slam. My home theater has 4 - 2 x 21" custom subwoofer arrays in it. I constantly crank the low end on the EQ of my RME ADI-2 Pro to +10db (depending on what I'm listening to). I listen to a lot of bassy music including R&B, Rap, Reggae, and Dancehall. I also like some Soul and Rock mixed in.

My current go-to setup is my ZMF Eikon's plugged into my RME ADI-2 Pro in Balanced Mode. Sometimes, however, I feel like I wish I had a TOTL pair of open cans (I've got HD650's, HiFiman He400i's and 560s).

So I've been looking at the LCD-3/4, Edition X/HE-1000 and Ether Flow. I read so many conflicting opinions on these that I don't really know what's up and what's down. It's tough for me to audition much of this stuff where I live (except the HiFiman's).

I'm not at all pigeonholing myself to these few cans and am open to all suggestions.

So what do you guys think? Can you help me zero in on one particular set that would suit me?

Thanks in advance!

It depends if you want emphasized bass or accurate bass.

For emphasized bass I really enjoyed my Lcd-X with Apex Peak/Volcano amp and 6sn7w tube from VTS. Nice thick deep sounding bass without sounding bloomy or fuzzy. I was an early adopter so it is hard to say what they sound like now but the original version was very satisfying.

For accurate bass I really enjoyed my sr-007mk1 with full size Mjolnir kgsshv. Just pin point accurate bass. The most accurate bass I have ever heard and that includes headphones that cost twice as much.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #20 of 21
Definitely there are 2 kinds of bass. I learned that too, and I found out that I am a bass head for True fidelity bass with Dynamic punches that can punch out my eardrums. I am loving KG T2 and 009, can’t get much TOTL more than this

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 21
Definitely there are 2 kinds of bass. I learned that too, and I found out that I am a bass head for True fidelity bass with Dynamic punches that can punch out my eardrums. I am loving KG T2 and 009, can’t get much TOTL more than this

Probably can't. Out of a kgsshv though I still kinda liked the 007 in terms of bass. My 404LE has pretty good bass as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back