TOTL Open Headphone for a Bass Head?
Jan 2, 2018 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

justb2

New Head-Fier
So I'll start this off by reiterating a bit of the thread title: I am a Bass Head. I like a solid and impactful bass slam. My home theater has 4 - 2 x 21" custom subwoofer arrays in it. I constantly crank the low end on the EQ of my RME ADI-2 Pro to +10db (depending on what I'm listening to). I listen to a lot of bassy music including R&B, Rap, Reggae, and Dancehall. I also like some Soul and Rock mixed in.

My current go-to setup is my ZMF Eikon's plugged into my RME ADI-2 Pro in Balanced Mode. Sometimes, however, I feel like I wish I had a TOTL pair of open cans (I've got HD650's, HiFiman He400i's and 560s).

So I've been looking at the LCD-3/4, Edition X/HE-1000 and Ether Flow. I read so many conflicting opinions on these that I don't really know what's up and what's down. It's tough for me to audition much of this stuff where I live (except the HiFiman's).

I'm not at all pigeonholing myself to these few cans and am open to all suggestions.

So what do you guys think? Can you help me zero in on one particular set that would suit me?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 3, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for your replies! I looked briefly at the Abyss and was intrigued by it. I can't say I'm a huge fan of it's looks though. Why would you recommend the v1 over the newer Phi version?

If I'm honest with myself, I'd love to keep this under $2500ish and don't have a problem buying used to do so. I know the LCD4 can be had used for around $2600ish and I'm fine with that.

Jan 3, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 21
I agree with thenewguy007 here, the abyss has the best bass ive heard by far
Used v1 can be gotten for around your budget

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 21
The general consensus on the Abyss thread is that the bass dB was lowered a bit on the Phi (still very strong & authoritative bass). The midrange on the phi is more upfront & the treble is also not as sharp.

Otherwise they seem to be close in sound signature.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 21
I was very impressed with the way the Abyss Diana seemed to smack me right between the eyes with their bass impact when I heard them at CanJam.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm partial to the Pioneer SE Master 1 for my basshead fix with open headphones.............fed from my vintage amps they thump as much as any headphone I've tried (60 and counting)....

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 21
My current go-to setup is my ZMF Eikon's plugged into my RME ADI-2 Pro in Balanced Mode. Sometimes, however, I feel like I wish I had a TOTL pair of open cans (I've got HD650's, HiFiman He400i's and 560s).
The Atticus is more bassy than the Eikon actually, and in keeping with the ZMF sound sig, you might want to consider Auteur for open.

Another option to try is Kennerton Odin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back