TOTL Headphones for EDM
Mar 31, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #31 of 45
Hot treble likely exacerbated by the metallic timbre makes for a very fatiguing listen.
I recently had seen somebody state that utilising the pads for the Elex, together with the Utopias, had helped for that problem with their "sharpness", or their "brightness", for that person.

Had you tried utilising the pads for the Elex, or any different pads, together with the Utopias?

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #32 of 45
I recently had seen somebody state that utilising the pads for the Elex, together with the Utopias, had helped for that problem with their "sharpness", or their "brightness", for that person.

Had you tried utilising the pads for the Elex, or any different pads, together with the Utopias?
It's likely I wont be trying the Utopia again until its successor. I simply have zero interest in trying to force the situation.

A byproduct of just how much enjoyment the TC brings to the table.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #33 of 45
My absolute favorite are the Odin's, if you can deal with IEM's, then probably susvara now.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #34 of 45
Hey I was recently searching for this topic and I was thinking about buying the E-MU Teak for EDM. I have a FiiO Q3 and M11 Pro which should be fine to drive out of and my only other headphones are the FH3 and V-MODA crossfade M100. I wanted a good midfi/entry hifi over ear to dip my toes after falling in love with the FH3 and getting me more into audiophilia. It's not TOTL but I thought it would be a good intro, thoughts?

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #35 of 45
Campfire Audio Cascade

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #36 of 45
Having taken the TC through the paces for over a week now, it excels at many things but EDM is the one that it seems to handle with the most ease.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #38 of 45
Having taken the TC through the paces for over a week now, it excels at many things but EDM is the one that it seems to handle with the most ease.
just what i want to hear. i listen to mainly EDM and metal :beerchug: :o2smile:

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #39 of 45
just what i want to hear. i listen to mainly EDM and metal :beerchug: :o2smile:
Yeah, the TC is a metal monster too although, as you know, there are so many metal subgenres that some fare better than others with the TC's tonality. TC has been reviving the somewhat dormant metalhead in me so I still have some ways to go. Haha. Started getting into BTBAM per @paradoxper's suggestion and will start digging into other stuff soon. Sometimes, the low-and-mid treble range can get a little spiky with black metal kinds of stuff but nothing that can't be tamed with a slight EQ tweak. For death, Djent and prog metal, the TC just pulverizes. :metal:

For electronic in general (ambient, experimental, trip hop, etc.) as well as EDM, house, dubstep, etc. the TC handles them all with such authority and power as well as finesse and technique. Really can't imagine it sounding better right out of the box with the EQ set flat. Sometimes, you just feel like you are transported to the middle of a rave with the best sonic position or on stage of where a DJ is doing his thing. Insane... :L3000:

Apr 12, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #40 of 45
I listen to a lot of electronica. I find the Abyss TC, SR1a, Susvara and HD800 all excel at electronic music. The SR1a and HD800 are best for non-bass heavy tracks that require speed and good spatial reproduction, the Susvara are all-rounders that sound pretty good with everything and the TC are best for bass-dominant EDM and are a close second for soundstage, resolution and speed as well.

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #41 of 45
Hey I was recently searching for this topic and I was thinking about buying the E-MU Teak for EDM. I have a FiiO Q3 and M11 Pro which should be fine to drive out of and my only other headphones are the FH3 and V-MODA crossfade M100. I wanted a good midfi/entry hifi over ear to dip my toes after falling in love with the FH3 and getting me more into audiophilia. It's not TOTL but I thought it would be a good intro, thoughts?
I had a very similar journey based on your feedback there, and that you're also in an EDM thread. Based on that, I'd recommend grabbing an Oppo PM-3 used. It was a huge eye opener for me and I loved the sound. I'd still have it today except that it got screwing stolen.

If you haven't heard it before, it was by digital tech company called Oppo, but they are a fast mover and aggressively put the brakes on their entire audio division a couple years ago. A Group Buy company called Drop bought up their IP, made some adjustments, and added in a THX DAC+amp and took the PM-3 wireless about a year ago, now called the Panda... I haven't heard the Panda, so I can't say how it compares, but there's a bit of positive feedback on it vs. the PM-3 and it's in a similar price range. The PM-3 newly used goes for about $200-250, and the Panda goes for about $325.

I haven't heard the EMU Teaks, but I have heard their upper line a lot and liked them a lot for EDM. However, I think the PM-3s are even better, IMO of course.

Good luck.

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #42 of 45
Senn HD25 is the best i've heard so far. Didn't try LCD-4, Rad-0 or Abyss for various reasons (weight, amp power, frequency response).

Currently burning in a HE1000V2 but i don't think its the ideal choice for EDM.
I'm not being condescending, but are you a real EDM guy? The HD25 isn't a real EDM headphone, so if that's your baseline, these other ones might put on a pretty different show. I'm not sure what that might turn out like for you.
(Edit: I also used to own the HD25s. They were fine, but they're totally not the same kind of sound signature as anything being recommended here and they're not EDM headphones.)

I had the HEKv1s and I thought they were great for EDM. I also have the HE-6 4-screw OG and love them. They're not really that hard to amp, the guess work is all out of that now after ~10 years of people figuring it out and posting about it.

I think the HEKv2s would be alright, even if they weren't amazing. I know the tuning changed from v1 to v2, but not the entire headphones.

Based on the majority of feedback so far, the Abyss TC is easily the front runner. If they're in your price range, why not figure out how to get them at home and put the time in to figure them out? I know people complain about the fit a lot, but usually not the comfort like people do about Audeze. They're the top recommended for your question right now, I'd say that's worth trying them out for yourself.

Where are you sitting on this whole topic now?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #43 of 45
I'm not being condescending, but are you a real EDM guy? The HD25 isn't a real EDM headphone, so if that's your baseline, these other ones might put on a pretty different show. I'm not sure what that might turn out like for you.
(Edit: I also used to own the HD25s. They were fine, but they're totally not the same kind of sound signature as anything being recommended here and they're not EDM headphones.)

I had the HEKv1s and I thought they were great for EDM. I also have the HE-6 4-screw OG and love them. They're not really that hard to amp, the guess work is all out of that now after ~10 years of people figuring it out and posting about it.

I think the HEKv2s would be alright, even if they weren't amazing. I know the tuning changed from v1 to v2, but not the entire headphones.

Based on the majority of feedback so far, the Abyss TC is easily the front runner. If they're in your price range, why not figure out how to get them at home and put the time in to figure them out? I know people complain about the fit a lot, but usually not the comfort like people do about Audeze. They're the top recommended for your question right now, I'd say that's worth trying them out for yourself.

Where are you sitting on this whole topic now?
What is real EDM and not real EDM? Yeah i also listen to all kinds of techno and trance.

Had the HEKv2's and they were maybe the best so far but they were also not enough for me to keep them for EDM only. Sold them and bought a second pair of HD25 with a longer cable.

Aug 28, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #44 of 45
EDM (really gerneralized) and the audiophile community. What a short lived thread. To me reading, listening to reviewers/opinions I have to take everything with a grain of salt...
Actually I only take that grain of salt, really have to disgard most of it.
What do I care about the timbre of (non existing) voices? If instruments sound natural?

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #45 of 45
100% Abyss 1266 Phi TC

^repeating what he said, following what she says, she is my heart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back