TOTL dac suggestions - torn between Bricasti and Holo May
Nov 23, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 30
Thank you.
Glad you're enjoying your M3h.
Yes, I opted for the Network Playing Card + Remote.
I had no interest in the amp section being I already own 2 in my main system, but I'm told that it is indeed a very good amp. What DAC did you own before the M3h? Also, has anyone here owned both, the KTE Spring and M3?
Previously I used the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. The Bricasti is better.. haven’t tried the KTE sorry

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 30
Loving the Weiss DAC501-4Ch. Swiss precision.

The clock and the algorithms developed over the last 35 years make it special.

Heard great things about the Weiss. How does it compare to whichever prior DACs you've had?

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #19 of 30
Heard great things about the Weiss. How does it compare to whichever prior DACs you've had?
In my search for my TOTL DAC I auditioned the Mola Mola Tambaqui, the dCS Bartok and Lina DAC, the Rockna Wavedream DAC, Holo May, several Lampizator DACs all the Chord DACs and a few others.

For my ears and with where sound is moving I went with the Weiss. Alot of wonderful options for everyone.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 30
My friend who loved his Yggdrasil as I do went for a Bricasti M21 . I do need to hear a M3 in my system.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #21 of 30
In my search for my TOTL DAC I auditioned the Mola Mola Tambaqui, the dCS Bartok and Lina DAC, the Rockna Wavedream DAC, Holo May, several Lampizator DACs all the Chord DACs and a few others.

For my ears and with where sound is moving I went with the Weiss. Alot of wonderful options for everyone.
Just curious why did the Weiss do it for you ?

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #22 of 30
My friend who loved his Yggdrasil as I do went for a Bricasti M21 . I do need to hear a M3 in my system.
you'll hear it in my system soon :wink:

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 30
Just curious why did the Weiss do it for you ?
It's a Delta Sigma DAC of course. So it's not a popular proposition at this moment. Head-Fiers gush about R2R DACs.

The masses will want these(Delta Sigma)types of DACs to to made in mass and for cheap, overseas. Some can be good, a few very good, in theory.

Weiss takes this, very good idea and executes everything else perfectly. The power supply regulations and all clocking. Because of Weiss and their long reputation in pro audio(algorithm), I have the feeling that the home Hi-Fi world is a added win. The bread and butter is in pro audio(algorithms).. Indeed Hi-Fi is almost a sport to Weiss. It's a natural progression. They have a silly amount of intellectual property(algorithms) in this domain, why not make it accessible to the Hi-Fi community. Who makes the world's best opamps? Weiss. It's not an accident.

Daniel Weiss was kind enough to make a Weiss Dac501-4ch for me when I called him during a trip. We met up lakeside in Zurich. He's a special man, good enough to achieve a technical Grammy award for his work in digital. Good enough for me.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #24 of 30
you'll hear it in my system soon :wink:
M
It's a Delta Sigma DAC of course. So it's not a popular proposition at this moment. Head-Fiers gush about R2R DACs.

The masses will want these(Delta Sigma)types of DACs to to made in mass and for cheap, overseas. Some can be good, a few very good, in theory.

Weiss takes this, very good idea and executes everything else perfectly. The power supply regulations and all clocking. Because of Weiss and their long reputation in pro audio, I have the feeling that the home Hi-Fi world is a added win. The bread and butter is in pro audio. Indeed Hi-Fi is almost a sport to Weiss. It's a natural progression. They have a silly amount of intellectual property in this domain, why not make it accessible to the Hi-Fi community. Who makes the world's best opamps? Weiss. It's not an accident.

Daniel Weiss was kind enough to make a Weiss Dac501-4ch for me when I called him during a trip. We met up lakeside in Zurich. He's a special man, good enough to achieve a technical Grammy award for his work in digital. Good enough for me.
You said zero of the sound of the Dac.

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #26 of 30
Received the Bricasti M3 w/Network Playing Card + Remote yesterday for a change from the ultraRendu > Kitsune Tuned Edition SU-1 DDC > Kitsune Tuned Edition Spring DAC. With only +/-12hrs burn-in (4hrs listening time) it sounds very, very promising in my system, especially since I'm eliminating 3 other components and using the M3 by itself via AoIP. Much, much more time is needed before making any decisions being I've been using all of the former for 4+yrs and am tuned to its signature.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #27 of 30
Received the Bricasti M3 w/Network Playing Card + Remote yesterday for a change from the ultraRendu > Kitsune Tuned Edition SU-1 DDC > Kitsune Tuned Edition Spring DAC. With only +/-12hrs burn-in (4hrs listening time) it sounds very, very promising in my system, especially since I'm eliminating 3 other components and using the M3 by itself via AoIP. Much, much more time is needed before making any decisions being I've been using all of the former for 4+yrs and am tuned to its signature.
I know this is an old post, but which one did you keep at the end? :)

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #28 of 30
I know this is an old post, but which one did you keep at the end? :)
In the end I bought a Spring 3 KTE DAC and Red Streamer/DDC (within ~3 months) of owning the Bricasti and waiting ~4 months to sell the Bricasti. The Bricasti was a great sounding DAC--as well as a convince due to less components because of the Network Plating Card, but just didn't sound as rich, warm and full as the Spring DAC. Keep in mind that I owned my original Spring KTE for ~5yrs--so I was very accustom to its presentation and missed it very much.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #29 of 30
Cool, good to know that. I guess you must also benefit from Red's versatility. At least it will support more music streaming services and also hqplayer.

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #30 of 30
Cool, good to know that. I guess you must also benefit from Red's versatility. At least it will support more music streaming services and also hqplayer.
Red is very versatile--but I've only experimented with the Red OS so far without issue. I also have an SD card with HQPlayer on it--but have yet to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back