TOTL dac suggestions - torn between Bricasti and Holo May
Apr 9, 2021 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Jeweltopia

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all. So, after 10+ years in the headfi hobby, I'm deciding to take the leap to a TOTL dac. I've been around for a long while and had some perfectly adequate lower end dac models. My most expensive dac purchase to date has been the Schiit Bifrost 2. While it served me well, I was recently at a headfi meet where a friend of mine brought over his Bricasti M3 dac that had the built in streamer card. This is a $6,500 dac and I was really trying my very best to not like it, but, I have to say that it's a few leagues above my Schiit Bifrost 2. I would say that it is neutral-warm. It has some nice low end but isn't quite as thick and bloomy as my Bifrost 2 can be. That being said, I've always longed for a really higher end R2R and I keep hearing so much praise for the Holo May. The Holo May would cost less than the Bricasti M3 but the upsides of the Bricasti M3 is that it is a US based product and would have US customer support. Plus, I've already heard it and liked it a lot. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like other dacs as well. My two amps are the GS-X Mini that I already have and the LTA Z10 amplifier which I also heard at the headfi meet and absolutely loved. I guess what I'm looking for in a dac is a natural and more life-like type of sound, that's not too harsh or digital sounding, and still quite fast while retaining musicality. Would like a dac that has the qualities of being natural and life-like, musical, but still fairly detailed and quick. I felt as though the Bricasti M3 ticked these boxes but have been told from one person that I trust that Holo May ticks all of those boxes better. Of course, that was only one opinion, hence why I'm looking for more opinions.

I know that it's really slim but on the off chance that someone here has heard a Holo May (or even a Holo Spring) and a Bricasti dac, I'd love to hear suggestions from someone who has heard both or is familiar with both. I know that I'm asking a bit of a niche question.

Apr 9, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 30
After googling both DACs, it looks like the Holo May not only has more individual buyer reviews, but with all 5 stars. Also, according to reviews, the Bricasti M3 has a more sturdy construction, whereas the Holo May is the signature winner. Because of this, the Bricasti M3 is best as a transportable DAC (for socially-distanced meets and such, I guess), whereas the Holo May is best as a sit-down and listen for yourself DAC. I mean, the Holo May is an R2R DAC that supports up to DSD1024...but let’s see what others can find between the two as well. :)

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 30
I will say that Mojo Audio EVO Mystique DAC, a non-oversampling resistor-to-resistor build, deserves real consideration as a TOTL offering.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 30
I've heard great things about the Holo May DAC, but haven't listened to one personally. One thing is certain: their casework is sublimely beautiful. I was even asked by a fellow mfr to come up with a case design that mimics theirs. Holo actually detracts from their beautiful design with socket-head bolts sticking out in the back, but still - no casework fasteners are visible at front, top, bottom and sides. That sort of attention bodes well for the sound performance, IMHO, and it seems all the reviews back that up.

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 30
Why not check for Rockna Wavedream as well?

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 30
Im in love with my Lampizator Atlantic TRP.

Customer service is outstanding too.

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 30
:point_up:What he said. Give Lampizator a serious consideration.
The May DAC have more reviews. And have same design elements as LTA.
But I think in this level its not more about performance, but more on personal preference. So..your ears.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 30
After googling both DACs, it looks like the Holo May not only has more individual buyer reviews, but with all 5 stars. Also, according to reviews, the Bricasti M3 has a more sturdy construction, whereas the Holo May is the signature winner. Because of this, the Bricasti M3 is best as a transportable DAC (for socially-distanced meets and such, I guess), whereas the Holo May is best as a sit-down and listen for yourself DAC. I mean, the Holo May is an R2R DAC that supports up to DSD1024...but let’s see what others can find between the two as well. :)

Hey! Well, the reason that the Bricasti M3 might not have enough reviews is because it's not as hyped up in headfi crowds but Bricasti is extremely well known in speaker circles. They're highly respected in speaker circles but I don't think there's quite as much hype around them in headfi. Plus, it is a newer Bricasti. Their M1 and M1SE have been around longer. I've seen on some speaker forums where people compared the Bricasti M3 comes around 80% close to Bricasti's $16,000 M21 dac, which is a feat if that's true. I've seen several people say it comes close to the M21. I haven't heard it so can't comment on that. But I digress.

Also, I'm going to look into Lampizator as well and give it a serious consideration.

The issue as well with Holo dacs is that they're quite hard to demo. I could, in theory, drive two hours down the road and find a Rockna or Bricasti dac to try, but Holo? Hmmm, not so much. More so relying on internet info if I go with that dac. Although, I do have friends who have heard and some who do own the Holo May and they recommend it highly. Having US customer support would be ideal because I personally have heard of some people waiting two months or so to have their dacs even shipped out, then having issues, it needing to be sent back overseas, worked on, and then more time would go by and they'd sort of be stuck without a dac.

But my main thing is that I've heard Bricasti M3 and just wish I could hear more dacs as well such as Holo stuff. Just wanted to know other options, so, thanks guys for the Lampizator recommendations. Will look into it!

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 30
I didn't listen to either of those two, so unfortunately I can't answer your question directly.

In those upper price Segment I am pretty sure thst objectively all of the options are great.
So you can't go wrong.
It's more about finding the one that fits your taste best.

Auditioning is hard in these times, however I'd still contact Kitsune Hifi, what options they offer. Maybe you can get a loaner.
Tim from Kistune is a great guy and enthusiast like us, I'm sure there are options to demo a May.

Personally I own a Rockna Wavelight and have the corresponding Server on pre order. Certainly a unit on the same level, also with great customer Support.
I also know of quite a few deals to get them at attractive pricing(in the EU) So worth looking into as well.

As already mentioned ny others, Lampizator should be on everyones list for endgame DACs.
Most likely something like an Atlantic R2R TRP would check all of my boxes. However I overspent hard in 2020, so time to save up before I try one.
Just like with the others emails get answered promptly from the Designer himself.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 30
I get my DCS Rossini and Clock delivered Monday. I chose the Rossini because it consolidated three pieces(dac,streamer and psu) into one. It is also upgradable Via firmware. If it is in your budget you might consider. Lead time for me was nine weeks.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 30
I considered the M3 and May as well but ended up with the Rockna Wavelight. It is nothing but a Dac....no streamer built in....no headphone amp. I believe it was the best pure dac of the 3. Sure the M3 was a better cost savings as I wouldnt have had to buy a streamer....but I was looking for the best possible sound. I ended up with a Lumin U1 Mini to go with the Rockna and I am extremely pleased.

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 30
I got the Bricast M3 a couple of weeks ago and enjoying it immensely. I can't comment on the May as I've never heard it. As far as the Bricasti:
- It is beautifully constructed, sim and slik. Luxrious feeling remote.
- Minimalistic esthetic aside, it's funtionaly reach. Option Roon Ready network card, and optional built-in SS headphone amp (both of which I have; the latter is denoted by M3h model variation).
- My comparison is to the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge from which I recently upgraded to the Bricasti. I love the tonality of the Bricasti. Leaving ambiguous terms aside, I simply enjoy listening to it very, very much. It's still new in my setup, but it's a keeper (as to my tastes: my genres are mostly jazz, acoustics, vocals; favorite cans are the VC and Thekk among others).

Bricasti is a brand that is very well known in the recording business, but small footprint with consumers. Check their website and some online videos to get a feel for them. One email I sent them post purchase with some quesitons got super fast reply, and they seem like a good company to do business with from first impressions (based near Boston).

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 30
My UpTone Audio LPS-1 failed me, and recently my LPS-1.2 as well which powered my ultraRendu. While I was searching for a new LPS it snowballed into looking for an integrated LPS/streamer then to going in a totally different direction and buying the Bricasti M3 DAC w/Network Playing Card + Remote. Being I can use AoIP direct with this DAC and use it as my Roon endpoint I was very interested in it.

I'm also interested in comparing it to my Kitsune Tuned Edition Holo Spring DAC (which I've totally enjoyed for +/-4yrs now) and being they're both different topologies piqued my interest ever more. My decision to choose the M3 was influenced by my fellow Head-Fi friend @llamaluv who really enjoys his M3h as both, an amp and DAC and also uses it for AoIP.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #14 of 30
My UpTone Audio LPS-1 failed me, and recently my LPS-1.2 as well which powered my ultraRendu. While I was searching for a new LPS it snowballed into looking for an integrated LPS/streamer then to going in a totally different direction and buying the Bricasti M3 DAC w/Network Playing Card + Remote. I know this isn't a streamer, but being I can use AoIP direct with this DAC and use it as my Roon endpoint I was very interested in it.

I'm also interested in comparing it to my Kitsune Tuned Edition Holo Spring DAC (which I've totally enjoyed for +/-4yrs now) and being they're both different topologies piqued my interest ever more. My decision to choose the M3 was influenced by my fellow Head-Fi friend @llamaluv who really enjoys his M3h as both, an amp and DAC and also uses it for AoIP. Maybe in the future I'll continue to look into a streamer but for now, I can't wait for the M3 to arrive.

Congrats! Great choice..

I’ve had the M3h for over a year now and love it. The built in network card (assuming you got that add on) provides a seamless Roon Ready experience. Form factor and build quality are superb (and the remote is satisfyingly hefty). Most importantly, it sounds wonderful. I personally don’t use the built in amp much these days as I use an external tube amp, but the built in amp is capable and good as well!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 30
Congrats! Great choice..

I’ve had the M3h for over a year now and love it. The built in network card (assuming you got that add on) provides a seamless room ready experience. Form factor and build quality are superb (and the remote is satisfyingly hefty). Most importantly, it sounds wonderful. I personally don’t use the built in amp much these days as I use an external tube amp, but the built in amp is capable and good as well!
Thank you.
Glad you're enjoying your M3h.
Yes, I opted for the Network Playing Card + Remote.
I had no interest in the amp section being I already own 2 in my main system, but I'm told that it is indeed a very good amp. What DAC did you own before the M3h? Also, has anyone here owned both, the KTE Spring and M3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back