Total Novice Inquiry Into "Tin Headphone Amps" (Cmoy)
Nov 10, 2011 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Pinnochio5

New Head-Fier

Hello All,

I'm totally new here. I joined because I have an interest in DIY projects, and since there's a 4-day weekend coming up I'd like to build something that I actually want.

I would like to build a headphone amp which will be put to use by my ipod and Shure 440. My first question is; If I build this thing correctly, will the quality really be worth it? I'm choosing to DIY because I would like to be able to tweak it and have ideal listening. If the Cmoy can offer that then I'm all ears.

I have a pretty limited knowledge of electronic components. And have pretty much zero clue of what anything on the Cmoy parts list meant.

I've taken a few pictures of the supplies I currently posess that could potentially be used for building the amp. What I'd like to know is if they can be used, what else I would need for the build and what some of the things mean. 

Here's all the parts I have currently.

Basic Soldering pencil (Nexxx or something like that), from Radio Shack. There's also a desoldering tool and solder (not sure of the kind)

Tobacco Tin (This probably won't be the one I'm gonna use, my dad smokes tobacco pipes, and we've literally got at least a thousand tins like this of all shapes and sizes)

All I know is that these are resistors. If I can use them in the build, I have no idea whatsoever. 

More resistors

And even more resistors.....

Found this thing in the garage, no clue what is does or is. Probably useless for my need, but who knows. 

A bunch of jumper cables, I've got quite a few packs of these.

Some more components I have. I know what the LEDS are (but will I also need a green LED?), and the thing on the far right is just a push button (not very descriptive explanation)

And finally my precious baby. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So overall what I'm asking for is some help. Will any of those components I have prove useful? What else am I going to need? And most importantly, how am I going to build it? I hope this thread will be useful to anyone that's stuck in my position in the future (If all goes well with the build I assume :wink: )

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 76

Quote:
You should follow this tutorial:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

X2 i made a slightly modified high gain Cmoy with much help from there, works great. FWIW i don't think you're gonna hear much difference since the SRH 440s are reasonably easy to drive directly from source. 

Good Luck!

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 76
hey, im really thinking of getting some SRH440's and can you give me a quick impression, are they really great? What do they sound like, how big are they? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 76
So I've assembled a mouser project specifically for my Cmoy. What I'm gonna do is get the DIP socket tangentsoft recommended, and buy 2 different Op-amps. The first is the basic OPA134, and the second is the pricey and classy OPA627. I'm getting two just in case of something happening (which let's hope nothing does :wink: ) .

Is this a good idea?

Here's my part's run-down (My mouser project), this is not including LEDs and the protoboard, which I will pick up at Radio Shack tomorrow.

Product Detail Customer Part #
Order Qty.
Price
(CAD)
Ext.
(CAD)
Mouser #: 595-OPA134PA  
Mfr. #: OPA134PA
Manufacturer: Texas Instruments
Desc.: Op Amps SoundPlus(TM) Hi-Perf Aud Oper Amp
RoHS: RoHS Compliant
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$3.11 $3.11
Mouser #: 271-47-RC  
Mfr. #: 271-47-RC
Manufacturer: Xicon
Desc.: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 47ohms 1% 50PPM
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$0.142 $0.28
Mouser #: 534-2240  
Mfr. #: 2240
Manufacturer: Keystone Electronics
Desc.: Battery Holders, Snaps & Contacts 9V BATTERY STRAP
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$1.30 $2.60
Mouser #: 450-7031  
Mfr. #: 450-7031
Manufacturer: Eagle Plastic Devices
Desc.: Knobs & Dials BLACK ALUM .61 D
RoHS: No
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$2.78 $2.78
Mouser #: 688-RK0971111Z0P  
Mfr. #: RK0971111Z0P
Manufacturer: ALPS
Desc.: Potentiometers Flat 15mm 20k
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$2.36 $2.36
Mouser #: 10TA805  
Mfr. #: 10TA805
Manufacturer:  
Desc.: Toggle Switches SPST ON-OFF STD LVR
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$2.47 $2.47
Mouser #: 575-11043308  
Mfr. #: 110-43-308-41-001000
Manufacturer: Mill-Max
Desc.: IC & Component Sockets 8P TIN PIN GOLD CONT
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$0.917 $0.92
Mouser #: 502-35RAPC4BH3  
Mfr. #: 35RAPC4BH3
Manufacturer: Switchcraft
Desc.: Phone Connectors 3.5MM STEREO JACK
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$2.46 $4.92
Mouser #: 595-OPA627AP  
Mfr. #: OPA627AP
Manufacturer: Texas Instruments
Desc.: Op Amps Prec High-Speed Difet Oper Amp
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$23.06 $23.06
Mouser #: 271-1K-RC  
Mfr. #: 271-1K-RC
Desc.: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1Kohms 1% 50PPM
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$0.142 $0.28
Mouser #: 271-100K-RC  
Mfr. #: 271-100K-RC
Desc.: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 100Kohms 1% 50PPM
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$0.142 $0.28
Mouser #: 271-4.7K-RC  
Mfr. #: 271-4.7K-RC
Desc.: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 4.7Kohms 1% 50PPM
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$0.142 $0.28
Mouser #: 271-10K-RC  
Mfr. #: 271-10K-RC
Desc.: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 10Kohms 1% 50PPM
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$0.142 $0.85
Mouser #: 75-MKT1813410014  
Mfr. #: MKT1813410014
Manufacturer: Vishay
Desc.: DC Link Film Capacitors 0.1uF 100volts 5%
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$1.10 $2.20
Mouser #: 647-UVR1V221MPA  
Mfr. #: UVR1V221MPA
Manufacturer: Nichicon
Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 220uF 35V 20%
 ​

notepad-no-note.png

Availability
Ships Now

$0.393

The total for merchandise came to: $50.00. With shipping it was a tad bit over $60.00. I'm using all of tangentsoft's most recommended parts (I also have 6 of one resistor type), 2 Op-amps including the most expensive one. So If you are wondering what it would cost without the OPA627 it would be roughly $30-35 ($45 w/ shipping).

Let me know what you think, and as I said any advice would be really great, as I'm pretty new to this. However I've done quite a bit of research and I can safely say I'm kinda getting it (though no where near an intermediate level).

Thanks!!!

Oh and to answer this question:

Quote:
hey, im really thinking of getting some SRH440's and can you give me a quick impression, are they really great? What do they sound like, how big are they? Thanks.

Yes, they are really great, they're my first really good cans and they are the best for their price. They sound like what good phones should sound like everything is level, the bass is great (but not abusive, which I like a lot). In terms of size, they seem to be "fine to wear in public and not look like a complete clown", plus they have a very sleek and modern look unlike the Senns. Get em'!

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 76
you need dual opamps, get a LME 49720NA or AD823AN
thanks for the impressions, im pretty much fixed on buying them now.

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 76
Hi all,

I'm also a novice in DIY thinking of swaping the OPA2227 in my Cmoy for other Opamps.

As you are talking about single channel Opamps I'd like to ask you some questions.

Is it possible to use 2xSingle-channel Opamps with an adapter instead of a dual opamp? and
Will they run with a 9v battery? or will it be necesary to use a DC power supply?

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 76
For the OP and Jacm...

You can use SOIC single op amps with a dual SOIC to DIP adapter from Brown Dog.
You can use DIP single op amps with this adapter but you need to plan on the extra
room it needs.
You could also just modify the build to use the two single op amps. You did know you needed
to buy 2 OPA627 or OPA134?

Maybe it would be better just to stick to OPA2134 to start with...

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm also a novice in DIY thinking of swaping the OPA2227 in my Cmoy for other Opamps.

As you are talking about single channel Opamps I'd like to ask you some questions.

Is it possible to use 2xSingle-channel Opamps with an adapter instead of a dual opamp? and
Will they run with a 9v battery? or will it be necesary to use a DC power supply?

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 76
The OPA104 adaptor lets you use a pair of single channel Opamps in a socket designed for one dual channel opamp. Could I use that for the OPA627s and the OPA134s?

DO I need to mount the 2 OPA627s which are mounted to a single op amp to dual opamp adapter, which is then mounted to the socket which is mounted to the protoboard?

I'm getting OPA627APs which don't require the Brown Dog adapter. But if anyone could teach me the difference between the (I think its called) DIP and SOIC connections? Is it just that they are different in the way they are inserted?

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 76
Thanks Avro_Arrow,

I did know I need two Single-Channel OP, in fact I've decided to go for 2xAD825 (I read they are great OPs), but I don't know if my BSG Cmoy, with a 9v battery will have enough power. As I told you before, I'm a total novice in DIY.

I'll also get a LME49720 or LM4562, I think they've changed only the name, the OPs are still the same but,

Do you think it is worthy to get them from ebay? Cause I've read that normally they're second-handed or even low quality fakes.

Pinnochio5,

The SOIC OPs need to be solded

and the DIP connection are inserted directly, but I think there are no more differences concerning how they work.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 76
$23 for an opamp? As a single, it will be x2. For a Cmoy? :rofl:

I would stick to dual opamps, single socket for your first build. As someone else noted, if you use a dual DIP adapter to use a pair of singles, the chances of sticking this in an Altoids tin are slim and none due to height. You might want to look at the OPA2107... this seems to sound similar to the 627s, is a dual, and was always one of my favorites in a Cmoy.

Also, use 470uf caps instead of the 220uf you have listed. Look for some Panasonic FM, 470uf 25V (Mouser has them)

Go bigger on the input caps (or omit them). 0.47uf or even 1uf if you use them.

The pot you listed is mono, not stereo. Use the RK0971221Z05.
This pot (same one Amb and Tangent sell) has a built-in power switch, so you can omit the switch in your BOM.

EDIT: I see that these are ~$17... I would stick with the OPA2132 or 2134 for starters, and work your way up.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 76

Quote:
$23 for an opamp? As a single, it will be x2. For a Cmoy? :rofl:

I would stick to dual opamps, single socket for your first build. As someone else noted, if you use a dual DIP adapter to use a pair of singles, the chances of sticking this in an Altoids tin are slim and none due to height. You might want to look at the OPA2107... this seems to sound similar to the 627s, is a dual, and was always one of my favorites in a Cmoy.

Also, use 470uf caps instead of the 220uf you have listed. Look for some Panasonic FM, 470uf 25V (Mouser has them)

Go bigger on the input caps (or omit them). 0.47uf or even 1uf if you use them.

The pot you listed is mono, not stereo. Use the RK0971221Z05.
This pot (same one Amb and Tangent sell) has a built-in power switch, so you can omit the switch in your BOM.

EDIT: I see that these are ~$17... I would stick with the OPA2132 or 2134 for starters, and work your way up.

It's not an altoids tin. It's 1cm taller (which is actually quite a bit), and wider. If anything doesn't fit, I have a wider and taller tin for that too.

Here's how the opamp looks inside (this is an old Opamp I had from a robot I built a while back, It's a LM368 something). I am able to stack 3 of the Opamps on top of eachother  until the top of the tin, and lay 7 beside eachother in terms of width. Also imagine that there's another 9V battery to the left of that on in there since its gonna be an 18V amp.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 76
It will work with a single 9 volt battery. It would work better with a little higher voltage.
I use an 8 cell NiMH battery pack for my portable amp. That will get you nearly 12 volts
when freshly charged, 9.6 volts most of the time and at 8 volts it time to recharge it.

I only buy from places like DigiKey, Mouser or Newark. I have never bought
any op-amps from e-bay.

I use an LME49720 in my PCM1793 DAC and it think it does a good job in that roll
but I use LT1364 in my portable amp. I would not recommend LT1364 for a beginner or
without a ground plane circuit board.

The silicon (the guts) of an op-amp are the same regardless of the package.

Quote:
Thanks Avro_Arrow,

I did know I need two Single-Channel OP, in fact I've decided to go for 2xAD825 (I read they are great OPs), but I don't know if my BSG Cmoy, with a 9v battery will have enough power. As I told you before, I'm a total novice in DIY.

I'll also get a LME49720 or LM4562, I think they've changed only the name, the OPs are still the same but,

Do you think it is worthy to get them from ebay? Cause I've read that normally they're second-handed or even low quality fakes.

Pinnochio5,

The SOIC OPs need to be solded

and the DIP connection are inserted directly, but I think there are no more differences concerning how they work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back