Total noob questions about converting XLR power cord to headphone extension
Dec 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

McPanse

100+ Head-Fier
I received a 4-pin male to female XLR power cable from Markertek today that I mistakenly believed I could used as an extension cable for my HE-5LE headphones and aftermarket speaker tap. It didn't work and disassembling the Neutrik connectors showed why -- there are only two wires inside the cable, one read and one black.

I've decided to spend New Year's Day (RadioShack is open) trying my hand at a DIY fix.

Here's my plan: solder two lengths of narrow-guage speaker wire to the four pins using the schematic from HiFiMan, reassemble the Neutrik connectors and call it a day.

Can any experienced DIYers out there tell me whether I'm on the right track?

I have plenty of speaker cable around the house, so I figure all I need is a soldering iron, some solder and possibly some heat shrink cable if I want to make the finished product look spiffy. Otherwise, I might just braid the speaker wire for that boutique cable look.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 3
It took me 90 minutes and left me with a small second-degree burn on the back of my thumb, but the cable is built and it works. Sounds the same as my HD-5LE stock cable and aftermarket speaker adapter, so I'm pleased with the results (and the cost). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back