Total noob installing an AV-710.
Feb 20, 2007 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
I've never installed anything on my computer. I've read a bunck of the guides and other posts about installing the sound card, but most of the stuff went right over my head.

Here is my situation. I'm going to be using the 5.1 analog ports to go from my computer to my speakers. I will be splitting the front speakers so they go to my headphone amp and speakers at the same time.

I do not have a soundcard in my computer, just a headphone jack on the motherboard. Does that make sense?

1.) Is there anything I have to do the the card itself when I install it? I know my old computer had a cable running from the back of the CD/DVD player to the sound card. Do I need to do this, is it already connected through the motherboard?

2.) What do I have to remove/uninstall from my computer before I install the new sound card/drivers? Remember, I am not removing an old soundcard.

3.) I know I have to download the drivers from viarena.com. Do I need the CD that came with the soundcard for anything? Should I download the drivers before I install the new card?

4.) What is Kernel, ASIO4all, and Bit Perfect? What do they do?

5.) I will not be using the Digital out, and I don't think I can use the Alt out at the same time as the 5.1 analog. Am I correct? Is there a way to get sound out of the 5.1 speakers and have my headphones playing at the same time, without a splitter?

6.) What am I forgetting?

7.) Am I in over my head?

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 9
Too many questions?

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 9
1. - That cable running from the back of the cd/dvd to the soundcard is only used for very old OS's , if u have anything newer i than win95( or 98 which you most likely do), the audio should be running through the IDE to the motherboard.

2. - Not much, if you want the keep the onboard sound running.... maybe go to control panel and change the sound output to the soundcard instead of the onboard sound...

-However, if you're not using your onboard sound, you could uninstall the drivers, and perhaps disable it in the bios

3. - You can install the card than install the drivers, it doesnt matter, the CD is not necessary, as the VIA drivers include everything you need

4. - Kernel Streaming and ASIO allows the audio playback to bypass the windows kmixer which alters the signal (which is not good)

- Bit perfect is when audio playback is not altered as it goes through the system, which you need the KS or ASIO to accomplish

- ASIO4all is an application which allows, soundcards which do not have native ASIO support to utilize ASIO

5. - I'm not quite sure about this one...The option you suggested doesnt utilize the better alt-output jack, which is suppose to be superior to the front-output.
- If you are picky for optimal settings, then you would split the alt-ouput instead, however you have to switch between 2ch HQ output and the 5.1 ch output in the firmware, and also the sample rate setting in foobar (for 96khz, as thats what the 2ch HQ output uses)everytime you want to use switch between headphone and speaker

6. - you should use the search

7. - maybe

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm going to install it now. Hopefully I don't need to come back here.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never installed anything on my computer. I've read a bunck of the guides and other posts about installing the sound card, but most of the stuff went right over my head.

Here is my situation. I'm going to be using the 5.1 analog ports to go from my computer to my speakers. I will be splitting the front speakers so they go to my headphone amp and speakers at the same time.

I do not have a soundcard in my computer, just a headphone jack on the motherboard. Does that make sense?

1.) Is there anything I have to do the the card itself when I install it? I know my old computer had a cable running from the back of the CD/DVD player to the sound card. Do I need to do this, is it already connected through the motherboard?

2.) What do I have to remove/uninstall from my computer before I install the new sound card/drivers? Remember, I am not removing an old soundcard.

3.) I know I have to download the drivers from viarena.com. Do I need the CD that came with the soundcard for anything? Should I download the drivers before I install the new card?

4.) What is Kernel, ASIO4all, and Bit Perfect? What do they do?

5.) I will not be using the Digital out, and I don't think I can use the Alt out at the same time as the 5.1 analog. Am I correct? Is there a way to get sound out of the 5.1 speakers and have my headphones playing at the same time, without a splitter?

6.) What am I forgetting?

7.) Am I in over my head?

1. You do not need that cable from the CD/DVD anymore, unless you arerunning Win98 or less.

2. Before you shutdown and install the AV710, I would uninstall the sound card listed in Device Manager. Then shutdown and install the AV710

It should look something like this:

3. Yes DL the drivers, do it before you install the card. I would not use the CD, I didn't use it with my AV710.

4. ASIO4ALL is for BitPerfect playback thru the soundcard, highly recommended.

5. I do not know about 5.1 Analog + Headphones, I use the Digital TOSLINK out to my Toshiba Receiver.

6. Forgetting, mebby a headphone Amp
eggosmile.gif
. What kind of cans you working with?

7. Not to worry, just ask for help here
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 9
Ok. Everything is installed.

When I use the optical cable everything sounds great. When I use the analog cables everything sounds good except the front right speaker. It sounds like its torn in half. What do you think would cause that?

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 9
I got ASIO4ALL to work with AV-710, but the sound cut out if other sounds played. I flashed the card to Prodigy 7.1 and used Prodigy 7.1 Drivers for TOSLINK out...works perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back