Total Bithead problem
Jan 6, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i am 100% sure the problem is my wifi

the minute i turn it on, it goes haywire, and if i turn it off i get sweet silence
blink.gif

*yeah, i have mine on low gain, on high gain the bass was just to overwhelming*

Wireless routers have frequencies like phones do. Someone said 2.4 Ghz phones go crazy around their Bithead. so your router is probably operating on a 2.4 GHz frequency.

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #17 of 28
FWIW my Total Airhead (previous generation) works just fine on my Mac (velcroed to the back of the screen) when I have the airport express enabled. Could be the differences between the Airhead/Bithead or the difference between the previous version and the current generation of TAH/TBH I guess.....

Ant

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats EXACTLY what i'm doing and it's having alot of trouble.

i DO have it next to my wireless internet router? coudl this be the culprit?

thanks for the replies guys

*well go figure, the SECOND i turn off my airport the static goes away*

that makes me sad

The wireless antennas in Macs are on the sides of the Screen so this is the worst place to put it. Try various different places, see if that helps. I didnt have this problem with my PowerBook if it was like an inch from the left side.

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW my Total Airhead (previous generation) works just fine on my Mac (velcroed to the back of the screen) when I have the airport express enabled. Could be the differences between the Airhead/Bithead or the difference between the previous version and the current generation of TAH/TBH I guess.....

Ant

You have a mac mini. It was attached to an external monitor that doesnt have the antennas in it. Theres the problem.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a mac mini. It was attached to an external monitor that doesnt have the antennas in it. Theres the problem.

While I do have a Mini, I also have a Powerbook and an iMac. Placed on the back of the screen on the Powerbook my Airhead works fine. It also works fine on the iMac within about 3" of the antenna.

The Mini is the main source for the home system but I use the Powerbook/Airhead combination fairly often when I go into the office.

Ant

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I do have a Mini, I also have a Powerbook and an iMac. Placed on the back of the screen on the Powerbook my Airhead works fine. It also works fine on the iMac within about 3" of the antenna.

The Mini is the main source for the home system but I use the Powerbook/Airhead combination fairly often when I go into the office.

Ant

Yeah, but the Airhead is a different piece of equipment, his computer is a different computer and his context is different
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Condor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but the Airhead is a different piece of equipment, his computer is a different computer and his context is different
tongue.gif

*sigh*... nevermind.

terance, if you have the ability to change the channels on your wireless router you can see if a different channel makes any difference. Each channel provides a slightly different frequency so depending on how much of the range is causing the problem it could help.

Ant

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #24 of 28
I'd send contact Headroom then. They may be able to reproduce the problem and find a solution for you.

Ant

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #28 of 28
Hi, I have a MacBook(Intel)/TotalBithead and can confirm that I have the exact same problem. I have found that with care the problem diminishes significantly as you move the bithead further from the PC. I now use my 3' blackberry charging cable and put the amp below the macbook and as far away from the wireless card as possible. Here is how I found the exact location of my wireless card
smily_headphones1.gif

1. Plug in total bithead and increase the volume to listening levels
2. Go to Speakeasy - Speed Test and run a speed test
3. Move the totalbithead around the computer and you can easily pinpoint the location of the wireless card.

Of course it is right next to the USB ports on my MacBook. Therefore with the stock short USB cable the problem is significantly amplified. I suggest getting a longer cable and just have some faith in the inverse square law
smily_headphones1.gif
The lower volume impedence settings helped me out significantly as well.

Also, your wireless router has channel settings. Assuming wireless g, there is over 500hz of difference between the lowest and highest channel. If you listen in a place where you have control over the wireless network I would recommend changing this. Additionally, wireless power tx adjusts based on your distance from the router so you might see if sitting closer to the router will help out
smily_headphones1.gif

I too was very disappointed to find interference in an amplifier meant for the mobile audiophile.....

Warm Regards,

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back